Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Juvenile attempts to try to rationalize evasion of each person's own personal obligation to be a member of society along with the rest of us don't leave much room for response other than ridiculing the inability to understand simple concepts about life in society with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What are you doing about it bUU, other than blathering on here and who knows where else?
Asked before, never answered.
hey ,he certainly is doing something about it , he is calling everyone else names telling them they should do something about it. although we are still waiting to hear what that something is other than keep reading these articles that keep repeating the same old stuff....

Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 AM
bUU

When someone is beating their wife with a bat, you don't start by talking to them about considering her feelings. You start by getting them to stop the physical harm they're causing. This is a similar, albeit not precisely identical, situation. Before we can talk, as a society, about addressing the injustice, you need to first acknowledge the injustice exists. Go back over the 800+ messages posted in this thread. Read them with an eye toward how much abject antipathy for those less fortunate can be found in the messages from those who resist taking a societal view. If you're affected by the same callous disregard for others, it will be exceedingly difficult for you to recognize the hostility as hostility, to recognize the inhumanity as inhumanity, to recognize the rationalization as rationalization. However, that is the first step: To actually start understanding, acknowledging, and recognizing as a problem the situation that those less fortunate than you face - to actually start caring about the basic needs of others as much as you care about the comfort and luxury you ostensibly protect by resisting acknowledging the basic needs of others. Barring that, those elderly folks with no retirement savings have no hope of receiving reasonable and humane consideration. If they're thought of exclusively in the pejorative manner demonstrated by many posts in this thread, then nothing can be done to even begin to address the problem outlined in the article mentioned cited in the OP.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i think someone needs the dr phil forum ,not the retirement forum.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 AM
bUU

I think some folks do need a "Dr. Phil forum" but not the folks who care about others; rather, it's pretty clear that it is the folks who marginalize the problems faced by our society's poor elderly - those that seek to rationalize the "I've got mine and couldn't care less about others" perspective - that need a little attitude change.

To be fair, I'm not sure Dr. Phil is the right agent, in this regard. He's no paragon with regard to these kinds of issues. He focuses on the individual rather than broader concerns. The most relevant comments he makes involve opening your heart toward others.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 AM

863 posts, read 795,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What are you doing about it bUU, other than blathering on here and who knows where else?
Asked before, never answered.
If you're waiting on an answer to this, good luck. This has been asked multiple times throughout this thread and not once has it been answered other than with more of the same rhetoric. Unless everyone first concedes to his/her points, then you won't get an answer.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
I don't think bUU is presenting on the individual responsible level as much as a societal what is our collective moral core regarding the disadvantaged. I suspect the personal nature of this forum enables his arguments to seem more personal and for us to personalize them. He is not addressing us as individuals but more so as collective individuals. The sheer nature of the concept of society requires us to address some things as a collection of individuals. So for some of us because of our personal beliefs the real question is perhaps What Would Jesus Do? However this forum is not of that topic so we debate, absent the core belief many of us share. My personal beliefs are tempered by my over riding reality that many don't care.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:01 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Sometimes it may not be so much the actual message, but the way it is delivered, that determines how it is received.

For some reason, the word pontificate (express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic) comes to my mind.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Sometimes it may not be so much the actual message, but the way it is delivered, that determines how it is received.

For some reason, the word pontificate (express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic) comes to my mind.
As with those who are strongly anti abortion along with other strong beliefs grounded in morality there is often no alternative to dogmatism. One question that is perhaps of importance is which is worse? A society of conflicting core values or a society absent core values. Yes his style is annoying and many times a turn off and easy to ignore. Perhaps I have benefited seeing his beliefs in other forums and topics. They are often like his postings here and sometimes not at all. If I remember right he is personally affluent and well invested. Perhaps he doesn't differentiate his audiences well. When I think of bUU and his posts I think of a person with a moral imperative and one philosophy course to many

Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
When someone is beating their wife with a bat, you don't start by talking to them about considering her feelings. You start by getting them to stop the physical harm they're causing. This is a similar, albeit not precisely identical, situation. Before we can talk, as a society, about addressing the injustice, you need to first acknowledge the injustice exists. Go back over the 800+ messages posted in this thread. Read them with an eye toward how much abject antipathy for those less fortunate can be found in the messages from those who resist taking a societal view. If you're affected by the same callous disregard for others, it will be exceedingly difficult for you to recognize the hostility as hostility, to recognize the inhumanity as inhumanity, to recognize the rationalization as rationalization. However, that is the first step: To actually start understanding, acknowledging, and recognizing as a problem the situation that those less fortunate than you face - to actually start caring about the basic needs of others as much as you care about the comfort and luxury you ostensibly protect by resisting acknowledging the basic needs of others. Barring that, those elderly folks with no retirement savings have no hope of receiving reasonable and humane consideration. If they're thought of exclusively in the pejorative manner demonstrated by many posts in this thread, then nothing can be done to even begin to address the problem outlined in the article mentioned cited in the OP.
The USG has taken it upon itself to run these programs and we pay taxes so that the USG can take care of these people. Over $1 trillion a year is spent on means tested programs for the poor (not including SS/medicare).

So it's not like these poor are left in the gutter to fend for themselves.
The USG provides or subsidizes the basic necessities for many.

Maybe you don't live in the US so you don't know that we have 85+ programs that cater to the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement