Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Several of my coworkers are in their late 70s or early 80s. All are millionaires, besides having a cushy defined-benefit pension waiting for them. Most have wives who are either lifelong stay-at-home-moms, or who retired decades ago – in some cases with pensions of their own. One fellow is well into his 80s. He retired after a 50+ year career, but then returned to work as a consultant. Another guy retired in the 1990s with a very lavish pension, but regularly comes into the office unpaid. He has a cubicle and computer, and a key-card accessing our building. All of these guys are in impeccable health, and are regulars at the gym. They're involved in community affairs, such as charities or religious organizations. But they refuse to distance themselves from professional employment. Why? Frequently I ask them. The answers are invariably evasive, but the gist is that for 40, 50 or 60 years, the man was defined by the job. To disavow that job is to disavow his very reason for existence. It's tantamount to suicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I think this is one of the saddest posts I've read.
Aqua Blue, I wish you would elaborate on why you find that post sad. The post describes some men who are vital and healthy well into their old age. The reason they are vital and healthy is that they are involved in something that is meaningful to them. The something meaningful is related to their professional employment. Is that what bothers you? If so, I disagree completely.

I take it you subscribe to the opposite general view, namely that work is a drudgery which should be abandoned at the earliest possible moment in order to "enjoy life and do what one wants". Well, I don't have any particular quarrel with that point of view, although I think it's very sad that so many people derive so little enjoyment, satisfaction, and gratification from their work. But for the people who feel that way, they should absolutely do what is best for them - retire early.

What I do have a quarrel with is the refusal to acknowledge that another way of seeing and experiencing things lacks validity. That is narrow-minded to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:27 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A lot of us are going to be limited in what we can do by money. I enjoy traveling, but I highly doubt I'll have the money to do as much as I'd like when retired. Since I'm working, right now I'm more limited by vacation time (and what I do get I usually have to go see family with) than by money.

I know people who retired at 60 and simply didn't want to hit a lick the rest of their lives. My grandfather retired at 62 and never considered working part-time, volunteering, and didn't have many hobbies. Often a retiree who doesn't do anything while in retirement becomes socially isolated.
I will also be limited by money and not get to travel much or do other things I'd like, but there are also things I want to do that don't require much money but do require the TIME I don't have now because of work, like writing or visiting museums and historical places. That's what retirement means to me. Time.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We have semi-retired. We will have no house payment, SS and retirement income. We will continue to work some (real estate appraisers) to supplement and to keep from going absolutely stir-crazy. But with our type of work, we still can spend time kayaking, setting on the beach, etc. Staycation-work lifestyle which will 'work' for us.
I am assuming you mean you will have SS and retirement income. Is that correct?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Because of what's happening here at the workplace - I have scaled back my retire at 67 to retire at 65.

I just cannot take anymore of the bull****. And I want my life back.

They are wanting to get leaner and meaner at work - which means more work for not much more pay.

I'm almost 61 - if I obsess about this any more - I'll be walking out the door tomorrow.
Haha, I feel the same way. I think about how much I can't stand the b.s. every day. I can retire on 15 days notice to the retirement system, but I will need another job for a while to whack down debt. I have a commute of at least 90 minutes each way, so if I can find something closer to home that makes up the difference between my pension and my salary, that would be ideal.

I have to be careful at work because I'm starting not to care about expressing my opinions out loud.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What a great memory to treasure of your father's last days!

Now I want to go home, pour a glass of wine, and find Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral on the Internet.
He was a professional music player and teacher.
It is a wonderful memory.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM

505 posts, read 716,583 times
ER, It was probably somewhat because it would have been a wedding anniversary and I was in a little bit of a weird mood. Normally I think those things but don't bother posting.

But, I found it sad that someone is so totally attached to their job, that stopping would be suicide. My personal philosophy is that I don't want anything to be so important that I can't live without it. I want to have a broad enough emotional base that any one thing doesn't tip my over. It sounded sad to me that someone has a one legged stool, with working being that leg and the stool would tip over if that leg was gone. Sounds like an unhealthy way to live.

Obviously there are lots of views of the world and how to function in it.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I do know people that committed suicide after losing their job...

One worked for Chrysler and he was just part of those let go when Chrysler almost went under in the late 70's

Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
ER, It was probably somewhat because it would have been a wedding anniversary and I was in a little bit of a weird mood. Normally I think those things but don't bother posting.

But, I found it sad that someone is so totally attached to their job, that stopping would be suicide. My personal philosophy is that I don't want anything to be so important that I can't live without it. I want to have a broad enough emotional base that any one thing doesn't tip my over. It sounded sad to me that someone has a one legged stool, with working being that leg and the stool would tip over if that leg was gone. Sounds like an unhealthy way to live.

Obviously there are lots of views of the world and how to function in it.
Thanks for that intelligent and well-reasoned response. We are not really as far apart as I first assumed. I do appreciate the clarification of your views.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
I have seen and heard of people dying on the job. Once life is over its over. Myself I will never retire unless I want to. I building my direct selling organization where there's no need to consider retirement.

Sure I get the it won't work and every thing is a scam, I say fine. Keep living and you do you. The problem is what people say can't be done is being done. So for those who are concerned about having to work to the grave work your job but build a part time business.

The way things are going that's not living. Cut back to needs verse wants now and start planning your life. It's never too late. Life ends with one to a casket and we never see a hearse with a luggage rack.

Let me say it one more time. Work your job but build a business on nights and weekends.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I had a coworker retire - did his 30 years. Worked in IT. His wife wanted to move to Tennessee and so he did.

Within 6 months he committed suicide.

We were all taken by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement