Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times

Advertisements

I would suggest that you maximize the usage of whatever is available. Everyone has something and most folks only partially use what is available to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I would suggest that you maximize the usage of whatever is available. Everyone has something and most folks only partially use what is available to them.
Very true. That can also include skills and talent, as well.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
My tips for living abundantly -- in retirement -- or otherwise, is to the best you're able do what YOU want to do, as along as it doesn't hurt others. If you want to bake, or volunteer, or fish or travel -- and need to do that on a budget in order to be able to afford to do that, then search out bargains or cheaper ways to do those things. And the tighter the budget the more 'creative you may have to be....like with bartering for example, or the trade schools examples for massages, haircuts and auto repairs, dental work, etc.
Yes, people who can engage in creative thinking will find themselves in much better shape than those who cannot.

Bartering can work in many different situations.

Also, we can put together blogs for nothing (well, the cost of a hosting service, of course, but some platforms don't even require doing that, i.e wordpress.com). There are many ways to share knowledge as well as connect with others through the internet in order to barter or share services or goods.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's amazing what you might find in the way of good quality (and it's often even hardly worn) clothing or other items in thrift stores like Goodwill or consignment stores. Finding it requires looking through a lot of stuff, and even multiple trips sometimes because you won't always find something you with every trip. But being retired can give a person more time to go looking.
I truly enjoy these "hunting and gathering" trips. So does hubby.

Costs you nothing unless you find something you need/can use -- and then it is available for pennies on the dollar.

Some people also find items at thrift stores to sale on eBay. That's not for everyone but it is a way to generate revenue, if one is so inclined.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post

Costs you nothing unless you find something you need/can use -- and then it is available for pennies on the dollar.
I had another great day at our great Goodwill today. After lunch I got into a spring fever "get rid of things" mode and filled 3 paper bags of stuff and went in just to drop them off. The greeter cheerily said "Senior Day!" and I perked right up and grabbed a shopping cart. Two practically new spring tops (Lands End and a Talbots), a zip up windbreaker, new ribbed pullover cotton sweater, a brand new Columbia fleece jacket, 12 beautiful woven place mats...with Senior discount, plus the color discount tags and then another discount (you choose a plastic egg and see what you get), the total was $12 and something. I can't get over that Columbia jacket. It jumped off the rack into my hands as I was about to leave the store. Ironically, I had just brought in some old fleeces that I never want to see again. The only problem is that there is no downsizing when out = in.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:42 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post

Some people also find items at thrift stores to sale on eBay. That's not for everyone but it is a way to generate revenue, if one is so inclined.
I think a lot of folks do that, and they can make a fair amount of money doing it too. I think it's a great idea, but I'm one of those folks that this isn't for, mainly because I've always hated selling anything. But that's just me.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I had another great day at our great Goodwill today. After lunch I got into a spring fever "get rid of things" mode and filled 3 paper bags of stuff and went in just to drop them off. The greeter cheerily said "Senior Day!" and I perked right up and grabbed a shopping cart. Two practically new spring tops (Lands End and a Talbots), a zip up windbreaker, new ribbed pullover cotton sweater, a brand new Columbia fleece jacket, 12 beautiful woven place mats...with Senior discount, plus the color discount tags and then another discount (you choose a plastic egg and see what you get), the total was $12 and something. I can't get over that Columbia jacket. It jumped off the rack into my hands as I was about to leave the store. Ironically, I had just brought in some old fleeces that I never want to see again. The only problem is that there is no downsizing when out = in.
Hey - you did take something out, lol. And it would have been foolish not to have scooped up the jacket! I am blown away! All that for $12!!!

That was quite the fortuitous donation trip. Gotta grab the bargains when you find them. You will find something else to drop off at Goodwill to keep the balance with out and in, lol.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 21,586 times
For those of you looking for cruise bargains, Carnival has some "port hole" rooms that are priced the same as interior cabins. They are usually at the very front on the ship. If the water is rough, it will be felt more at the front on the ship, but lots of people prefer them to interior cabins for the same price.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
For those of you looking for cruise bargains, Carnival has some "port hole" rooms that are priced the same as interior cabins. They are usually at the very front on the ship. If the water is rough, it will be felt more at the front on the ship, but lots of people prefer them to interior cabins for the same price.
That is a very helpful tip, indeed!

Do you know what class ship these are on? Like - Conquest only?

Thank you for that little tidbit, BHOFERP.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 PM

195 posts, read 186,370 times
A lot depends upon what the meaning of "deprived' means to you. Living in one building, for years at a time, is deprivation to me. I don't get to see different places and people, and I'm stuck with whatever weather hits that place. Me, I'd rather live in my van and move with the seasons. I like SW Oregon for summers, sw CO for spring and fall and S Cal for the winter. To me, eliminating the costs of commuting, work meals, rent, and utilities saves me enough that i don't have to have a regular job. That is very much a liberating thing. But i do have to keep my stuff organized, or there's no room to sleep in the van. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement