Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Please---have 2 bathrooms, or at least 1.5 baths. Otherwise, there's ZERO resale value!

Also, that second bath goes a long ways towards reducing stress/tension between the two of you. Regardless how well you get along, you are sisters, etc, you just don't realize how your habits change as you get older. I am currently rening a 2 bdr, 1.5 bath with just my dh, but that extra half bath makes a difference. Especialy when he sits in there and reads

At the risk of getting a bit off-topic - for two or more women in one house, have at least 2 bathrooms. For some reason having at least one bath open directly into the master bedroom is also a selling feature. 2 or 3 guys on one bath - no problem.

DW and I get along with just one bath in an old farmhouse, but if I could add a half-bath at least, I probably would.

Just sayin'. Even if you intend to stay in a house to the end - sometimes such plans don't work out and you need to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ha ha ha ha .... i was really referring to another poster who said they read threads with disaster stories as an example of what not to do .

i don't see them as useful in that respect at all. you can't do anything about it if your number is up.

but you certainly can learn a whole lot more about living from more positive threads.

Actually, I learned more in my life from watching what happened to people and thus, I learned to avoid certain situations. Sadly, in my life, I have been surrounded by death and that is why I have the attitude of really going all out to enjoy life, all the time. My money obsessed 2nd husband deprived us of much and even burst into tears when the hot water heater broke. When my washer broke, he said I couldn't have another. Pathological. Poor guy - he saved well over a million, dropped dead a few years after I divorced him (age 57) and left all that money to his sister. I can still hear him screaming at me "Haven't you ever heard of retirement!" Life is a balance. Save some money in case you live, spend the rest in case you die early (or become infirm).

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
So, does that mean I can't move into one of the rooms in your house?

I'm heartbroken and so are my cats!

Enjoy your property and do what you like, some people just have too much time on their hands.
Y'all come! I'm not giving the house to the freeloaders. As for cats, they'd have to be able to get along with our three rescue fur-shedders....ummm....felines.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times
I vote 2 bathrooms-at least

Old 05-08-2015, 02:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
successful people surround themselves with other successful people ..

I know I frequent some early retirement forums and mimic and learn from those much smarter than I am .

I really do not search out retirement failure forums.

How would a poor person surround themselves with successful people?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
generally they don't and that is why they stay poor. .

that is why if you think poor you will be poor.

i came from nothing , i grew up in a nyc housing project. but i swore i would never go back there and i swore i would never think poor and so i got as many jobs as it took to make sure i always made enough to invest a piece. in my twenties i had 3 jobs going on . a worked as an hvac tech , i was a drummer doing gigs and i started my own hvac company doing side work.

eventually i read and followed the ways of those far more successful than me . later on i worked my way up to partnering with one of the country's greatest real estate moguls bernard spitzar and rode his coat tails .

today i am comfortably retiring with multiple 7 figures and i owe it to those i learned from , followed and utilized their brains and knowledge.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-08-2015 at 03:12 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 03:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I vote 2 bathrooms-at least

There's a bathroom on the right.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:08 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
That's why I am an advocate of trying to do at least some travel when young and healthy. We can set all these plans for the future but the unexpected can and does happen.
Same here. There were three destinations I had wanted to get to for years and I decided I didn't want to one day think "I could have gone, I didn't go, and now I can't go" so I went ahead and took the trips. I don't regret it.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:09 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Probably can't because the evil rich won't associate with you.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Maybe get off the internet for a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement