Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times

Advertisements

Some nostalgic memories from grade school days (1938/1946)

Taught by Nuns (Sisters of Mercy) all eight years
Had to assemble out in front on the sidewalk and walk into the school/classrooms "2 by 2".
The main hall way had 4 classrooms on each side and the walls of the hallway were "slate black-boards" and two of the 4 walls in the class rooms were slate black-boards.

The back wall of each classroom had 4 large double door closets for our jackets, sweaters etc and if we brought our shotguns to school in the fall during pheasant, rabbit and duck season, we had to store them in the closet furthest from the door to the hall. This was allowed for the guys that "kept out of trouble". We could hunt along the rail-road tracks on the way home, that is, if we weren't stocking shelves at the local "A & P" Grocery store for "spending money".

Since WWII was going on full-bore up through 1945 (7th grade), shotgun ammo was in short supply, so a lot of "trading and swaping" went on among a lot of the guys: (50 marbles for 25 shotgun shells, etc) and similiar such trades.
During recess "playing various marble games" out on the dirt play-ground was a popular sport.

Yeah, had some "good-times" in those "grade school days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Some nostalgic memories from grade school days (1938/1946)

Had to assemble out in front on the sidewalk and walk into the school/classrooms "2 by 2".
The main hall way had 4 classrooms on each side and the walls of the hallway were "slate black-boards" and two of the 4 walls in the class rooms were slate black-boards.

The back wall of each classroom had 4 large double door closets for our jackets, sweaters etc and if we brought our shotguns to school in the fall during pheasant, rabbit and duck season, we had to store them in the closet furthest from the door to the hall. This was allowed for the guys that "kept out of trouble". We could hunt along the rail-road tracks on the way home, that is, if we weren't stocking shelves at the local "A & P" Grocery store for "spending money".

Since WWII was going on full-bore up through 1945 (7th grade), shotgun ammo was in short supply, so a lot of "trading and swaping" went on among a lot of the guys: (50 marbles for 25 shotgun shells, etc) and similiar such trades.
During recess "playing various marble games" out on the dirt play-ground was a popular sport.

Yeah, had some "good-times" in those "grade school days".
I spent my grammar school days in Chicago although I was graduated in '55. I had Sisters of Mercy as well. The layout of that school seems almost identical to mine. We had lockers in the hall. The principal had a clicker. When everyone was standing in front of his or her locker she would click and all of the locker doors would open at once. When she thought there was too much noise she'd make us try again. We lined up in front of the school, even if the temperature was -10.

The principal also taught eighth grade. We had a couple of unruly boys (not I) in the class. One had longish hair for the time, the JD look. She'd pull him by the hair straight up in his desk, then give him a couple of slaps across the face. Everyone enjoyed watching.

Although there were large vacant areas in that part of the city there was no hunting. I don't believe kids still played marbles either. Recess was generally inside as what would have been a playground was paved. There many skinned knees from the asphalt.

The uniform for girls was a blue jumper and white blouse. For boys it was a blue shirt and blue tie with slacks. Of course, we wore dress shoes.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I went to the public schools but in high school the boys had to wear white shirts and ties and the girls had to wear dresses or skirts. It was horrible for girls in winter, walking to school in knee socks and skirts. The boys complained about the ties but I think it was better than freezing your legs off all winter!

We played on the playground, although most of us girls used to crouch down to try and stay warm, our dresses, coats, and crinolines over our lower legs. Then the teachers would yell at us to get up and play. Sometimes we could play tag or just race and chase around but mostly they wanted us in organized softball teams. Not interested, but we had to do it. One classroom against the other. I liked the indoor recess for horrible weather much better because we got to play scatter ball or basketball in the gym. And it was WARM.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Cake walks.
Always tried to win a cake at my Halloween Carnival. Never did.

Huh. Halloween Carnival at the elementary school. Now it's called the Autumn Festival and no one is allowed to dress up because someone might get offended. No carnival rides, no game booths, and no junk food. Pfffft.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I should relearn my steno shorthand. Except I'm not sure I could find anyone else who could read my secret messages.
Depends if it's Gregg or Pitman

Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I went to the public schools but in high school the boys had to wear white shirts and ties and the girls had to wear dresses or skirts. It was horrible for girls in winter, walking to school in knee socks and skirts. The boys complained about the ties but I think it was better than freezing your legs off all winter!

We played on the playground, although most of us girls used to crouch down to try and stay warm, our dresses, coats, and crinolines over our lower legs. Then the teachers would yell at us to get up and play. Sometimes we could play tag or just race and chase around but mostly they wanted us in organized softball teams. Not interested, but we had to do it. One classroom against the other. I liked the indoor recess for horrible weather much better because we got to play scatter ball or basketball in the gym. And it was WARM.
I wonder why the girls didn't wear nylon or better, silk stockings. In the depths of the Chicago winter I don't ever recall hearing a complaint from a member of the fair sex of any age.

It would have been unthinkable for girls to have worn anything but a skirt. I never heard a girl express a desire to wear anything else. In those days a young woman was proud of the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Huh. Halloween Carnival at the elementary school. Now it's called the Autumn Festival and no one is allowed to dress up because someone might get offended. No carnival rides, no game booths, and no junk food. Pfffft.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do they do?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
We used to wear the cable knit tights but the nuns weren't happy about those. Think we had too much variety of color for them to approve. Our uniforms were an ugly green plaid for the girls; jumpers for grades 1 to 4, then skirt and vest for grades 5 - 8. The boys got by with blue pants, white shirt and tie.

I remember mohair sweaters came into style and, within two years, the mohair sweaters were banned and we could only wear a plain navy cardigan!

Quote:
Yes I hated being on the asphalt playground during the winter months! Even with tights it was so cold. ugh! We didn't play softball - we played kickball. Kickball was similar to baseball but a soccer ball was used.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Ah, yes. I was condemned to eight years also, with the Sisters of No Mercy.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do they do?
The town puts it on now (not the PTA) and uses the elementary grounds.
Lessee ... the water co. is there handing out pamphlets, a few vegetable vendors, local medical clinic handing out pamphlets and doing blood pressure tests, booths selling wood carvings and other knickknacks, service club booths, HS band and choir doing quiet music, etc etc etc. Oh, and the churches.

Infinitely boring.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Newenglandgirl, those were great (post #24).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement