Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Any guesses on the best state for retirees? Nope, not Florida, which isn't even close, geographically speaking. After crunching data on factors such as cost of living, taxes, health care, weather, and well-being, Bankrate has anointed Wyoming the nation's best choice for retirees.

Top 10 States for Retirement

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
My first requirement is that I must be able to look out the window and see palm trees. On that list Arizona is the only one that meets that criteria. We lived in AZ for some years and a year ago we moved back to Florida.

I have visited 48 states over the years. The 2 Dakotas are the only ones I have missed.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
typical nonsense with a vague description of the rationale for the choices.

the parameters for a "best" location will vary for many people.

Wyoming, for example, has long cold winters ... and strong winds over a large area of the state in the winter months. It's not for folk who want to enjoy a retirement out of a 4-season climate zone with a lot of snowy/blustery conditions. For folk who need medical facilities in their retirement, Wyoming may be very deficient in quality services and access. As well, Wyoming can be very short on shopping, entertainment, and recreation that many folk would want to have ... for example, if you're a major league sports fan and enjoy those spectator sports, there aren't any teams, let alone stadiums ... in Wyoming. Low tax rates can also mean low availability of services that some folk may require for retirement. If you're not into outdoor recreation, Wyoming can be a stifling place to live.

I've seen hundreds of C-D posts about the "dream" of living in Wyoming. The reality here may be quite different. I advise most folk to come visit, especially during the winter months ... before making any decision about moving here. Too many folk think that the disney'ized version of what presents here is what is available for cheap throughout the state. The reality is that most of Wyoming is not mountains, is not dense forests, and isn't YNP or Jackson. There's a lot of reasons why Wyoming is sparsely populated with the lowest total population out of all the states. It simply isn't the combination or ideal that some folk think is here.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I love the State where I am retired! Is it on the list? No.

Perhaps I need counseling. For I believe that living in South Dakota would be a harsh existence. Money is not everything. Been there. The Black Hills and Walls Drugs plus the weather does not entice me away from Tahoe or Yosemite.

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-02-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 11:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,747,693 times
What a life!!!
Listen to the corn grow. Watch the icecicles melt. Never mind the melanoma. Don't step in the cow pie. Pass the lemonade. Doctor...what doctor? There's always bingo at the VFW to liven things up. Take vacations to the ten worst states for a walk on the wild side -- Maryland, Arkansas, Oklahoma!!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Since most of us live in or near towns or city neighborhoods I've never really seen the point of comparing entire states against each other. My life in the little city I'm in is far more similar to those of the folks just across the state line than it is to folks in the same state in a big city 700 miles away. Different topography, weather, politics, demographics, COL, just about everything. I'm sure it's the same in a lot of states.
Hahahah, I guess the good news is that I can move 5 miles up the road to one of 'the top ten' and see if my life improves drastically.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
What a life!!!
Listen to the corn grow. Watch the icecicles melt. Never mind the melanoma. Don't step in the cow pie. Pass the lemonade. Doctor...what doctor? There's always bingo at the VFW to liven things up. Take vacations to the ten worst states for a walk on the wild side -- Maryland, Arkansas, Oklahoma!!

When I look at this list - it almost seems like one of the authors was a 25 year old hot skier. Wyoming - Colorado - Utah - Montana - Idaho. All major winter ski destinations. Have been to all in the winter and they are nice then. For winter sports. Note that a lot of better/more popular ski towns are very very pricey. BTW - there's no shortage of doctors there - as long as you're looking for an orthopedic surgeon . Robyn

Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Any guesses on the best state for retirees? Nope, not Florida, which isn't even close, geographically speaking. After crunching data on factors such as cost of living, taxes, health care, weather, and well-being, Bankrate has anointed Wyoming the nation's best choice for retirees.

Top 10 States for Retirement

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

Yeah I saw that list. The guy/gal who wrote that drivel has to be someone in their 30's. They have no experience and don't know what it is like to live on a budget. To live with creaking old bones. To know what it is like to have to clear the driveway of 24 inches of wet snow when your body is beginning to break down.

It is funny because they look at stuff that has nothing to do with folks who are retiring.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Nebraska? They tax SS. Who wrote this piece of junk. This article is just one of many that shows that media is mostly manipulation, and that the folks who put out this driel are completely out of touch with the general population.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
typical nonsense with a vague description of the rationale for the choices.

the parameters for a "best" location will vary for many people.

Wyoming, for example, has long cold winters ... and strong winds over a large area of the state in the winter months. It's not for folk who want to enjoy a retirement out of a 4-season climate zone with a lot of snowy/blustery conditions. For folk who need medical facilities in their retirement, Wyoming may be very deficient in quality services and access. As well, Wyoming can be very short on shopping, entertainment, and recreation that many folk would want to have ... for example, if you're a major league sports fan and enjoy those spectator sports, there aren't any teams, let alone stadiums ... in Wyoming.
I agree.

Not to put places like Wyoming down ... but ... when I retire (coming soon!) I don't want to live in a place with long snowy winters.

Who doesn't fear tripping and falling in the snow or ice? Or even driving in those kinds of conditions???

The criteria is so bogus!

I like visiting world class museums, going to a renowned symphony, hearing brilliant lecturers and speakers, attending special events that draws in people from around the world, and not the least I still like nightlife like going to a jazz club or having expertly made cocktails in an elegant setting on the 40th floor penthouse with views. Where am I going to get that in the Dakotas or Wyoming or Idaho?

Sure, cost of living is low ... you could probably buy a house there for $35,000 ... because not many people want to live there.

In my view the best health care - I mean the very best hospitals - you get in places like New York (Memorial Sloan Kettering or Columbia/NYU/Presbyterian) or Boston (Brigham and Women's Hospital), or Baltimore (Johns Hopkins) or St. Louis (Barnes Jewish) or Chicago (Northwestern) or Cleveland (the Cleveland) Clinic) or Philly (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Thomas Jefferson University Hosp.), LA (Cedars/Sinai and UCLA) ... the only one not in a big city that rates among the best is the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I think the quality of nearby hospitals should be very high on any list of living places for seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement