Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm not sure free education will help everyone. .........
I do not understand the logic of free college. We already have uninterested kids drifting through high school and bringing down the commitment to learning that some other students have. We often see colleges and universities where there is a strong emphasis on drinking and parties. We don't need anything that will result in further degradation. Why not just increase student financial aid for the needy and subsidize low cost loans for those in between?

Let's face it I am also concerned about my own situation. I have already paid for my education and that of my kids. My kids did their share with part time jobs, and loans, and scholarships. My kids are still paying off student loans and now I and they need to be taxed more to make college free for someone else? I certainly agree we should do something to make college more affordable but not free and not at my expense.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I do not understand the logic of free college. We already have uninterested kids drifting through high school and bringing down the commitment to learning that some other students have. We often see colleges and universities where there is a strong emphasis on drinking and parties. We don't need anything that will result in further degradation. Why not just increase student financial aid for the needy and subsidize low cost loans for those in between?

Let's face it I am also concerned about my own situation. I have already paid for my education and that of my kids. My kids did their share with part time jobs, and loans, and scholarships. My kids are still paying off student loans and now I and they need to be taxed more to make college free for someone else? I certainly agree we should do something to make college more affordable but not free and not at my expense.
You want to make college more affordable? Then tell the universities that people are strapped for cash and they should stop forcing the students to take unnecessary liberal arts courses. Tell the professors that they will have to get by with a little less money.

Get the students out in 2 or 3 years.

Problem solved......

Old 03-12-2016, 09:53 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You want to make college more affordable? Then tell the universities that people are strapped for cash and they should stop forcing the students to take unnecessary liberal arts courses. Tell the professors that they will have to get by with a little less money.

Problem solved......

Sounds like a trade school. College should be about learning and expanding one's intellect. Often those necessary, non-liberal arts courses are obsolete before they are taught. A broad understanding and the ability to create and reason never become obsolete. This is coming from someone with advanced degrees who succeeded in a highly technical field.

BTW, you do not seem to be aware that full "professors" rarely even teach undergraduate students. Sure salaries can be lowered and even more of the better staff members will work in industry or elsewhere. Low teacher salaries are already one of the reasons that we have marginal or worse qualified secondary school teachers in the sciences and technical areas. We are already way behind China, India, Japan, and most first world countries when it comes to education in the STEM fields.

Last edited by jrkliny; 03-12-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
I do not understand the logic of free college. We already have uninterested kids drifting through high school and bringing down the commitment to learning that some other students have. We often see colleges and universities where there is a strong emphasis on drinking and parties. We don't need anything that will result in further degradation. Why not just increase student financial aid for the needy and subsidize low cost loans for those in between?...
Arguably, the three great financial challenges facing the First World, and especially the US, are healthcare, higher education and retirement. If any of these are made entirely "free", that dis-incentivizes initiative, dedication and personal toil. But all three are too expensive and too fraught with risk borne personally by the "consumer". None of the three can be solved entirely by market-forces, yet none of the three can be effectively addressed by the public-sector alone. We have to realize that both extremes are silly: it's silly to regard unlimited access to any of these as a guaranteed "right", and is likewise silly to leave anyone purely on his/her own.

By my reckoning, the system of higher education in America struggles with a contradiction. On the one hand, sensationalist reports notwithstanding, it remains the best in the world. On the other hand, up and down the scale, from undergraduate tuition to graduate-student funding to faculty's writing proposals to the federal grant system and alumni-donations and bloating administration, the system is completely suffused with money, with buying and selling and with turning a buck. The model of business doesn't apply to every enterprise. It's been misapplied to higher education. Tuition costs can't be reined in, until we rethink this business-model.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
What do you think of the likely outcomes and -- beyond the useless act of voting -- what can we do to adapt?
Keep it simple.
  • Ignore the political landscape.
  • Establish a budget and stick to it.
  • Work on cutting costs or, at the very least, not allowing them to grow. Find same or lower cost alternatives when prices rise too much.
  • Keep 3-5 years withdrawals in cash so if market dives, withdrawals are not taken from money allocated to investments.
If you've got a steady income stream and have enough retirement income and/or capital gains to be taxed on it, consider yourself fortunate.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

Problem solved......
I don't think they force people. My kid is a STEM major and she took a fair amount of liberal arts courses.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a trade school. College should be about learning and expanding one's intellect. Often those necessary, non-liberal arts courses are obsolete before they are taught. A broad understanding and the ability to create and reason never become obsolete. This is coming from someone with advanced degrees who succeeded in a highly technical field.

BTW, you do not seem to be aware that full "professors" rarely even teach undergraduate students. Sure salaries can be lowered and even more of the better staff members will work in industry or elsewhere. Low teacher salaries are already one of the reasons that we have marginal or worse qualified secondary school teachers in the sciences and technical areas. We are already way behind China, India, Japan, and most first world countries when it comes to education in the STEM fields.
Admin cost is going up, not professors salary. But my kids are/were taught by professors so I don't know by the statement they rarely even teach undergraduate students.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:

We are already subsidize other people education through financial aid and that's why college cost keeps going up.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
I do not understand the logic of free college. We already have uninterested kids drifting through high school and bringing down the commitment to learning that some other students have.
That's because the Left has a tendency to deceive people on the matter.

For example, in Germany, everyone goes to Grundschule for four years, starting at age 6.

Then the children test.

If your child doesn't score high enough, then your child ends up in Hauptschule or the Schulart mit mehreren Bildungsgängen or Berufsschule, where they basically learn how to retread tires or something else akin to manual labor.. It's general education focused on manual labor, including services, such as retail clerk or retail sales.

If your child sores high enough, then they end up at a Realschule. The Realschule certificate allows students to attend the Fachoberschule, or the Fachgymnasium. Those are like technical schools where you can be in the medical field, paralegal, emergency medical technician and other skills like that. And if you were a "late-bloomer" you can get a shot a free college at the Fachgymnasium.

If your child scores really high, then they go to the Gymnasium and get an Abitur, which is a certificate of aptitude for higher learning, and they --- and only they --- get to go for free to university.

Students that went to a Hauptschule or Realschule can still get an Abitur, if they are really, really motivated and spend a lot of time and their own money on additional education. They'd need a tutor or would have to spend 1-2 years studying on their own to pass the test.

As you can see, only students with the intelligence AND aptitude for university actually get to go to university for free.

Other Euro-States have similar methods of rooting out those who don't really belong at university.

Would "free university" benefit or harm retirees?

That depends on which segments of the population are tapped to pay for the free university.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We are already subsidize other people education through financial aid and that's why college cost keeps going up.
That's true. 20 years ago there were ten students per one faculty/admin. Now it ten students per three. Admin / Faculty have tripled. Plus add capital improvements. Colleges have huge money to spend because Govt made money available. Govt interference into college finance bastardized and is ruining it. Student loans is the next big bubble. What does Govt do? Dig even a deeper hole. Bernie should be shamed and be sent back to where he belongs -- hipster commune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement