Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 01:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What were you making at the time, if you don't mind me asking? The extra $30k would be what - $150/$200 month more?

People need to exercise the use of credit responsibly, but having no credit complicates even routine business. To a degree, I think the blowout from overextension may have been overstated - being from east Tennessee, we didn't go through the massive booms and busts that some areas went through, and I don't know anyone personally who got caught up in the frenzy.
Gee, 20 years ago...maybe I was making around $40k?? I don't really remember! Maybe $50k?

I also had an 11-year-old daughter (no child support), so even $200/month more for a better house was a concern. I think the interest rate on that loan was 9-10% ? I know it was higher than usual because of my lack of credit history.

Anyway, my house is now valued at $250+k and it's paid off...whoopee!!!
Not bad for a gal who never finished high school! (had to work full time to help support parents and siblings).

Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I vote according to what I think is best for the country not what is best for me.
I agree 100%. Since when did whatever seniors want come ahead of any other national priorities? Or is there a sense of "greedy geezer entitlement" in the air here? Robyn

Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I strongly believe in the 'public good', but I also support protecting Social Security against Republicans who have as their agenda privatization of Social Security and cutting of Social Security benefits.

Social Security: The GOP vs. the American People

Last edited by matisse12; 03-14-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I agree 100%. Since when did whatever seniors want come ahead of any other national priorities? Or is there a sense of "greedy geezer entitlement" in the air here? Robyn
And why is it you feel the need to insult others who might want to vote in their own interest? You are on the retirement forum. Are you a geezer yourself? And why should we grant you the power to decide what is a "national priority"?

Old 03-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
As a retiree, Kasich is the last candidate I would want as President. He is the only candidate who has advocated cutting social security benefits now and for existing retirees. He has a wonderful calm mannerism in contrast to the other Republican candidates but don't let that fool you.
Kasich was also part of Lehman Brothers when it imploded (and for quite a few years before). Plus - he seems to be in favor of unlimited amnesty for illegals.

The way I look at things these days - there are only 2 kinds of candidates. The pro-uber-rich Goldman Sachs candidates who would make sure the uber-rich continue to prosper (without breaking a sweat about anyone else). Cruz - Kasich - and Clinton. Trump and Sanders are the anti-Goldman Sachs candidates. And - if Sanders doesn't win the nomination (likely) - I think Trump will pick up a lot of Sanders voters. It will be like the old Reagan Democrats block.

Rubio doesn't fit into this matrix at all - but I reckon he'll be toast after the Florida primary tomorrow. Robyn

Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I strongly believe in the 'public good', but I also support protecting Social Security against Republicans (all of the current Republican candidates) who have as their agenda privatization of Social Security and cutting of Social Security benefits.
Trump does not want to see social security cuts or privatization. He also seems to be for the right to choose; i.e., abortion. He is certainly a long way from being an evangelist. I am not a Trump fan, but he is clearly more moderate. No wonder the right wingers are unhappy with him.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Trump's position on abortion is pro-life (anti-abortion)

Q: In 1999, you said you were "very pro- choice." Even supporting partial-birth abortion.
TRUMP: "I've evolved on many issues over the years. And you know who else has? Is Ronald Reagan evolved on many issues. And I am pro-life. And if you look at the question, I was in business. They asked me a question as to pro-life or choice. And I said if you let [that quoted excerpt] run, that I hate the concept of abortion. I hate the concept of abortion. And then since then, I've very much evolved. And what happened is friends of mine years ago were going to have a child, and it was going to be aborted. And it wasn't aborted. And that child today is a total superstar, a great, great child. And I saw that. And I saw other instances. And I am very, very proud to say that I am pro-life."
Source: Fox News/Facebook Top Ten First Tier debate transcript , Aug 6, 2015

Donald Trump on Abortion

Old 03-14-2016, 06:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
And we know why. The California agricultural industry wanted cheap labor and they used their influence and money to get it. With or without a wall, this could be ended immediately. No proof of citizenship, not green card, then no jobs. Of course, we would need a massive guest worker program.
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked with the housing bubble in 2006.

E-Verify has been around for almost 20 years, yet only a handful of states mandate use of e-verify for all public and private employees. Why is this?

Employment of undocumented workers is as bipartisan as it gets. Until the country can grasp this, no progress can happen and that's no accident.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
And why is it you feel the need to insult others who might want to vote in their own interest? You are on the retirement forum. Are you a geezer yourself? And why should we grant you the power to decide what is a "national priority"?
Yup - I'm an old person (pushing 70).

But the way I look at it is as follows. If I were a senior having to decide between buying my meds and my food - would I only take my personal needs into account? Sure. Survival trumps everything.

But - OTOH - if the issue was getting Medicare on the cheap (which most of us do) to pay for boat or golf expenses or similar - well that's an entirely different issue.

Us seniors aren't all the same from an economic point of view. And I am somewhat inclined to a charitable POV when it comes to seniors whose economic lives haven't worked out so well. Despite their best efforts. Robyn

Old 03-15-2016, 05:03 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Not sure if seniors and national priorities are mutually exclusive. They might be congruent instead. Seniors are an important part of our nation.

The problem here is with the underlining vehicle of retirement, SSI and MC. Some call it the fundamentals, or math. Politicians might not be able to solve the crisis at the 11th hour, as some posters here have suggested. Fundamentals / math might squeeze politicians into a corner where their options might be limited and cuts really be severe.

That's where we're headed if one is to believe math and SS Trustees. So Republicans proposing something is in fact rational, while those who keep driving this train on auto-pilot faster towards the cliff -- those are irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement