Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 AM

888 posts, read 890,283 times

Advertisements

I've been a motivated fitness-oriented guy now for the last 25 years but in my journey I've had some periods where I carried a little more bodyweight than necessary. I've learned it's possible to be fat and fit. While the definition of fat varies from person to person, when I say fat for me, I mean about 10 to 15% more than a lean and mean "fighting bodyweight" (figure of speech) - I'm 61 years young now.

So last July 30th after returning home for a brief vacation giving me lots of time in the pool, I had a moment of disgust with myself that I had become a little too fleshy to my liking. While enjoying a good level of strength endurance from my training, I had slipped into eating too much and was at about 25 lbs. higher than my desired "fighting weight". I resolved, during my flight home, that the next day I was going to do something about it.

So I started on July 31st with a goal of shedding 15 lbs. and began doing all the necessary things I had done it the past when it was time to get a job like this done. Slightly over 7 months later, I've gotten the job done with a cumulatively bodyweight loss, depending on my morning weigh-in and previous day consumption (with carbs being a big factor), of about 20 lbs.

The first couple months were brutally frustrating yet I was determined and persisted. And in these months of frustration, I thought about earlier times when I had buttoned down and experienced weight loss quicker, leading me to the conclusion that it sure was harder this time.

Does anyone here have a similar experience of it being harder now than before?

This whole episode has taught me that better to manage the bodyweight uptick rather than work like a dog to get it off so, hopefully I won't have to do this again.

Again, very possible to be fat and fit and I have the anecdotal experience proving it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
All too true here as well. I also oscillate between 10 & 20 lbs heavier than ideal, though the harder part is sticking to regular diet and exercise, but when results are much slower, it is quite frustrating.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I was doing really well at age 61. If you thought losing weight and getting in shape was difficult, just wait. Once you are over 65 or so, it is a downhill battle. Now that I am approaching 70, the body seems to have changed greatly. I am only about 15 pounds over my ideal but worse within the past year or so, all the extra weight has accumulated on the belly. With all the fat in one place, I look and feel worse than ever. I have finally started with daily use of the treadmill. Boring. I feel like a gerbil in a cage.

Last edited by jrkliny; 03-20-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
I've always been somewhat fitness oriented, but, over the past 5-years in retirement (68) have gotten too sedentary and put on about 25 pounds. Finally, like the OP, I got fed-up with continuing to talk about my need to lose weight, but, then neither changing my eating or exercise habits.

Just before this past Thanksgiving, I said, "Enough! -- It is downright unhealthy and life-shortening to be adding that much weight at this stage of my life!" For the past 4-months, I've watched my calorie intake, regulated my eating portions and diet ... and done a little weight/cardio exercise 2-4 times per week. I've just cracked the 20-pound loss mark and am working on another 5-10 pounds.

Back in the 'good old days', I've never worried about dieting, weight or eating, but, quickly discovered that since my mid 40's, my workout progress has gradually flattened out. Any more, the best I can muster-up is enough exercise to keep toned-up a bit and slow the decline. I can't work-out enough (and my body won't cooperate) to actually build-up anything ... except my stomach "muscle" which, as many of you have discovered, is probably the most stubborn weight to lose.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I've lost 5 lbs so far without doing strenuous exercise. I just eat less at lunch. A light soup, snack when I'm hungry. My goal is 20 lbs before I buy new clothes. It's probably hard but I will keep at it once all the paperwork is finished. That's what holding me back.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:00 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I've lost 5 lbs so far without doing strenuous exercise. I just eat less at lunch. A light soup, snack when I'm hungry. My goal is 20 lbs before I buy new clothes. It's probably hard but I will keep at it once all the paperwork is finished. That's what holding me back.
I would never guess from your user name but your comment certainly identifies your gender. I cannot imagine a male thinking about losing weight so they could buy new clothes.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Add to that the skin sag even when you lose weight

Used to pop back to firm skin but with th elastins gone that doesn't happen. The skin just droops

Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
my wife and i are gym rats and have been for 15 years going 5 and 6 days a week . things are no longer measured in gains . now they are measured in what you are not losing at a faster rate .

Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife and i are gym rats and have been for 15 years going 5 and 6 days a week . things are no longer measured in gains . now they are measured in what you are not losing at a faster rate .
Well, that puts me in mind of a comment made by a friend of mine who religiously hits the gym, takes long walks and watches what she eats. And that was "at our age, it's for health, not for how we will look." And it's a good thing, too, because if personal experience serves, we sure aren't going to win any contests as the hottest babes in the gym.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:39 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
LOL

I'm still in my 30's (38) and working out and maintaining my body isn't as easy as it was in my 20's. I imagine that holds true for each decade of life. I started working out again in earnest about 2 months ago, and while I was quickly able to get back up to speed for cardio type stuff, my strength training is going a LOT slower than it did in my 20's. Just can't push myself as hard as I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement