Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I worked in Riviera Beach for a few years. Im not sure I would feel comfortable living there. Im all for manufactured housing and saw lots of nice stuff during my stay in FL, but there is only one part of Riviera Beach I would live and that is Singer Island, or maybe the most northeaster tip close to A1A. Anything around Blue Heron or heading south to West Palm I would avoid. Im sure the park itself is nice, but you wouldn't really be able to walk anywhere around that location.
This is just an example - there are nice manufactured home communities all over Florida. Same price. Or less or more.

This place has one listed for $165,000!

Riviera Beach is a city in WPB County. WPB is sketchy in general for crime but zillions of people move there, my son included - downtown City of WPB. He chose it over every other part of SoFL because of his interests and he's a city person. NEVER had any problems.

This part of RB area is low crime. It's west of I-95. You're thinking of the Riviera Beach that's East and yeah, shady.

Close to the Turnpike AND I-95.

It's gated with 900 units. I'm not even sure it's part of the Riviera Beach city limits. Could be WPB county unincorporated. Includes three clubhouses heated pools and whirlpool spas. Fresh-water lake and fishing. (usually means retention basin but still)

Maintenance fee is $264. They are always lower in coops because you paid your equity. VERY cheap in So FL.

It's across the street from the VA hospital which makes this particular community very attractive.

Also across the street from Woodbine Apartments and some townhouses for $200K.

Just below Northlake Blvd which makes the Palm Beach Gardens Mall about 5 - 10 minutes away.

WPB is GOLF HEAVEN. Tiger Woods lives there. Championship Golf Courses in Palm Beach Gardens only 8 minutes away North.

Banyon Cay Golf Club and Resort is 5 minutes South. Just below Mangonia Park.

So is the Outlet Mall.

Airport is 9 miles.

Tri-Rail station in WPB.

Some people are going to like living there because it's really central to EVERYTHING including the beach and WPB city with all the cultural amenities like Kravis Center.

IMO it's not all that common for people to be "walking around" all these neighborhoods even ME living right on Rt 1 in the very safe Vero Beach.

We have a community like this in Vero Beach (many, actually) with a million dollar view on the Intracoastal you couldn't buy for under $1 Million. And it's right by the causeway bridge to the beach with manatees coming right up to your DOCK to visit. Where you can keep your boat, too. They had one sell for $140K before the crash.

I will note, though, that many of these communities are not 100% all new prefab modular homes. Most of the time they have many of the older style "trailers" and are introducing these new ones. The new ones are built just like a normal house and put on a slab.

You have to be careful with these old ones. They can have mold and a musty smell from the trapped fill fiberglass insulation used to stuff the underbelly between two vapor barriers of the unit that needs to be ripped out and repaired. Replaced with modern closed-cell spray foam spray or something - I forget.

I can't go inside many of these older ones. (if someone calls me for work, I decline them)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-10-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I will note, though, that many of these communities are not 100% all new prefab modular homes. Most of the time they have many of the older style "trailers" and are introducing these new ones. The new ones are built just like a normal house and put on a slab.

You have to be careful with these old ones. They can have mold and a musty smell from the trapped fill fiberglass insulation used to stuff the underbelly between two vapor barriers of the unit that needs to be ripped out and repaired. Replaced with modern closed-cell spray foam spray or something - I forget.

I can't go inside many of these older ones. (if someone calls me for work, I decline them)
I have read a couple of horror stories of someone buying a lot with trailer in a co-op only to find out that the covenants grandfathered in older units only to existing owners and their heirs. So the new owner owns the lot and the trailer but right after moving in gets a notice to move the trailer out of the community.
It is not common, but it does happen; just something to be aware of. if I buy in a co-op, I will insist on contacting the association and ask specific questions, not just read the by-laws and assume everything is okay.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I just drove through an age restricted mobile home park near my house in Oviedo Fl a small town outside of Orlando

Was pretty impressed and may consider this when I sell my house. Was middle of the day, lots of people in the pool, activities posted on the marquee in front of the recreation center, and whole area well kept. Friendly people driving through

Glad this thread was started. Caused a rethink on my part

Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,843 times
Default Hi

Wife and I are looking to retire in southwest fl. Very interested in what you had to say about Condo's. We have looked at 55 and over manufactured parks in North port and ft. Myers. But will be going down to look at condo's. Just wondering about condo's life style good or bad. We have never lived in a apartment or condo only single family homes. Some of your thoughts would be great. Like insurance life style ect. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack & diane View Post
Wife and I are looking to retire in southwest fl. Very interested in what you had to say about Condo's. ....
have you lived in a 'common building before? or an HOA?

1) get referrals in talk directly to the residents,

2) Look up court / land use proceedings

3) get an end or corner unit with NO ONE above you.

4) BRIGHT / not shady side of complex.

5) Not near road, pool, or Trash bins (if you like it quiet)

6) read carefully the terms / maintenance reserves / schedule and escrow holding accounts (For taxes, insurance, and repair)

7) Understand the RULES, there can be nightmare petty disagreements. (But there does not have to be)

8) Live in the best possible place for YOU (regardless of cost).

Home should be a peaceful and safe retreat.

Many people have great condo associations / neighbors / services. Don't expect or REQUIRE a PERFECT situation.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack & diane View Post
Wife and I are looking to retire in southwest fl. Very interested in what you had to say about Condo's. We have looked at 55 and over manufactured parks in North port and ft. Myers. But will be going down to look at condo's. Just wondering about condo's life style good or bad. We have never lived in a apartment or condo only single family homes. Some of your thoughts would be great. Like insurance life style ect. Thanks.
I owned and lived in a condo for a couple years. It was not a place I wanted to spend the rest of my life.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 AM

35,696 posts, read 21,049,622 times
i have owned and lived in a few- great way to live but in FL - dangerous with the hurricanes and always having evac - when they come close-

Old 07-11-2017, 05:59 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I have no idea how much home owners insurance would be but on a place valued at $44k it couldn't be much.

In 2000 I looked at a condo that was on the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama which is referred to as the redneck riviera. Nice condos, very affordable and right on the beach. Looked very good until I got the price of homeowners insurance and wow, it knocked my socks right off. Between the association fees and homeowners it was more than $1,200/month, with the large portion of it going to homeowner insurance, and unlike a mortgage it would last forever.

And if a CAT 5 did go through and take everything out, which a CAT 5 would do, what is the worst you could be out?

My friend I visited doesn't have to live there, he could afford five times as much, but he chose to because he as a number of friends in the same community. Given a nicer place or friends I'd pick friends any day.

Might be high crime area but it was fenced and gated all around with people constantly on the lookout for neighbors. I asked about it and was told they never had any problems.
There are not a lot of insurance companies that will still insure mobile homes in Florida after taking a beating in 2004 from all the hurricanes. They have some pretty severe restrictions, including anything over 10 years old. It can get to the point on some homes that you have a single "safe harbor" choice available, and it really doesn't come cheap. Look into it before you make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement