Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned the #1 ranked country for Americans to retire....Panama. It's relatively simple to achieve a visa (proof of $1000 a month or more in funds from social security or other sources), the cost of living is affordable and driven by the US Dollar, it's a stable democracy, has excellent and very affordable health care, English is widely spoken, and it's largely free of hazards like natural disasters.

Retire in panama, retirement community, retire overseas, panama city real estate and panama land: Retirement Wave
Panama was mentioned by Hefe on Page 2.

Since you re-mentioned it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDL4lB8U8I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Apparently you can buy land in Panama as a foreigner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IP1gD9QvUk

Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ecuador, and recently Columbia now have accountable police.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM

Futuristic cities being developed. Don't you wish to retire in one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cVDmDNZIs

Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
I am moving to AntArtic... No nosy neighbors.... No lawn to mow.. No big A/C bill in the summer... Can stay indoors all winter... Don't need a frig or freezer.... No hayfever.... No sunburn.... Perfect dish antennae settings.... No insurance of any kind needed.... AND the #1 reason.. Won't have relatives coming to visit you and stay forever.....

Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 AM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
A crucial consideration is that income for American citizens is taxed worldwide. For those people for whom income-taxes are their largest expense in retirement, relocation to a "cheaper" country may not make significant difference.

As an immigrant to the US, I'd hypothetically like to return to my birth-country upon retirement – not to save money, but to partake of the culture. Unfortunately, this is impossible. Said country has woefully disintegrated, lost its ethos and national spirit, and was overrun by charlatans and bandits. The best realistic option is therefore to take residency in an American state without income taxes, and to spend as much time as possible in an immigrant-enclave elsewhere in the US (most likely New York City).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
All my American friends are overweight, deep in debt, have 6th grade educations, have never left the state they were born in, chew with their mouth open, and wear polyester coaches shorts. They are entirely uninteresting ...
I've been trying to improve, but peer-pressure keeps thwarting my efforts.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A crucial consideration is that income for American citizens is taxed worldwide. For those people for whom income-taxes are their largest expense in retirement, relocation to a "cheaper" country may not make significant difference.

As an immigrant to the US, I'd hypothetically like to return to my birth-country upon retirement – not to save money, but to partake of the culture. Unfortunately, this is impossible. Said country has woefully disintegrated, lost its ethos and national spirit, and was overrun by charlatans and bandits. The best realistic option is therefore to take residency in an American state without income taxes, and to spend as much time as possible in an immigrant-enclave elsewhere in the US (most likely New York City).

I've been trying to improve, but peer-pressure keeps thwarting my efforts.
Countries that offer retirement visa's AFAIK do not tax retirement income, so you still avoid any state tax.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Apparently you can buy land in Panama as a foreigner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IP1gD9QvUk

I went on a Panama Canal cruise a couple of years back in the month of October and the heat and humidity in Panama was way above my heat tolerance, and I am one that does Disney World in August. No Thankis

Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I think that is a pretty small subset of retirees. I think that most people who are drawn to foreign retirements are above poverty level by enough to have a decent retirement here but are looking at foreign retirement because they can live better there on the same money. Take a look at the map with relative COL:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Go back in this thread and notice how most people are talking about Central and South America, Asia/Pacific and a smattering of Europe. Anyway, if you are getting 65k and paying 15k in tax (just an example) then getting more out of the remaining 50k is why you might go abroad. So you don't also get tax savings; I am not sure I see the relevance. You can't get the tax savings anywhere.

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 PM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
... You can't get the tax savings anywhere.
Precisely. Whether I move to England, Panama, Botswana, or the next spaceship to Mars, or stay right here in Ohio, I'm going to be paying the same US federal income tax. If that's my greatest expense in retirement, then local cost-of-living becomes a secondary consideration. A similar issue obtrudes, when discussing cost-of-living differences among the various US states. State A might have expensive real estate prices, but no state income tax. State B might have cheap houses, but high top marginal income tax rate. Thus B might have the higher total cost of living.

Returning to the immediate topic of this thread, I'd pick a country and a city with strong property laws and a vibrant real-estate market. 10 years ago I'd have picked London, England. But now their market is overheated... and then there's the awful looming threat of Brexit. The same goes for Melbourne, Australia. Today I might pick Munich or Berlin (Germany).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement