Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
1. I missed the camaraderie I had at work
2. The novelty of not working wore off
3. I was bored
4. My mind wasn’t being pushed
5. I didn’t have as much disposable income as I thought
6. The glow just wears off because you get used to it
7. When everyday ended being the same as the day before
8. I didn’t have many friends who had retired
9. The nice weather ended and I had to spend more time indoors
10. I was lonely
11. I just didn’t have enough things to fill my days
12. I didn’t have many hobbies or interests to fill my time
13. I didn’t like being seen as ‘old’
14. I felt redundant
15. Daytime television is awful
16. I put on weight as I wasn’t as active
17. I ended up running around after everyone else i.e. grandchildren and children
18. My partner and I drove each other mad
19. I hated telling people I was retired
20. My partner was still working and I resented that.
The 'camaraderie' I saw at work was forced. When you live inside a steel pipe 7 months a year underwater, you have to get along with your comrades. There is little choice in the matter.

I am often busier now than I was then, but now I do the things I determine to do.

Bored is what bored does.

I challenge myself and I like it.

We planned far ahead for my pension, so our budget is fine.

We are way more active socially now as retirees than ever when I was working.

A person whining they have no hobbies, interests, or social life is in a rut. If you can't decide to be active than might as well end it.

We do not have a TV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:56 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Somehow I can't help but feel that articles like this are a subtle form of brainwashing to keep people from retiring. They are wanting to raise the retirement age higher and higher, so the indoctrination needs to start now with the younger people that "retirement" is a dirty word

Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I completely agree about camaraderie in the workplace often being forced.

I think people in the study (and article) were referring more to an automatic positioning oneself every day among people and having contact with people daily automatically due to being at work. For many, the automatic contact with people at work (and/or with the public while at work) fulfills a need to be among people and assuages some loneliness - something that doesn't always happen automatically during retirement.

And if one has a job that is working with the public daily or often, even more so.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
interesting study and article on retirement - supposedly the joy of retirement can wane within 10 months.

I'm not condoning or agreeing - just posting the findings in case anyone cares to read or discuss

I know many people in this Retirement Forum on City-Data Forums will disagree strongly with the factors listed. I disagree too - I love retirement!!

The factors cited are good to be aware of for potential retirees, and those facing boredom.

Joy of retirement wears off after just TEN MONTHS as bickering and daytime TV take their toll | Daily Mail Online

TOP 20 REASONS RETIREMENT BECOMES A BORE
Missing camaraderie in the workplace was given as the top reason for people not enjoying retirement

3. I was bored
10. I was lonely
14. I felt redundant
17. I ended up running around after everyone else i.e. grandchildren and children
Just for starters I have a lifetime's worth of books I would love to read. Meanwhile, so long as my physical state cooperates, I have many chores to take time. These are just basics, I have not even delved into social activities and other things out in the world. My own challenge? By the time I hit my number, there is just so much to cram into a decade or two.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM

208 posts, read 257,889 times
There isn't any comraderie at work anymore. Most people at office jobs are going home based. For me, the women at work are mostly young, married, and raising children--a demographic that I'm not in. I don't feel work offers any social opportunities for me at this point.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:34 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
You got to have a "purpose" in retirement. Not just wake up one day and realize you don't have to get ready for work.

My plan is to live in a van, travel all over the western US, and volunteer for the National Park Service.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
You got to have a "purpose" in retirement. Not just wake up one day and realize you don't have to get ready for work.

My plan is to live in a van, travel all over the western US, and volunteer for the National Park Service.
Outstanding. Been there, done that.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:

TOP 20 REASONS RETIREMENT BECOMES A BORE
Missing camaraderie in the workplace was given as the top reason for people not enjoying retirement

Not so much. It was nice talking to people but my friends were after work not during.
That's a novelty I hope will never wear off. It's been six years now.
3. I was bored
I was bored at work. If I get bored in my retirement, I am free to do something about it.
Work was redundant. Not having to work, I can pursue that which isn't.
True, but I don't need to spend as much either and I get some old geezer perks.
I am not sure what this means. Get used to waking up when I want? Wearing sweats during the week instead of the weekend? Going grocery shopping during the weekday instead of the weekend with the mad rush of the working people? I still appreciate the freedom.
That was my work day.
True but I had enough
Like working 9 to 5 wasn't spending all day indoors? And that doesn't count long hours of over time
10. I was lonely
Nope
I agree that the days are longer in that respect but I manage to fill them. It's not a problem.
That would be the result of not having any before. Once retired, a person has more opportunity to find some.
That's just silly. I would look "old" whether I was retired or not. I am old.
14. I felt redundant
Nope
Then don't watch it. I do sometimes.
I have more opportunity to exercise than when I was sitting behind a desk all day
I don't have any of these so no.
I don't have one of these either.
I love telling people I am retired. They always say "Good for you."
My cat is thrilled to have me around more.
Now some of these things do apply not because I am retired but because I moved to a new city and had to make new friends and find new interests. Retiring may have made it easier because I'm now in an independent senior living complex so there are lots of other retired people and there are lots of things to do. But when I was first retired in my previous city, I did not have any of these problems. Retirement is like anything else in life, what you make of it.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:19 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Sounds like a lot of first world whining to me.

When people tell me they are bored, I usually assume they are boring!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
The only thing I miss is the comraderie I had at work. I have found very few people with which I have anything in common, or are anywhere near intelligent enough to carry on anything other than a superficial conversation... in, like, 8 years. But the rest of it? Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement