Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times

Advertisements

lv2trvl, it was a Brookdale community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 07:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Visit a few more. My sense is that the newer they are the younger they are. Once folks get in and they fill up the average age rises with the residents. Only getting younger folks when someone dies

Old 11-12-2016, 07:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
Thank you TuborgP

Old 11-12-2016, 07:38 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
This is a great topic and I hope it stays on track. CCRC to me means Continuing Care Retirement Community which means as you require more levels of care, they are available. As best I can find and I have have looked at several:

Level 1: You take care of yourself in your own "unit". Additional services such as housekeeping, meals, etc. can be purchased. As an example you may still prepare your own meals, clean your unit, drive yourself around, etc.

Level 2: Your needs are taken care of such as housekeeping, meals, etc. but you are still in your own "unit". As an example you can take care of your toileting needs, get to the dining room, etc.

Level 3: Round the clock assistance as in unable to take care of your needs without assistance. As an example you need help toileting, meals delivered, etc.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Statistically, I don't think most people ever need the "round the clock" care, other than for a serious illness or after surgery. I may be wrong, and maybe this need will increase as modern medicine increases life spans.

We enjoy our retirement condo with independent living, indoor and outdoor pools, golf course, as well as all the usual craft and music, etc. We have a few 85-100 yr olds who remain independent, active, driving, and happy. If we ever need full time care, we'll let out kids help us decide, as we would want it to be convenient for them to visit and oversee the care.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 AM

Food for this and other senior communities. The new AARP has a greater featured article titled How to Retire 2017. It discusses several retirement lifestyles and locations of people finding active retirement lives. One of the places is the Villages in Florida. They sold 2,200 homes last year and people love it there. The pace of home sales is declining and one observation why is that the current crop of young retirees are the last of the lucky pensioners. Trying to manage affording CCRC's and other senior options isn't just initially being able to afford but in maintaining the needed annual cash flow. When you get right down to being admitted to a lot of the higher end CCRC's you need more income and assets than many realize.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is a great topic and I hope it stays on track. CCRC to me means Continuing Care Retirement Community which means as you require more levels of care, they are available. As best I can find and I have have looked at several:

Level 1: You take care of yourself in your own "unit". Additional services such as housekeeping, meals, etc. can be purchased. As an example you may still prepare your own meals, clean your unit, drive yourself around, etc.

Level 2: Your needs are taken care of such as housekeeping, meals, etc. but you are still in your own "unit". As an example you can take care of your toileting needs, get to the dining room, etc.

Level 3: Round the clock assistance as in unable to take care of your needs without assistance. As an example you need help toileting, meals delivered, etc.
The newer higher end one's I have looked at have meal plans, cleaning and transportation etc built in. They need it as part of the pricing to create minimum revenue to support it and to keep you and your unit clean and you fed and watched over

Old 11-13-2016, 06:11 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Trying to manage affording CCRC's and other senior options isn't just initially being able to afford but in maintaining the needed annual cash flow. When you get right down to being admitted to a lot of the higher end CCRC's you need more income and assets than many realize.
Very true. Purchasing a unit can cost over $400k, and then have another $2500 per month Condo Fee attached. Add to this a IRS Ruling that I am hazy about, but apparently states that the home sale roll-over or capital gains exclusion for home sale does not apply when selling your home to purchase a CCRC unit. I haven't done any research yet on this so my statement may be wrong - but it is written in some CCRC article(s) I found.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
There are several near me. Once in awhile I go to different shows and they have the chefs from these places giving out food. It is always great. 3 entrees seems to be the norm. Many activities. They all have somewhat low monthly fees from $1000 to $6000(huge condo) but there is a 6 figure buy in.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:53 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times
I think that style of living is based on personal preferences, unless you really have no choice and need the medical care and help.

We were among the youngest on our very friendly street when we moved in decades ago, but now the older crowd has mostly moved out or died. Now the street is regenerating with young people with children and we enjoy it.

We do not have grandkids yet and there is something special about talking with a preschooler about their Halloween costume or watching them learn to ride a bike. The other day one ran up to me grinning all over to show the gaping space where her tooth had fallen out.

Guess because I worked with children during my career I find it uplifting and happy, and being around all older folks would make me feel I was in the final chapter of my life. I can't imagine that until at least my 80s.

I also have visited these places and lovely as some are, I find them depressing. To each his/her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement