Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:46 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,469,332 times

Advertisements

I can't remember the last time I used craigslist.

Around here, Facebook Marketplace and private "yard sale" groups tend to get a lot more attention. I would try there. You might be able to find somewhere local in a major city, but something like china seems impractical to ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,087,625 times
Everytime I am in the thrift store, there are one or more boxes of "Grandma's China" going for bargain prices. Whole sets. Very little demand for what used to be collectibles. Replacements Ltd. pays pennies on the dollar buying vs. selling. Try local FB yard sale group.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 AM

4,744 posts, read 4,450,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Everytime I am in the thrift store, there are one or more boxes of "Grandma's China" going for bargain prices. Whole sets. Very little demand for what used to be collectibles. Replacements Ltd. pays pennies on the dollar buying vs. selling. Try local FB yard sale group.
This++++. So true that there is minimal interest in this. I recently heard of another actual store that also does massive amazon and ebay business. I like their name- Dishfunctional. I have not personally used them but I have heard good things about them. They are in Penn but they do ship all over and might be worth inquiring.

https://www.dishfun.com/

Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 AM

6,887 posts, read 11,269,765 times
Smile This thread has made me so sad

I was married in the 1980's and yes, I had a bridal registry and china was one of those things people gave you.

I've used it for special dinners, of course.

I have such great memories of my own parents entertaining and using their own china - real dinner parties. They either went to each other's homes or to the country club. I don't remember going to a restaurant with them until around 1980. Maybe that's when things changed.

I always thought when I retired I would learn the social graces I feel I am lacking and have these same type of dinner parties. Sad to see it doesn't happen as much anymore.

I remember when we lived just outside of Chicago, we even ate on plates that had a picture of the house we lived in on them. Those were just the regular dishes.

I've never used paper plates unless it was a child's birthday party.

Last edited by Bette; 10-29-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 AM

43,409 posts, read 18,498,877 times
Married in the late 70's. Never was one for fancy china though. One set of Corelle and I was a happy camper (it was called Corning back then).

And all these years later I still only have Corelle.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,334,912 times
Maybe Southern Living Magazine? their ads include items to complete china and silver place settings. Probably could sell whole sets and place settings.

Mine is sitting up on my tallest shelves and I expect will not be used unless I last until my granddaughters are setting up their own homes and want to go more formal than their parents.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,628,749 times
I "inherited" my grandmother's "good china" in my late 20's, but being a diffident & very nomadic bachelor I just kept it stored for decades while I used a few presentable dishes & mugs from the local Goodwill Store & then moved on. In my mid-40s I finally settled down & dug out the china since I now needed everything for a real household, not another way station, & it was free.

The china, which I probably hadn't seen since childhood, has gold details but is completely festooned with pink flowers - center & edges. It looked like the sort of design an 11yo girl would choose for fanciful tea parties, there's no way I could look at that Victorian Fairy Garden design every day. My grandmother was lower working class so the china itself isn't "valuable" by any metric other than her regard for it as a status symbol. I won't use it & I can't sell it but it still pains me to consider repaying Goodwill with it, but that is what is going to happen & I hope some young family, probably from another culture, will appreciate its over the top ornamentation.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:12 PM

62 posts, read 56,459 times
In my neighborhood, I started a Gourmet Club with like-minded couples who like to entertain in their homes. We took turns planning the menu and divided up the courses so the entire burden would not fall on the hostess. We dined in our dining rooms using our best china four times per year. This activity has continued for over twenty years with more young couples joining as the older ones move away. In my neighborhood, at least, there is practically a waiting list to join the fun! I'll keep my china, even if my young adult children never want it.

When I am ready to downsize, I will sell it on FB Marketplace to local buyers who can pack it and transport it themselves. Just so it doesn't end up in a landfill, I will be good with any price.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,441,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Married in the late 70's. Never was one for fancy china though. One set of Corelle and I was a happy camper (it was called Corning back then).

And all these years later I still only have Corelle.
Same here. Married same timeframe, got Corelle on my local small hometown registry and still have some and use it.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 AM

883 posts, read 772,547 times
When I married (in the Deep South), I got everyday china, and intermediate pattern, and a fine china pattern - 12 place settings of each (and sterling silver). Then soon after, my parents went to England and brought me another fine china set (12 place settings) and later a Christmas set. I gave my daughter the original set of fine china when she married (she wanted it), and gave away the intermediate pattern when we downsized (I had used it maybe 5 times in 30+ years). So I’m down to 3 sets now. I use the Christmas set every year and the fine china probably 5/6 times a year. I really love using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement