Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 AM

334 posts, read 662,802 times

Advertisements

I am leaning towards retirement at 62 or 63 (am 61 now) and I am amazed at how many people have told me that if they could do it over again, they would have worked a little longer. Frankly, I am surprised. Does anyone who retired at that age have any comments, advice, regrets, etc. Would love to hear. Thanks for reading and for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I retired at 61.5 and have never regretted it. (Now 72). What is the reason given by people who have told you they would have "worked a little longer" if they had it to do over again? Primarily financial, I suppose? Or just missing the gratification and socialization of the workplace?

Why are you surprised that many people have regrets? Once actually retired, the decision tends to be one of those "no return" decisions because getting back into the workforce after age 62 is impossible for most unless they want to work for almost nothing as a greeter at Walmart or similar.

If one's financial planning and analyses have been careful and thorough, there should be no regrets at the financial level. But some folks have a tenency to shoot from the hip and/or engage in wishful thinking, so I'm guessing that may be the case in some of the ones you've talked to.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I'm not old enough ought to regret yet. I retired at 55, now I am 57.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I am 65 and will retire in a couple of months at 65.5. Thought about bailing at 62, but the main reason for continuing is employer provided medical coverage. Based on that, I elected to continue working until I was Medicare eligible. (Good thing I stuck it out because my retirement financial accounts are looking pretty good lately.)

A common reason given for retiring at 62 is because one becomes eligible to receive Social Security benefits, albeit greatly reduced, (and assuming enough 'credits' accrued). Keeping inexpensive and good medical coverage was more important for me personally.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-30-2016, 01:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I am 65 and will retire in a couple of months at 65.5. Thought about bailing at 62, but the main reason for continuing is employer provided medical coverage. Based on that, I elected to continue working until I was Medicare eligible. (Good thing I stuck it out because my retirement financial accounts are looking pretty good lately.)

A common reason given for retiring at 62 is because one becomes eligible to receive Social Security benefits, albeit greatly reduced, (and assuming enough 'credits' accrued). Keeping inexpensive and good medical coverage was more important for me personally.
DH is waiting three more years for continuing benefits of health, dental and life insurance also. Working one more year past 65 for Medicare until he reaches 66 for FRA is his plan.

I retired at age 59 and have no regrets. With spousal health coverage I could and I'll wait to take SS until FRA at age 66 too in three years, having put in over 30 years of work.

DH continues to love his work and while I loved my work and the challenges too, it was time to go out at peak performance, which was probably two years before I actiually did.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Nope.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:10 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
nope

Old 12-30-2016, 02:41 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Retired in 07 at age sixty two, no regrets here. Retirement is such a personal decision that it seems almost trite to include others beyond one's spouse, in the decision making. And in that vein, I'd bet that many who live to regret their retirement decisions are allowing others to make them. If your health and wealth are holding up then by all means get on with the life you will most likely spend your last days living, it takes some doing for people to reinvent themselves from a worker to a life of more choices of what to spend one's time doing. Enjoy your life, and celebrate the fact that you can retire..

Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM

588 posts, read 463,102 times
Do I regret it?

Sometimes....however, that was due to the fact that I had a "forced retirement" at 58 and could not find a job, full time, in my chosen field, nor do I think I could have done such because of the inherent stress (federal level litigation paralegal in trial all the time) anyway.

I have a healthy bank balance (at least what I think is a healthy bank balance) and can make a penny scream, and my needs are not lavish so I have been able to deal with the added stress of working part time in (as Mathjak opined) suck ass jobs with crappy hours and pay.

That being said...I do not have a spouse to level the field so it is all me. Good and bad.

Having a spouse to share the costs can be a game changer, however, I have a friend who has a husband that has serious chronic illnesses which cost them a bundle each month in just scripts and she just had a kidney removed because of cancer.....so, what can I say. Their life style is not meager, however she does say that she had no idea and never expected just how costly things would become. They are almost 80. They have spent too much on their grands and that should not have happened in my oh so humble opinion, once they hit retirement. It has hurt them dreadfully with the ability to enjoy some travel etc. But I say nothing because it is their money and the grands have two working parents who live in a big house...if you know what I mean.

That being said...the family is very close and have a wonderful relationship all round.

I will keep a suck ass job for extras and I will not completely retire until I have too. I have 9 months to 62 and I will file for SSI.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
We retired at ages 50 and 51. Thirteen years ago. No regrets...not one minute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement