Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

I'd estimate 80% of my communication with others is texting (mostly on WhatsApp), 18% emails, and the remaining 2% actually talking where that is just calling a customer service number for something.

Calling sucks, it sucks leaving voice mails and it sucks dealing with listening to voice mails. With texting people tend to get to the point, and I can easily go back and look at the information again later. Being able to quickly go read something like "Okay meet you at Buffalo Wild Wings at 12:30" is waaaay better than needing to remember what someone said yesterday in a phone call or trying to find the voice mail message. Texting a picture of a box of tampons at the store and texting "is this the right kind?" is much better than making a call to describe it. Receiving a text from my bank that $200 was withdrawn from the ATM at 1:34pm is much better than, well, there is no comparable voice service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I am posting on CD from my iPhone. Just because I can. And you know what, it was quite easy. No need to fire up the desktop.

Now just imagine if I was on a trip and not 10 feet away from my desktop as I now am. Just saying.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am posting on CD from my iPhone. Just because I can. And you know what, it was quite easy. No need to fire up the desktop.

Now just imagine if I was on a trip and not 10 feet away from my desktop as I now am. Just saying.
Same here. I'm waiting for my taxes to get done at the senior center just killing time.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Posting while waiting in grocery line

Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
Do you have a smartphone?

Are they worth it when you are retired?
No, I don't have one. I just use an ancient Nokia flip phone, though I have borrowed a friend's old smart phone to "road test" when he upgraded and used it for a month. I gave it back as it served no purpose for me that wasn't met by the flip phone.

Are they worth it? Well, it is is somewhat like asking about various models of cars and their accessories. Who can judge really but you? I guess you could compile a list of all the things you feel you really need a mobile phone for, and then another list of other things you think you'd like to be able to do and how important they are to you.

I should think that looking at these lists would answer your question.

I need to be able to make and receive calls at home and away from home. Don't have any other needs, and no wants. Most people seem to feel otherwise.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:02 PM

231 posts, read 236,644 times
I broke down and got one.

I like that everything is in one place.I too have a hard job texting with my fingers,so I use a stylus and when no-one is around I use the microphone on the keyboard,which makes it very simple.

I really like ,texting instead of phone calls.that really surprised me. Don't interrupt anyone and don't have to leave a message on the phone.

I think I am joining the younger genration :-)

Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
I broke down and got one.

I like that everything is in one place.I too have a hard job texting with my fingers,so I use a stylus and when no-one is around I use the microphone on the keyboard,which makes it very simple.

I really like ,texting instead of phone calls.that really surprised me. Don't interrupt anyone and don't have to leave a message on the phone.

I think I am joining the younger genration :-)
Congrats! Texting will get easier with practice. In a month you'll be telling yourself "I should have gotten one of these things years ago"!

Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
do you have a smartphone?

Are they worth it when you are retired?
yes and yes.

Will be starting my 86th year in two months and find having one for the last 11 years or so has been very helpful..........I use mine every day........Whether I'm in the house, outside, in the car or in town.
Don't play any games, but do use it for: weather, alerts of all kinds, banking, shopping lists, making lists of things I don't want to forget, and many other convenient actions and requests that make my life simplier...........And of course making and receiving phone calls,...Any where, any place, anytime!

Last edited by Montana Griz; 02-21-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Default I have a smart phone...

and hate it. I got it about three years ago, used it for a few months and put it away. I use the Straight Talk minutes for it so no contract and reinstated it a couple of weeks ago to use on vacation. I still hate it. I was happy with my flip phone and if I keep one I'll go back to that. It will cost me $30 mo. for unlimited calls and texts. I'm getting rid of my DirecTV as well. All I need is my internet and a phone. My 'smart TV' has all sorts of apps I can use for that.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
I love it. I have hundreds of libraries worth of information instantly available in my pocket. What's not to like about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement