Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,924,068 times

Advertisements

We are having one heck of a time trying to find the perfect retirement home -we are picky-very picky. We have made numerous trips to TN looking at houses after finding them online -and have come close but no cigar. It's always something!

Does it make any sense that we should just find something "temporarily" that suits us but isn't the "dream home" just so we can get our stuff out of our home in NJ and get it sold?

Then while in our interim/temporary house we will be closer to the area and not have to make numerous long house hunting trips.

We may even build so we would be close enough to keep an eye on construction.

Does that make any sense? I know we could rent but my husband was a builder and is always remodeling stuff so I think buying would be better for us- we would probably even make money on the deal.

How did you go about finding your retirement home if it was several states away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM

519 posts, read 583,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
We are having one heck of a time trying to find the perfect retirement home -we are picky-very picky. We have made numerous trips to TN looking at houses after finding them online -and have come close but no cigar. It's always something!

Does it make any sense that we should just find something "temporarily" that suits us but isn't the "dream home" just so we can get our stuff out of our home in NJ and get it sold?

Then while in our interim/temporary house we will be closer to the area and not have to make numerous long house hunting trips.

We may even build so we would be close enough to keep an eye on construction.

Does that make any sense? I know we could rent but my husband was a builder and is always remodeling stuff so I think buying would be better for us- we would probably even make money on the deal.

How did you go about finding your retirement home if it was several states away?
Sounds like you ought to seriously consider buying some land and building given your husband's background...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Sounds like you ought to seriously consider buying some land and building given your husband's background...
Yes- we are definitely leaning toward that but how do you monitor construction from 800 miles away?

Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM

519 posts, read 583,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Yes- we are definitely leaning toward that but how do you monitor construction from 800 miles away?
One of two ways I assume: a) rent while overseeing build or b) get a very good GC and fly back and forth a lot.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,962 times
I, too, think that you would probably be most happy if your husband built your home. But, since you asked how we found our retirement home I will answer that question. Throughout the years we lived in both the north and south, and knew that the south is what we preferred. We spent years on vacations in the south and narrowed down some areas we thought suited us the most. We even went house hunting new developments to find the type of home we'd be most happy in. Finally, when we were getting ready to start making a final decision, we found our home in an area we didn't even have on our radar! We decided to go out of our way to a city/town that we had on our short list. We found the ideal home and location. Price was right and we went with our gut. We did not live in the state while it was being built. Many people check on their homes constantly. We did not. So far, so good, but of course anything can happen in the future and maybe we'd kick ourselves, but, we tend to be much more relaxed over things. In the three years we've been here I can honestly say that we LOVE where we settled.

You've stated you are very picky. Maybe rent in an area first. Once you live there you'll get a true sense of the area and find that perfect place. And one little piece of advice: DOWNSIZE!! Get rid of stuff now. You'll be so happy you did.

Best of luck in your search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
1st screen - acceptable geographies. *Implied in this is also macro COL and climate
2nd screen - acceptable communities. *Implied in this is also micro COL and micro climate
3rd screen - acceptable neighborhoods.
4th screen - homes that are small enough for elderly people to keep up and won't break the bank if we needed to hire help.
5th screen - homes that are single level and would not break the bank for conversion to being aging-in-place ready. Ideally, already of appropriate form factors and floor plan for this.
6th screen - typical home search stuff - e.g. going to fall off a cliff, in wildfire hazard zone, major disclosures, inspection results, etc.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:24 PM

30,547 posts, read 16,240,407 times
There is no perfect place.
There are no perfect people.
There is no perfect job.

etc

If you keep looking for perfection, you will end up staying where you are because you won't find a place to move to.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
There is no perfect place.
There are no perfect people.
There is no perfect job.

etc

If you keep looking for perfection, you will end up staying where you are because you won't find a place to move to.
lol- at almost $12,000 in property taxes- I can absolutely assure you that will not be the case-

Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
As a lifetime builder / early retiree / 3 Rural USA locations + living overseas for part of each yr....

Very possible to do, BUT very hard to FIND the correct existing place.

I will build several more rural homes / shops / barns... but will NEVER have the 'perfect' one.

Suggestion... find the near perfect location / lot with a trashed home / Mobile Home
(no-one wants these (no vision) but they come with EZ permitting, free water, septic, power, road, fences, access, clearing...stuff that is NOT free to do yourself). Build a large shop with apartment for you and for future guest / caregiver lodging.

I keep a car, bulldozer, backhoe and shops (wood, auto, and metal) at each my locations. We rent out the Main house (for high positive cash flows), and stay for free in the cabins / shops ... fly between locations (each are in desirable 'retreat' areas, near great airports).

Eventually (~ age 80) we will slim down and pick a LT location. Sell the extra props on 'contract' for LT income.
If we croak early, someone will have 3 GREAT AUCTIONS, lots of tools!

If you are a builder... do NOT hire a Long Distance GC.
You don't need the expense / hassle / disappointment.
We did a place in TX (rebuilt a rural view home), while commuting from Thailand. It took a yr. (then we took an entire yr off for 'RTW vacation') We fired a LOT of 'smart / ego centric' contractors, and eventually did it ourselves MUCH nicer.

it will work out.
Most importantly, follow above advice and get a GREAT location. Neighborhood is critical! (add a MUST HAVE view, very enjoyable in retirement, EZ for resell)

BTW: our Property taxes went to $17,200/yr (up from $800/yr when we built the joint. 25 yrs ago... same place, no improvements, just all worn out ) so... we have 'tenants' in the guest house. they cover the taxes and insurance and feed the farm dog and plants since we are gone more than 50% of the time (at this stage). Our home is in a National Scenic Area, similar to National Park (no / few neighbors), yet 20 min to a great international airport, so NOT ez to replace. Thus we will NOT be selling it due to taxes, tho strictly for financial reasons that SHOULD be the plan.

Property Tax increases and HealthCare costs significantly changed our post-retirement cash flow needs (By $4k / month) Had to get 'creative'.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-01-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM

134 posts, read 158,528 times
I was worried about the same thing when I retire in a couple of years, and we sell this house, and need to find one in Arizona, where we're planning to relocate. I don't want to have to rush into a house that I don't love. So our solution is buying an RV that year. Sell the house here, jump into our RV, and head to Arizona. We can live in it as long as we need, until we find our dream retirement home. Relieved a lot of stress for me, both in the timing leaving here, and where to stay when we get 'there.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement