Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
At 75 I can't remember NOT having foot pain...even as a teenager. Wide feet, high instep, atypical neuropathy, corns, bunions. In my 30s I ordered mens boots for hiking shoes. Today there are much better choices. Never wore heels.

I have less pain today because I now only wear SAS shoes. Additionally I wear very expensive compression stockings which have definitely helped my neuropathy....took about 4 years for nerves to heal. SAS shoes are expensive and the stockings run about $75 a pair, but boy, oh, boy, do I feel better. I also have Crocs - wear with very thin boot liners (REI) and also have one pair of Birkies (wear with crazy-colored wool socks for
the winter). I fit right in this somewhat liberal city where I live. But SAS shoes are really great.
Lastfire, could you give me the brand of compression stockings which cost $75 and which healed the nerves and helped your neuropathy? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i get the weirdest cramps in my toes and foot . both feet , the toes go in opposite directions and cramp or sometimes i get them right in the arch of the foot .
wow does that hurt

Sounds like what happened to me, Plantar Fasciitis. Here is a link:

Plantar Fasciitis - Symptoms, Treatments, Causes of Plantar Fasciitis - from WebMD

I went to an excellent Foot Doctor and he said they call this the "6 month, 3 Dr visit ailment", and he was right. By the 3rd visit and 3 injections of cordisone, I was pain free, and it took just about 6 months to clear up. Prior to that, by the end of a work day, I was limping out of work, my right foot killing me in the arch.

He also had me fitted for hard inserts that I put into my shoes, under the inner sole, and they give that area a lot of support. Sometimes I will put on an old pair of shoes to wear in my shop, without the inserts, and by the end of the day I can feel that area tensing up again.

Take my advice, find a good foot Dr because nothing is worse than your feet killing you. Mine have been pain free for a couple of years now, after seeing the Doctor.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I've had foot problems for a very long time. My right foot was considerably smaller than the left which made buying shoes a problem. When I was a kid I mostly wore Mary Jane type shoes.

Went through plantar warts and had them removed. I had a nasty bout of plantar fasciitis. I have arthritis pain in my big toes, have had cortisone shots along the top of all my toes of right foot. I've always had to pay a lot of money for good shoes as buying cheap shoes were never a good idea.

I was given instructions to stretch my foot and Achilles tendon, as well as putting ice on the painful areas.

Never able to wear heels, at least for any length of time.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those of you who wear Crocs, (and I have several pair), how do you deal with the sweaty, clammy feet caused by the plastic construction? Some of the Crocs I have are just yucky to wear, (even though they are comfortable).
Forget the crocs. They are almost as unsafe to schlep around in as cheap $2 flip-flops.

Instead get a pair of Teva rafting sandles. The ones REALLY intended for rafting, not the "recreational" versions. They are grippy and fastened properly across the ankle and the front of your foot. I can slip mine on easily without having to undo them all the time, and even if I DID undo them to get them on and off its a velcro fastening. The version I'm thinking of used to be called the Hurricane. I wear them every day and they have lasted for years. The only surface that gives me trouble is wet polished marble/granite. And that gives EVERYBODY trouble, LOL! Short of that they are super grippy and very very safe.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
About 10 years ago, I started to wake up at night with a sharp pain between my big toe and the one next to it. I would have to put a balled up tissue between the toes to push them apart, and the pain would temporarily go away. It only bothered me at night, about 3 hours into my sleep.

Found out it is an ailment called Mortons Neuroma, where the nerve between the two toes gets thick and gets pinched, causing the pain. I finally went to a foot Doctor, and for several visits he injected cordisone right into that spot, and it would last me for a while, but come back. Finally, on the last visit, he said "I am going to go in really deep and try to hit that spot." He did, and the problem has not returned in all these years.

Just thought I would pass that one along too.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Yes, my feet are an issue, but I don't whine about it, I find shoes that I can tolerate.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ever look into Berberine vs the sweetheart Metformin. Could be the drugs too with the added neuropathy.
Metformin does not cause neuropathy, that is a symptom of diabetes. That's why it is called DIABETIC neuropathy.

You can fool around with herbal supplements if you want but the effects of Berberine are about half (or significantly less) the effect you can expect from Metformin. On Metformin my A1c has dropped 4.5 percentage points; Berberine will drop your A1c less than one percentage point on its own.

Also Berberine is a "dietary supplement", not a "medication", and as such is unregulated by the FDA. This means that there is no guarantee of purity or even that a supplement labeled "Berberine" has any actual Berberine in it at all. Dosage and metabolization of the concoction is also variable. We also have no idea of the effect of long-term use of berberine.

Please don't fool around with your diabetes medication on your own. If you really want to do something to improve your Type 2 diabetes, lose weight (I KNOW how hard that can be, I guarantee you that anyone out there is unlikely to have a harder time of that than I do, due to an ACTUAL metabolic disorder) and get out and move around as much as possible. I know how hard THAT can be as well, especially after you've already put on the weight.

Nevertheless - those 2 things will do more to reduce your dependence on something like metformin than any amount of fooling around with "herbal supplements". Why trade one artificial dependency (metformin) for another (berberine)?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM

809 posts, read 747,405 times
Can't help but asking, how do you avoid heal fissures from dry feet? I love going barefoot, and since I'm in Florida, going sock-less, but that seems to lead to dry feet and cracking. I'm now trying the pumice and foot lotion thing. It seems to be a losing effort. And I'm only 60.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
At 68, my feet are still pain-free which I attribute to years of avoiding fashionable shoes.

I haven't worn shoes in my home for decades. In warm weather, I also go barefoot in my yard.
When I leave home, I wear Keen hiking sandals year round (with socks in cold weather).

I have a collection of ballet-type wide-toe flats in a rainbow of colors that I wear with inserts for dress occasions.

fwiw, I've been on pravastatin for 10+ years with no ill effects..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Sometimes gout will attack the big toe! Happened to me for 3.5 or 4 weeks over last Christmas.

I've never had gout, but all of a sudden it hit. Couldn't put any weight on that foot for 3.5 weeks.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-12-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Can't help but asking, how do you avoid heal fissures from dry feet? I love going barefoot, and since I'm in Florida, going sock-less, but that seems to lead to dry feet and cracking. I'm now trying the pumice and foot lotion thing. It seems to be a losing effort. And I'm only 60.....
Mycocide callus exfolliator foot cream. Solved my old-lady feet problems. I also have an Amope Pedi-Perfect that I use - but the Mycocide is pretty miraculous all on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement