Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 12:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

It is like my city of Oakland where tax increases are always in the works and several have already passed and accounts for the reason Oakland property tax is 50% higher than say Castro Valley which has all the city amenities but is county...

I would have been the first in my family to have a pension but a series of mergers got rid of it and all that was not 100% vesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Look at the attitude of the govt pensioners just in this thread. The I got mine and go screw attitude. Can you honestly think these folks will be giving up their low/no cost health insurance to pay 15% of their salary for health insurance? Hell, the unions even fought against the Cadillac tax in Obamacare after saying how important it was to pass Obamacare.

I'm not a government pensioner. I'm not close to retirement, and I won't have a pension when/if I do.

And I have no idea what the rest of your rant was, I worked briefly a few times in government service and my health care in the private sector was far superior for about the same contribution.

I simply explained how we could simply, as a society, save money, have better results, better coverage and make our industries more financially competitive with the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Single payer is still administered... and the rules, inspectors and endless directives have some physicians I work with no longer accepting medicare and even a few any insurance... they are mostly the Plastic Surgeons...

Even with AHCA we still see Cash Pay patients... and Cash Pay for procedures and services almost always the lowest cost... even my dentist will offer a discount if payment is made at the time of service...

Another part of medicine is the demise of sole practitioners... they are a dying breed as the requirements for billing medicare and others requires a biller/coder, etc... just to make a reimbursement request.

First, it wouldn't be administered by the individual corporations, that is where their savings are. Second, a single payer system has a much lower administrative overhead. Third, profit for for-profit insurance companies would be removed from the equation. All resulting in savings and increased competitiveness for U.S. companies.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
In my city, Prescott, the Firefighters and Police Pension Fund was way underfunded. This is entirely separate from the state of AZ that has its own pension program. So what happened here? The voters chose to raise the sales tax to 9% for 10 years which will cover the pensions and add more to the fund. This was the voters' choice, and seems fair to me.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
They must not be retired from Public Safety of Nurses working for the State County in the SF Bay Area...

The average pension benefit for OPD is around a 100k... that is nearly 4 times the average cited above...

I have friends that retired in their early 50's from the department pushing 200k in retirement...

Only use this to illustrate how it depends on your prospective/location.

Hence the term "average."

Old 09-01-2017, 01:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Hence the term "average."
It is somewhat paradoxical that the city with one of the highest pensions is also one with the largest amount of low and subsidized housing.

I'm sure the discussion over public safety pensions here will continue long after my demise.

In a city that is always cash strapped it invites public comment...

Oakland pushes cuts to pension payments - SFGate

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Those who defend their government, local state or federal, HAVE a pension that I I I I and other taxpayers PAY for; and MANY, like me, whom like me, at age 54, have NEVER had a pension. From anywhere, any company, any employer.

So quit trying to defend yourselves.

Do you REALLY think I I I I ought to be paying taxes to fund YOUR retirement PENSION?????

You've bought goods in my retail store, ate at the restaurants I cooked in, stayed at the hotels I've worked at, and NEVER ONCE did you pay a penny for me to have a PENSION.

And I've paid into SS so I can have it, and much like YOU government employees, SOME TAXPAYERS will foot the difference between what I PAID into SS, and what I will get out of it. AND I'm being screwed by getting 1/3 LESS in SS based on the year I was born, compared to my OH, who was born 4 years earlier and is entitled to 1/3 MORE than I simply based on year of birth, Even though I am CLEARLY in the "Boomer" generation.

If you get your FAT government pension AND are eligible for SS, you get double from taxpayers. If not, your fat pension us MORE that what SS allows for me.

So to someone who HAS NEVER had a pension, you're the fat cat living off taxpayers, IF the pension fund doesn't hold up on it's own, even IF you may have paid taxes too.

AND MANY more across this country HAVE NO PENSION, than have a cushy well paying govt job, with govt Health Care and govt pension. At LEAST YOU get something, and meanwhile the fat CEOs have cut the rest of us SHORT in Both PAY and NO PENSION.

So don't cry in your coffee to me.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:29 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Even in our state (Mississippi) government workers got pay increases when no one else did. I get a small pension from 3M, but there is never going to be a COL adjustment for me. Never.
The problem is, government employees are over paid and under worked. So government jobs attract those people who are interested in the pension and could not be less interested in the job they are supposed to do.

Want to know something that will make your blood boil?......
Mississippi has the highest paid Superintendent of Education IN THE NATION! And not be just a little bit. She makes $300,000 when the average for that position is $174,000.
Mississippi Superintendent of Education is highest paid in nation

Pension?........ You bet. Why her pension will pay more than some states SoE salary! After all we gotta pay more to get the best and the brightest, right?

Downsizing the government is a must.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM

309 posts, read 196,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Those who defend their government, local state or federal, HAVE a pension that I I I I and other taxpayers PAY for; and MANY, like me, whom like me, at age 54, have NEVER had a pension. From anywhere, any company, any employer.

Do you REALLY think I I I I ought to be paying taxes to fund YOUR retirement PENSION?????

You've bought goods in my retail store, ate at the restaurants I cooked in, stayed at the hotels I've worked at, and NEVER ONCE did you pay a penny for me to have a PENSION.

And I've paid into SS so I can have it, and much like YOU government employees, SOME TAXPAYERS will foot the difference between what I PAID into SS, and what I will get out of it. AND I'm being screwed by getting 1/3 LESS in SS based on the year I was born, compared to my OH, who was born 4 years earlier and is entitled to 1/3 MORE than I simply based on year of birth, Even though I am CLEARLY in the "Boomer" generation.

If you get your FAT government pension AND are eligible for SS, you get double from taxpayers. If not, your fat pension us MORE that what SS allows for me.

So to someone who HAS NEVER had a pension, you're the fat cat living off taxpayers, IF the pension fund doesn't hold up on it's own, even IF you may have paid taxes too.

AND MANY more across this country HAVE NO PENSION, than have a cushy well paying govt job, with govt Health Care and govt pension. At LEAST YOU get something, and meanwhile the fat CEOs have cut the rest of us SHORT in Both PAY and NO PENSION.

So, are people that receive government pensions supposed to feel guilty about getting them?

The promise of a pension and free healthcare was the main reason I took my job. While you were selling goods, flipping burgers, and fluffing pillows, I walked into the County Jail every day of my 25 year career not knowing if I'd be walking out at the end of the shift (or forced double shift). I contributed to my pension fund, as well as Social Security. In fact, I usually maxed out on my SS contributions each year, so when you start collecting yours, you're welcome.

Anyone with a GED and the ability to score well on a Civil Service test could have had my career. The truth is, most people don't want to risk their lives working in a jail, patrolling the streets or fighting fires. The ones that do should be compensated accordingly.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
The problem isn't civil servants receiving a pension. The problem is outrageous returns were promised in many cases, returns that are impossible to get. Unions bribed the politicians to get these pensions that are actuarially impossible to maintain.

Since so few benefit from these outrageous pensions and benefits, of course the vast majority of tax payers are fed up with paying for it. Sentiment is moving services towards allowing the govt not to fully fund them.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

You had the opportunity of applying for one of those government jobs and didn't do that, right? Why not?

I took a 30% PAY CUT to work in government.

Is it perfect? No. Should there have been more member contributions from employees, yes. I also believe the pensions should not be more than 100% of BASE pay, I do think it is wrong to have pensions beyond base pay. I do think many politicians made poor decisions with Union pressure and overly optimistic actuarial assumptions.

But to point the finger at the employees? Wrong. They only took the opportunities given to them. You must have chosen differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement