Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Unless you live with a nice ocean view, what's the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post

My Dad lived in Vero Beach on the AtlanticOcean and said after a few years you rarely notice it. At the time I thought he was crazy. I have lived overlooking the Pacific Ocean for the past 15 years and rarely look at it. I have a city view as well and find that more interesting.
I agree that an ocean view can become uninteresting, depending upon where it is, and particularly if the view is out the window of a high-rise building or far removed from a dwelling.

What I would want the ocean for is endlessly walking along the beach, sitting on the beach, hearing and listening to (and seeing) the waves, the aroma of the sea, collecting seashells (if it's a beach with seashells), the birds.....but mostly sitting at and walking along the beach, in addition to the close-up beauty of the ocean.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-05-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:18 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
[quote=matisse12;49735974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post

I agree that an ocean view can become uninteresting, depending upon where it is. What I would want the ocean for is endlessly walking along the beach, sitting on the beach, hearing and listening to (and seeing) the waves, the aroma of the sea, collecting seashells (if it's a beach with seashells).....but mostly sitting at and walking along the beach, in addition to the close-up beauty of the ocean.
I just moved away from the beach after five years and do I ever miss it! I did sort of get tired of swimming in it and taking pictures of it swelling high and dredging out the beach in winter storms, but I never got tired of what you mention above. Walking on it and breathing in the fresh, salt air never got boring.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I just moved away from the beach after five years and do I ever miss it! I did sort of get tired of swimming in it and taking pictures of it swelling high and dredging out the beach in winter storms, but I never got tired of what you mention above. Walking on it and breathing in the fresh, salt air never got boring.
I would like to move into your recently emptied beach house!

Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
The "Methodology" section describes the weights and metrics used in estimating "Quality of life." Reading through them, I didn't find them inappropriate at all. They cover a good range of things that tend to be important to retirees.
How did South Dakota get to be ranked number 3 and North Dakota falls to 38?! Except for the no state income tax of South Dakota I do not see a huge difference between these states.

And how is Hawaii ranked 47th?! It is a top ten place to retire if one can afford it. I think that list is senseless.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:52 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
The five states under Florida are all very cold, snowy states. Is that the kind of place retired people want to live? Shoveling snow, driving on icy roads? Maybe that's all they know so it's no big deal? I live in SW Florida and there are parts of it I hate but I've grown to love it a little more the older I get (62 here). It starts getting flat around Tampa but there are parts of Florida with hills and NW Florida (sometimes called South Alabama) doesn't feel like Florida at all.

However to be honest, if my entire family wasn't here now I would definitely consider someplace with a lot less humidity but not too cold, perhaps Arizona.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
[quote=in_newengland;49736571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Oh my, I just HAVE to find a way. The lottery??

Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's like over a half a century ago - places change, don't they?

Yep, places do change. But I rather doubt that the summer humidity in Florida has changed much in the last 50 years.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:07 PM

No one has mentioned one major characteristic of Florida, although I'm not sure if it's a plus or a minus: In Florida, the cars in front of you appear to be driven by headless people.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They need to break it down in the different areas of the states. For instance, in Boston, MA, the COL is outrageous, the health care is great, and things to do/quality of life is great. There's public transportation and people don't even need cars.That's if you can afford to live anywhere around there in the first place.

Take the rest of the state and the COL is much less, there are run down old cities and towns. Nothing to do, no public transportation.

Same with neighboring CT. There's one of the riches areas in the country down in the part of the state that borders NYC and there must be a lot to do because of the proximity to NYC. There's also an affluent area around Hartford in the north. The rest of the state is like any other state--not much to do, run down cities and towns, medical care is mediocre.

In Virginia you can live around Richmond or you can live out in the sticks. Big difference. Same with NC--everyone wants to move to Asheville where the quality of life is good--probably one or two other places in the state that have good quality of life--and then there's the rest.

They need to list it by area. And they still wouldn't be able to tell us what's best for us. They can list some areas and the statistics that go with them but we still have to sift through all of it and figure out which combination is best suited for us.

Exactly. For years I have been posting that basic thought. You did a nice job of filling out the thought with specific examples.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
As far as affordability goes...You could not pay me enough to live in ten of the top fifteen states. These people have never set foot in 90% of these places and sit in a cubicle playing with numbers Many of the factors they use are meaningless to the average person heading into retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement