Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 4,860 times

Advertisements

64 yrs. old, get $1725/mo on ssdi; how much can i make , working with out having to worry about a cut in ssdi benefits ? i'll be 66 yrs old 08/18, if i should get cut before i go on regular retirement in 08/18, would i go back up to my current $1725/mo ? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:35 AM

100 posts, read 88,564 times
If you can work, why are you on SSDI?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:57 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Good point

Old 12-20-2016, 11:11 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
This is my thought. In my opinion, I would hope next to nothing. Why don't you do what many SSDI recipients do and work under the table?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
SSDI Ticket To Work Program

https://www.ssa.gov/work/overview.html

Old 12-20-2016, 11:28 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
SSDI Ticket To Work Program

https://www.ssa.gov/work/overview.html
Not sure the OP would be interested:

Quote:
Goals

The goals of the Ticket to Work Program are to:
  • Offer beneficiaries with disabilities expanded choices when seeking service and supports to enter, re-enter, and/or maintain employment;
  • Increase the financial independence and self-sufficiency of beneficiaries with disabilities; and
  • Reduce and, whenever possible, eliminate reliance on disability benefits.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Good point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This is my thought. In my opinion, I would hope next to nothing. Why don't you do what many SSDI recipients do and work under the table?
Soooooo nasty and assuming. By allowing people the chance to earn SOME money without losing benefits they can have a period of "trial" employment. Otherwise, if you try to work and quite SSDI but then can't hold the job, it can takes months to get reinstated. That would mean very little encouragement to even try to work.

Do you want to encourage people to work or not? No, you'd rather deny them any kind of benefit or give them something just so you can complain about how hard YOU'VE worked.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Here we go again. How about because we can't afford to live on the tiny check we receive? I work part time, I have SSDI, and it's all above board. I couldn't work full time and I can't afford not to work at all. As to the answer to OP's question, the cap for 2016 is $1130/month gross, whatever your income from SSD. It may change for 2017 though.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Don't be too quick to judge. SSDI is not easy to get and it's almost impossible to get it fraudulently. SSDI and Medicaid usually go together. Many disabled people are capable of working and many would LIKE to work. But they are ill or have medical needs that make them uninsurable in the real world. IF they could get insurance, it would cost more than they make.

It's a Catch-22. Maybe you can work and make enough to be OK giving up the SSDI. But you can't afford the monthly premium for health insurance. And if you qualified for SSDI...you can't afford to go without health insurance because you are disabled and have ongoing medical needs. Even though you might be able to work a few hours a week and keep your SSDI, those few hours may be enough to end your Medicaid eligibility.

The ACA solved this dilemma for some people. They were guaranteed insurance at a cost determined by their income. Many gave up their disability payments. Now ACA is most likely history so these people are going back on disability so they can get insurance.

To the OP- Be very careful if you have both SSDI and Medicaid. The financial eligibility is not identical for both these programs. You may be able to have a part time job that lets you keep SSDI but it could make you ineligible for Medicaid.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:17 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
almost impossible to get fraudulently ? guess you don't watch enough judge judy . just about every person on her show on ssdi is on because they are being sued for poor craftsmanship or unfinished work as they renovate houses on the side .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement