Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,858 times

Advertisements

Will this list change with new tax laws? Just askin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think a lot depends where you spent the last 30 years too.
Very true! I'm tired of the Midwest. I'm tired of the climate-extremes, of the corn and beans, the flat landlocked expanses, the "heartland" culture, the depressed economy, the lack of international cosmopolitanism. I miss the salty ocean air, I miss the wide boulevards and grand edifices built centuries ago. I miss the staccato, mellifluous cadence of my native-language. But as Tom Wolfe warned us, a true return is impossible. We must plod along at present course, or perhaps if we're insistent on a change, the change is one more novelty, and not some fable of a distant past. But this of course means even more options, and even more ambiguity.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That surveys method is terrible. After being retired and living among retirees, I can tell you the biggest concerns for retirees.
1. Weather. Old people get cold easy, and cold weather also makes people with arthritus miserable.
2.Taxes.
3.Cost of living.
4.Crime rates.
5.Recreation
6.Access to health care.

Some of the factors listed here Ive never heard discussed. Most retirees dont care much for how obese people are. Ive never met one who wanted to take college courses. Never heard anyone talk about the health of the state govts finances or the economy in the state, or what the average per capita income of a states residents.
Crime rates aren't a good measure for a state. That's more of a local thing. Where I live its extremely safe, but 50 miles from here is dangerous. States are too varied for a stat like that to play into this kind of list.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
ever wonder why they don't put the list on one or two pages.

Because that would defeat the purpose of click-bait, which is why online publications assign an intern to spend an afternoon compiling these phony lists in the firsts place.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Did I see Kiplinger has designated some of the best paces that are in the worse states.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
So the worst state is NY, but as the article itself states:
"One (pricey) Big Apple spoils the entire Empire State. Manhattan reigns as the most expensive place to live in the U.S., with costs soaring 127.4% above the national average, according to the Council for Community and Economic Research. New York sports the second-highest living costs of any state, behind only Hawaii."

Most retirees will not be living in Manhattan. Western NY State has among the lowest health care and housing costs in the US. NY doesn't tax the first $20k of pension income, doesn't tax social security income, and doesn't tax any government pensions at all.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Using our methodology, the following 15 states rank as the least attractive for retirees. That doesn't make them terrible places to live.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...5&kwp_1=901145
It's simple, all the blue states suck.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
So the worst state is NY, but as the article itself states:
"One (pricey) Big Apple spoils the entire Empire State. Manhattan reigns as the most expensive place to live in the U.S., with costs soaring 127.4% above the national average, according to the Council for Community and Economic Research. New York sports the second-highest living costs of any state, behind only Hawaii."

Most retirees will not be living in Manhattan. Western NY State has among the lowest health care and housing costs in the US. NY doesn't tax the first $20k of pension income, doesn't tax social security income, and doesn't tax any government pensions at all.
And who pays for those gold plated non taxed gvmnt pensions....every time they buy something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement