Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
When I was young, I thought of my grandparents as being old. I am now a proud grandparent of 7 wonderful little humans and don't mind at all being "old". Loving every minute of it! Just please don't call me sweetie or hon.
Ditto here. I've had nurses and wait staff call me Honey and it drives me bonkers! Unless we're in a deeply committed relationship please don't call me by any "pet" names.

The only exception is when I'm visiting the deep South--I understand that referring to someone as "Honey" is a common colloquialism there and I'm OK with that. Honestly, when a Northerner calls me "Hon" it sounds downright condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I agree with Harpaint --I like Senior or Senior Citizen! If it is not broken, we shouldn't be fixing it, Lol.
"

I don't necessarily mind being referred to as a "Senior" (especially if it results in getting a discount ) but I find it awkward to be lumped into the same category as my 85 year old aunt. I'm 66 going on 21 and I'm not ready to settle into those "golden years" yet.

I prefer "Baby Boomer" as I'm still feelin' groovy after all these years

Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
I live in the mid south, but I grew up in northern California. I've called everybody pet names my whole life and I just don't get the whole being offended by "hon" or "dear" or whatever. I guess it's how we're raised, but to me it makes me happy when someone speaks to me that way. It makes me feel like they like me or they want to be nice, and on a friendly basis. I know some people think it's meant condescendingly, but it's usually not. It's just better than "hey you". I can't understand people who are insulted by ma'am or sir either. Maybe it's because I was military, or maybe because we were raised to speak that way to anyone we didn't know, especially if they were older than us. I consider it a sign of respect, more formal than "hon" or sweetie" that's for sure!

My old next door neighbor told me she got all up in some poor waitress' face for calling neighbor's husband "hon". She acted like the woman was trying to "steal her man". DH and I laughed our butts off about that later. After that I knew she was wound way too tight for me to ever be close with.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I call my friends "hey girlie", "hon", "cutie", we are all seniors. Also call them by their names. Also, "hey girlfriend".

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-31-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I live in the mid south, but I grew up in northern California. I've called everybody pet names my whole life and I just don't get the whole being offended by "hon" or "dear" or whatever. I guess it's how we're raised, but to me it makes me happy when someone speaks to me that way. It makes me feel like they like me or they want to be nice, and on a friendly basis. I know some people think it's meant condescendingly, but it's usually not. It's just better than "hey you". I can't understand people who are insulted by ma'am or sir either. Maybe it's because I was military, or maybe because we were raised to speak that way to anyone we didn't know, especially if they were older than us. I consider it a sign of respect, more formal than "hon" or sweetie" that's for sure!

My old next door neighbor told me she got all up in some poor waitress' face for calling neighbor's husband "hon". She acted like the woman was trying to "steal her man". DH and I laughed our butts off about that later. After that I knew she was wound way too tight for me to ever be close with.

I get what you're saying and believe it's just a regional thing. I was brought up in the Northeast where using pet names just wasn't done so it's arresting when someone addresses me so informally. Even though it might bother me it's not worth "getting up in someone's face" about it. In the grand scheme of things it's small potatoes.

I have my own colloquialisms. When I'm with my work friends I refer to them as "the girls" or "the ladies." With my best friend or my daughters I might call them "chica" (I picked this one up from a co-worker who was born in Colombia) or "chicklets" or "chikki (chickie)." Of course, there's also the politically incorrect "you guys" to refer to anyone male or female....

Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
This thread should be titled Patronizing Terms for the Elderly. It's been that way since the first post.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I call them "cotton tops" -- not sure where I heard that term but I'm right up there with them.
Doesn't work for me, I'm bald.

I'll stick with "old fart"

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I lie the terms "seasoned citizen" or "mature adults."

Old 12-31-2017, 10:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Seniors or elders is fine with me.

Not all of us are baby boomers and in the future even fewer will be. I don't mind Oldster--it's the opposite of Youngster so it might work too.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
I'm good with senior, baby boomer, old fart, and older than dirt.
But elderly is a no-go. Sweetie and hon were never-go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement