Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times

Advertisements

Unicorn hunter: Misery loves company, or so they say. LOL

Medically retired since late 2010. Recently went bankrupt which relieved a huge pressure I felt. I owed a lot of money and thought I could pay it off, if not down. But after too many years of fooling myself, I gave in. It's a relief.

I have two cats that I love a lot but realize I would have been better off with one dog. Maybe a beagle. With a dog, I would have to get outside and walk a bit. Cats require a lot of work, tho people say they are easier than a dog. I don't agree.

Thanks for posting, each one I read gives me something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM

492 posts, read 630,952 times
Have you thought about volunteering? Hospital, library, school, nursing home? Or get involved in your local church. Get up, get out, get involved. Think of all the people you could help!!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
LOL! I have FOUR cats and yes, they are a lot of work!!!! I also have a small dog and my granddaughter, so have a lot going on even when there is nothing going on! I waste a lot of time looking/researching the "perfect" retirement location so that uses up a lot of time as well! Then there is reading forums/FB/news....etc. etc. But it is hard in the dreary months, even so.....as you summed up well....misery loves company!

Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I can relate and think for myself the problem is too much social isolation. Although I'm still working it is a solitary kind of position. For me, if I could find a group that meets for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner on a routine basis, even if just once a month that would help me tremendously. Or something like a healthy cooking class at the local community college adult ed program.

Know that you are not alone.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

That first step to get off it seems monumental to me. I find time flies by and before I know it, it's dark out and I don't go anywhere after dark (kind of a new thing for me).

Has anyone else "been there, done that?" How did you overcome it?
Make your bed and get dressed first thing every morning while the coffee is brewing.

Nothing worse to set the stage for "doing nothing" then staying in your pajamas all day.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Sounds more like the law of inertia to me: an object at rest tends to stay at rest. An object in motion tends to stay in motion.

translate to : a plopped butt tends to stay plopped.

yes, you've had a lot going on in your life but the fact that you're concerned about your rut says your mind is telling your body it's time to move. Or maybe it's the other way around.

get on youtube; look for exercises you can do. very simple basic ones. choose a couple ask your dr if it's ok and do them. soup cans for weights; tai ji ( my favorite), yoga for seniors. dance moves. There's no end to the variety. Your dr may even recommend a couple.

Then (this is the hard part) do it. It's only 5 minutes. Then return to your rut. Then 10 minutes; return to your rut. After a while you will miss the time spent exercising. Honest!

Old 01-11-2018, 03:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
There used to be a time in my life when I didn't know what a rut was . But I sure know what one is now and not making much headway getting out of it.

I've been medically retired since late 2010. Bilateral glaucoma surgeries. Long recovery. One eye still not "working" the way I'd like it to and it looks like it's a permanent thing.

Up until then I had a pretty bumpy road to ride on with various personal, employment, financial, family obstacles to overcome. I think once I had to go in for the eye surgeries and the very inactive recovery I had to adhere to, I more or less "deflated." In 2012 I had a knee surgery to clean out all the junk that was in there, then in 2014 I had a total knee replacement. So more time in recovery. I had already gotten used to the lack of activity due to eye surgeries, so it was "easy" to slip back into being a couch potato, TV watcher.

My oldest sister died two years ago after having spent 10 years in nursing home (long story, she was not well mentally or physically). Her adult daughter and I were the only relatives who could visit, advocate for her, etc., and I ended up doing most of it.

There were some other things that happened but already talked about too much.

So here I sit, Friday afternoon, brief nice weather interlude yesterday and today, heavy snow and cold winds forecasted for tomorrow. And I'm playing with computer and not dressed.

I've been telling myself I was due for this "rest". Worn out from all the above plus a few more.

But I'm 75 and putting on weight (not a good thing).

Before anyone here mentions it, yes I know I'm sitting on the pity pot. I'm the only one who can get myself off it.

That first step to get off it seems monumental to me. I find time flies by and before I know it, it's dark out and I don't go anywhere after dark (kind of a new thing for me).

Has anyone else "been there, done that?" How did you overcome it?
Yes, you're definitely in a rut. It's Thursday.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 PM

498 posts, read 571,598 times
When husband was placed in memory care three months ago, I knew I had to fight to battle depression/isolation. He has been ill for 13 years and so we had no friends, no church attendance, etc. I joined three senior centers and now go on the van day trips twice a month. I go to church and the monthly lunch for seniors. I joined the Audubon group and have returned to birding. I also have told my neighbors that I will babysit cats/dogs. I have also joined a senior group for my immediate neighborhood who meet for coffee once a month. Since I take a medicine that requires that I wait 30 minutes before eating, I immediately dress and make my bed before going into the kitchen. Am I joyous? No. Am I hoping that I will reconnect with the human race and not become the "old lady in Unit---"? Tht is my hope. I do not exercise. I did that for years and I found that no one chats at an exercise class. I need social interaction -not meditation. I am 75 and I figure I have a few more years of being active. I am also signing up for a 3 month training to become a master naturalist with the county. Get out there, NYgal. Wish you lived here....I would take you with me!

Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Yes, you're definitely in a rut. It's Thursday.

Thanks, I needed that laugh. I have said Friday all day today........ yikes.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Thanks, I needed that laugh. I have said Friday all day today........ yikes.
Oh I thought it was Wednesday until I heard an MD on his Thursday talk radio 1 hr program. I said, oh it's Thursday, it's Dr. Kipper...

Don't sell meditation short, one can combine it and have a very active life. A better joyful life since meditation gets those endorfans reeved up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement