Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals do not need humans to care for them. God/nature created animals with the ability to take care of themselves.

Your statement is more about your needs than the needs of the animals.
That is so not true. A domestic pet is just that-domestic. It cannot survive indefinitely in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. Nothing is 100%. The post I replied to was so non-chalant I FELT it was made in the context that pets are disposable. If one HAS to move and cannot take their pet(s) that is one thing, it is another when the pets are not even considered in the equasion. Most pet owners do take their pets in consideration when contemplating a move.

I usually enjoy your posts, your rudeness to mine surprised me.
IMHO the "rude" reply was due to your statement about NO TRUE pet owner. Left no room for exceptions. Never say never. I once gave up a pet bird when faced with a job transfer move. On a logistical level I could have taken the bird along. However, I knew that the climate and the probable living conditions at the new location would be hard on this bird. Could only afford a much smaller house, less chance to spend time free flying, less reliable temperature control, lack of sunlight, and also the lack of any avian vet care there. It wasn't an easy decision and I placed my pet in a new home myself, but it does happen. It was more than an inconvenience. It was a quality of life decision and it was the right one at that time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-19-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 01:48 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Nygal, It took me over two years of agonizing before I finally made the move from Minnesota. BUT, I also didn't have a pet at the time. And, everything just fell into place. The right apartment available, my lease was such that all I had to give was a one month notice plus they had a waiting list so it worked out fine.

The first year I spent researching, researching & more researching. I was scared to leave the known for the unknown.

It took the two bad falls I had last winter for me to realize I just couldn't do winter anymore. If not for them I'd probably still be there. It also took me that long to save the money to move.

That was a problem & it took awhile & that's what it takes.

Spring will come & you may feel differently once the weather is nice. If not, start putting money away to save for a move. And yes, I know it's easier said than done.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Thank you Meo.

My reason for wanting to move is different. I do have arthritis and physical problems, but am mobile enough to get around on my own.

It is the people who own this place, making new rules which are not favorable for us. I spoke with another tenant earlier today and she said same thing. After all this time, why are they changing things now? The changes are not necessarily for our good.

And I'm still waiting on the toilet fix/replacement. I have contacted a lawyer, tho.

I have a friend in PA who has suggested looking in her area. It is within a few hours of driving distance. I am doing some Google searching in that area. But as you mentioned, I have to save some money first in order to move.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:27 PM

401 posts, read 331,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
All maintenance has to be requested by a written form. So that has been covered for the toilet. But this has been going on 6 years. I know from what I've read online for NY and renters rights, I can withhold part of my rent. But I first want to talk to a lawyer. I don't want to do anything that will backfire on me.

I wrote to the NY state attorney general (for a different problem) about a year ago who did notify the owners/management but that was all they could do. They advised getting a lawyer.
I know that when my mother was a senior she called our Dept of Elderly Affairs and they provided her with an attorney. By the looks of your name, you are in New York and I found https://aging.ny.gov/LivableNY/Index.cfm and/or from that page I clicked on https://aging.ny.gov/LivableNY/LegalServices/Index.cfm

The statewide Legal Services Initiative is a collaborative public/private effort to increase access to affordable legal assistance for:

Older adults
Persons of all ages with disabilities
The caregivers of these population groups
The ultimate aim of this initiative is to advance equal access to justice for these individuals.

The primary partners in this joint initiative are:

New York State Office for the Aging
New York State Office of Court Administration
New York State Bar Association
New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

This is not my state but I do know that my state is very good with trying to keep older people and people with disabilities in their homes. There are many services available here. Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
bbtm100912: Thank you for your informative post.

I have looked that all up. I did contact one of the lawyers listed that are available to help us. Now I wait for them to get back to me. Since today is Friday and I'm guessing they don't work weekends, I hope to hear from them on Monday. If I don't, I will call them.

Among the recent problems indicated with the paperwork they gave us all yesterday is the fact I've been trying to get them to get me a new toilet. Mine does not function as it should. Does not flush solids. I've called the board of health and was told they have been in touch with management here. That was about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to reach health dept. again. But hopefully the above mentioned lawyer can help, too. (This toilet problem has been ongoing for more than 6 years with no resolution. I've asked them over and over and over again.)

I'm 75 and finding the physical strength I've had is more or less waning. Not the girl I used to be, for sure.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you Meo.

My reason for wanting to move is different. I do have arthritis and physical problems, but am mobile enough to get around on my own.

It is the people who own this place, making new rules which are not favorable for us. I spoke with another tenant earlier today and she said same thing. After all this time, why are they changing things now? The changes are not necessarily for our good.

And I'm still waiting on the toilet fix/replacement. I have contacted a lawyer, tho.

I have a friend in PA who has suggested looking in her area. It is within a few hours of driving distance. I am doing some Google searching in that area. But as you mentioned, I have to save some money first in order to move.
If you scroll up and read my replies, I gave you the answer.

Their HUD grant expired and now they are no longer obligated to provide the same level of service.

I bet you money on that. If you google the company you can probably confirm it.

I and others gave you alot of information about the toilet and where to call on that gigantic toilet thread. I know you're just venting but please lets' not duplicate that again on a moving thread. I explicitly remember the "ran out of steam" discussion which turned into a big argument.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals do not need humans to care for them. God/nature created animals with the ability to take care of themselves.

Your statement is more about your needs than the needs of the animals.
You've got to be kidding me.

In what universe?

God and nature did NOT create genetically DNA domesticated animals. #science

Old 01-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You need to look at the landlord tenant handbook or laws for your state.

In most cases a written (NOT oral) repair request to a landlord, such as for a broken toilet, is made by a tenant.
The landlord then has x days to reply with a repair date.
If not done within the scheduled time frame, tenant has remedies, (in this case) call a plumber themselves and deduct cost from rent.

States vary- you must look up the rules in your state.
She knows ALL this in abundance. There's another huge epic thread about the toilet and her community.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Who made you the one to define “true pet owner”? While we didn’t even think of leaving our dogs behind when we moved, in some cases there are good reasons for rehoming them before moving. As just one example: someone loses a job and can only find one elsewhere, requiring that they move. They cannot obtain suitable housing for the pet(s). They choose NOT to sacrifice the ability to support themselves; if they stay put, unemployed, they won’t be able to support themselves or the pet.
Pretty sure that emotional reply was in response to another member suggesting people can just dump their pets on his (or some else's) farm. Because it's so much fun for them to find "adventures" in the woods, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement