Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 AM

536 posts, read 960,856 times

Advertisements

For those of you who relocated for retirement, how did you narrow down your search, and then scout out the areas? Did you have an area in mind well before retirement? Did you go for the weather, family or cost of living? I've known people who circled an area of a state as their ideal location, and just went out and spent time touring and getting a feel for the area, then later went back to the favorite area and bought a house and love it. Never looked back. I've been researching COL of areas, and looked on realtor.com to see what kind of housing is there, and even google earth to drop down to see what the area looked like. I am planning to scout out the eastern side of TX, and will start in Nacogdoches, and then make a drive up to Tyler area to look around. I think it would be easy to become overwhelmed if you hack of a large area to scout at one time. Anyway, I just wondered how some of you did this, and the best way to go about it. I would love to hear how you found an area, and then how you scouted it and then finally decided it was "home".

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
This exact topic was discussed right here in the Retirement forum just within the last year. You might want to hunt up that thread. But briefly . . .

For me, it was a long process. I went for weather and COL, in addition to several other factors. Along with the computer research, visits are very, very important. In all seasons. My retirement move was about 1,200 miles and so far, I'm extremely happy with my retirement home and its location.

(But it sure is cold around here the past week!)

- - -

Edited to add:

Start here.
Retirement Relocation Research: How Much -- or Little?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-22-2018, 09:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
The first thing to do is make a list of requirements and priorities. Include proximity to HC, commerce, airports, etc. and then factor in weather, activities, landscape, and then COL, taxes, government restrictions. You will be surprised quickly you can include or exclude areas before you go to visit.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
three words.

VISIT

VISIT

VISIT

You need to weigh your choice. So make a spread sheet with your wants and needs. Give them a value and rate each location on each of those. Then weigh it against the cost and the non-monetary costs of the move. Remembering that if you do move you will need to find your support chain in your new location. Test it out before you buy by living in the area. Good luck

Old 02-22-2018, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 17,939 times
I began my search with Colorado but then I discovered that the rents and condo were too expensive and housing was tight, a seller's market. Disappointed, I decided what is most important to me and I listed these on paper and numerically valued them. So if weather is top priority, then it gets a 10. For me nightlife is a 1---- I settled on west coast Florida.
and so on. Be very honest. Consider the crime factor. Don't waste time with the usual lists compiled by organizations. Then I looked up the internet each city and town where I might want to live because I need to live near a sizeable city. and a scenic area.The places I had known and visited were most important. I have been to Kentucky twice on vacation but would not live there. But Nashville is high on my list. It too is expensive but it has no beach or mountains nearby. You don't want to be bored where you go and the potential for that is high in a very small Texan town.
Once you find an area, look up the homes online. A real estate agent will call you or write you immediately perhaps. In the end, you must visit in person. The online images are misleading.

Last edited by LuckyM; 02-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: change

Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Almost everything you need to know about almost any town you can find online and google maps allows you to virtually walk down every street. Try not to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Narrow your search to a couple of places and then visit.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
You may consider re-reading a similar thread you started back in 2014:

what is your main criteria when deciding on a location to retire to?

And, this thread will address some of your questions:

I cant figure out where to retire, how did you?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM

536 posts, read 960,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
You may consider re-reading a similar thread you started back in 2014:

what is your main criteria when deciding on a location to retire to?

And, this thread will address some of your questions:

I cant figure out where to retire, how did you?

Thank you all for input. Volosong, I had forgotten about that thread I started back then. We are much closer to goal now. These forums have been a great help. I have a lot of reading to do!

Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 8,996 times
Tamaralj,

East Texas is a beautiful place, and the cost of living is exceptionally low.

We have not yet relocated, but we have been considering doing so. One important factor for us will be proximity to a medium to large hospital. We are in good health, but know that surgery during senior years is likely for everyone.

If proximity to a quality hospital is important to you, I would suggest living close to Texarkana, Longview, Tyler, Nacogdoches, or Lufkin. Those cities have sufficient population to justify one or more medium sized hospitals.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Every place has the good and the bad, you've been accommodating to that all your life. Don't start knocking yourself out about it.

My wife and I came back from South America and had no particular place to go and just went on a leisurely road trip. We camped out on the edge of Madison, Florida (up in the real Florida, where there are no retirees). Got up in the morning and liked the air, and saw a sign saying apartments for rent, and an hour later, we signed the lease. We were perfectly happy there for two years. Later, after splending a year in Asia, we found another paradise the same way, this time in Salem, Missouri.

By the way, first thing in the morning, with dew on the ground and birdsong in the air and coffee in your mug, is the best time to fall in love with a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement