Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Junk mail was started by Lunsford Richardson, who invented Vick's VapoRub. Here is one article about it.
https://rockysmith.net/2013/07/13/th...-of-junk-mail/
Interesting story. Thanks for posting!

That bastard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I entered a popular radio station's contest 20+ years ago online and purposely used a deviation of my name, one time and one time only. To this day, after 4 moves and address changes, I still get the occasional piece of junk mail in that name at my current address, AND get spam with that name in my email spam box. I have never used that name online, yet "they" know .......Big Brother knows all. So I know where that name originally entered the "system" and who sold/marketed it.

I will still receive the occasional piece of mail for my daughter at my address in her maiden name. She has been using her married name for 15 years, and has never lived at my current address or any of my last 4 addresses.
Yeah, in a few cases I can tell who distributed my info based on an individual mailer’s typo that later grew into multiple typoed mailers.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Part of it is perception: the first class mail has decreased markedly since most people started using computers, so the junk mail makes up a larger proportion of the total mail you receive. I think it's the only thing that keeps the Post Office in business.
Hmmm, that does apply to me about perception. I remember subscribing to print magazines whose contents had more...content...than ads or referrals to online articles. Duh, if I paid for a print mag I don’t want to be sent to a computer,

Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Check this out, folks.

Number of junk mail letters delivered each year in the U.S. 104,700,000,000
Tons of paper used for sending junk mail 6,500,000 tons (That's 13-billion pounds)

https://www.statisticbrain.com/paper-use-statistics/

I bet you thought with the death of newspapers and the use of plastic shopping bags and the digital storage and transmission of documents, we must be cutting down on our use of paper?
Percent increase in paper use today than 40 years ago 400 %
Number of times the average document is copied 10 times
Percent of office paper printed that ends up in the trash by the end of day 45 %

Are we ashamed yet?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
Even our dog has received junk mail.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 AM

221 posts, read 192,769 times
Sandy Paws?

Old 02-01-2018, 02:19 AM

775 posts, read 776,127 times
Did I miss something? Is this a retirement issue?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Retirees get more junk mail than anybody else.

Retirees also can remember farther back in their longer lives than younger people can.

I was seeking comments on WHEN junk mail became so proliferous, not mere statements that people get junk mail now.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you want the junk mail to stop, permanently forward your mail to a PO box.... After a year, the forwarding order will expire and the mail you care about will magically start appearing in your mailbox and you can cancel the PO box....If you move, you want to adopt that same strategy. Permanently forward all your mail to a PO box.
This will not help anything.

The fallacy here is using a permanent forwarding. To reduce (hard to stop) BBM (bulk business mail), never put in a permanent forwarding. If you do, everybody gets notified! Just because you cancel the PO box after a year, when the forwarding ends, does not mean everybody won't get notified once again; they will.

Instead, use a temporary forwarding. This is what snowbirds and RVers use. Nobody gets notified of anything, but your first class mail gets forwarded to you. You can choose any amount of time up to a year. If no further instructions are given, the mail will then be returned as "Undeliverable as Addressed". Just as it would be after a year with a permanent forwarding, except nobody gets notified of the new address. You will have plenty of time during that year to change your own addresses.

Clark Howard has an excellent suggestion for those who dislike credit card and loan applications in the mail. It's called a security freeze on all 3 credit bureaus. You get a PIN for each one, so you can lift the freeze whenever you wish (say, if applying for credit). I have done this, and it works!

You will still get BBM no matter what you do; you can only reduce it. If you absolutely want to get rid of it once and for all, you can rent a Florida mail service account. "Mail Service" is the word here. They will forward your mail anywhere you wish, or you can view it online, and you can have them discard all mail from bulk advertisers. I have also done this! I haven't looked at any junk mail in 5 years!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
There are some disadvantages to living without ANY mail service at all---but not getting junk mail makes it all worthwhile. Same with no phones (just used for travel). Email does all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement