Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What if your passion was to "drift through life"?
Then that will likely be your same pattern in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're going to do exactly what you did before retirement. If you play cards and tennis, then you'll play cards and tennis after retiring. I always watched a lot of TV and still do. I have more than enough to fill my day with projects, hobbies and volunteering.
Just bought another boat, and have some electronics to install.

The retirees that are doomed to death soon after retiring are the ones without hobbies or skills.
All they had were the social and productivity aspects of employment.
Leaving that without a hobby or outside relationships is a mistake many make. This is common knowledge yet they do it anyway.

I have friends that moved into "planned old-people developments". I don't want or need a forced activity scene where neighbors ride bikes and have sushi parties together. I'd rather be among a regular cross section of people.
Have to run. Have some staining to do.

I am amazed that this is such a common perception. I'm sure I'm not the only retiree who CAN'T do the hobbies I used to. I would love to! So I can't live the life I was used to. I miss my hobbies tremendously and hardly know who I am without them.

Joint issues have really constricted my world so now it's "down" to reading, strolling the beach, tossing a Frisbee....not quite "what I was used to".

On a positive note, our gated condo community is a set of built-in friends and social activities. No problem finding or making friends!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I've tried retirement twice, didn't work for me. It felt like I was closing the book of my life, final chapter, the end. Found out I missed the work I was doing, it was stimulating and good for my physical health as well. In the 4.5 years I was retired, I aged mentally and physically more than if I was active and working.

I can see how some people would enjoy not having to get up every day and go to the same old grind, and that is fine. I just found it boring as Hell.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've tried retirement twice, didn't work for me. It felt like I was closing the book of my life, final chapter, the end. Found out I missed the work I was doing, it was stimulating and good for my physical health as well. In the 4.5 years I was retired, I aged mentally and physically more than if I was active and working.

I can see how some people would enjoy not having to get up every day and go to the same old grind, and that is fine. I just found it boring as Hell.
yes - I loved my time in the air force. Nothing boring about it. I just couldn't physically do it any longer. I felt I would be a danger to others if I couldn't look after myself if we were in some sort of conflict. I didn't want one of the guys to feel that he had to take care of me.

Anyway - i'm around a lot of people that work for the local school and 99 percent of them hate it. I just don't understand that.

I've subbed and can see part of it - very chaotic environment. The classrooms are so messy. But for some reason, elementary teachers feel like they have to throw all sorts of junk on the walls without having a theme or sense of order.

But that is another story.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What if your passion was to "drift through life"?
Some of the best things happened to me in my life when I allowed myself to just drift. Sometimes drifting can be a good thing.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Some of the best things happened to me in my life when I allowed myself to just drift. Sometimes drifting can be a good thing.
I never really planned anything either. I was lucky I guess.

Now if I would have had kids, maybe I would have been more in tune.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I look forward to doing NOTHING for as long as I want.

With almost 50 years working I think I am entitled.

My dad retired at 63 and sat in his chair and read. Carted my mother around for groceries and errands (she didn't drive) and lead a basic sedentary retirement until he died at 80 from emphysema (too many years smoking). My mother was a SAHM - and did not work outside the house.

Years ago I thought I would last in the workplace until I was 67 matching the age of my oldest sister when she retired. I am 9 months from age 65 and because of circumstances beyond my control (new administration after election) I will go out voluntarily right after that. Even if these circumstances were not there - I am more than ready.

I have dogs that awaken me at 5AM.. Today they "slept in" to 6AM. - which was an unusual treat for me.

I am not my dad - I have never smoked - but the idea of doing nothing for a long period of time is so very inviting.

I call it reclaiming my life.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're going to do exactly what you did before retirement. If you play cards and tennis, then you'll play cards and tennis after retiring. I always watched a lot of TV and still do. I have more than enough to fill my day with projects, hobbies and volunteering.
Just bought another boat, and have some electronics to install.

The retirees that are doomed to death soon after retiring are the ones without hobbies or skills.
All they had were the social and productivity aspects of employment.
Leaving that without a hobby or outside relationships is a mistake many make. This is common knowledge yet they do it anyway.

I have friends that moved into "planned old-people developments". I don't want or need a forced activity scene where neighbors ride bikes and have sushi parties together. I'd rather be among a regular cross section of people.
Have to run. Have some staining to do.
I hope our life is different in many respects post retirement. We live in a small town, but are not actively involved. We plan to move to the mountains, where we can take drives and view the scenery when we want to. We both like the outdoors and hope to do some hiking and boating. Etc..Just hope we make it to do those things.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I hope our life is different in many respects post retirement. We live in a small town, but are not actively involved. We plan to move to the mountains, where we can take drives and view the scenery when we want to. We both like the outdoors and hope to do some hiking and boating. Etc..Just hope we make it to do those things.
Sometimes things you haven't done sound better than they really are. Of course, not always.

Basically I believe people do what is important to them, so our retired life IS similar to our life when we weren't. We have more time to do the same things we always did: exercise, hike, travel, our hobbies
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 31,776 times
I'm finding that after 6 years of retirement what you end up doing most is what you crammed into your weekends and vacations during your working years.

You might find a new outlet here and there to fill up some time because you have more of it in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement