Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:05 AM

776 posts, read 956,864 times

Advertisements

Today a local community centre here in Toronto has been rented by a national company , to hold a form of antique road show. The company holds these one day open house events around Toronto every couple of weeks. They offer free appraisals of just about anything that you have.

I will be walking over, ( its about 2 kilometres ) with a couple of gold items, and some sterling silver table ware. Their ad, delivered to every home in a 5 kilometre radius, lists all of the various types of things that they will buy. They pay cash or if you would rather, they will credit your credit card account.

My point is... Do you have things that you think are valuable, that no one else values ?.

So called collector items like beanie babies, collector plates or the like ?

Are you holding on to them thinking that `the kids will want them ` ? Most younger people don`t want dust catchers. Or china dogs.

If you had the opportunity, would you sell the items that I referred to above. I will be doing that today.

Your comments are welcome.

XXX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,060,534 times
When I was little (50+ years ago) we had good Sunday dishes, silverplate flatware, and fancy glassware. I wound up with the flatware, sold the set for about $50-$75. No one knows what happened to the glasses. When my dad died I told my sister I wanted the dishes and she stored them in her barn for 25 years until I got a place where I needed and wanted them.

I love using them, they don't have a lot of monetary value but lots of memories. Even my sis enjoyed eating off them when she came to visit.

You are right, there is going to be a LOT of this stuff getting passed down to people who don't want it.

For the precious metal items, you might want to check at a local dealer first. Hard to believe the traveling road show company won't lowball you.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Yes agree. My children really don't want my stuff now that they are grown and even if they did their spouses probably will have different taste or their houses don't accommodate my larger furniture. And my daughter does not entertain with formal sit down dinners but grill in the backyard catered type things. My daughter in law might do smaller size entertainment when they graduate. So I hold some things for her and son if they want it.

I would made use of such a place as you describe.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Nobody wants old silver stuff:

https://www.ebth.com/search?q=silver...&status=active

Those were treasured by long gone ancestors.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:45 AM

587 posts, read 444,361 times
When my mil passed away in 2014 my sil didn't want the Wedgewood dishes, but my daughter did. My sil has been nice enough to store the dishes for us and we bring some back to So Cal with us each time we visit Bermuda. Of course our daughter doesn't have room for these in her small apartment so we are storing them for now!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 AM

776 posts, read 956,864 times
VT Snowbird.

The company states in their advertising, which is delivered to each house by Canada Post, exactly what they pay per GRAM of silver or gold. Before I go over today, I have all ready looked up today`s spot price for silver( about $14.89 per ounce in US dollars ) and the spot price for gold ( about $1344 per ounce in US dollars )`

I expect they will offer 15 to 20 percent below the spot price. Lower karat gold will bring lower prices.

Rare 1900 to 1920 hockey cards will bring high prices. A 1917 first year NHL team photo of the Stanley Cup winners ...has a standing offer of $2500 .

A Distinguished Flying Cross, has a standing price of $11,000. A Victoria Cross has a standing offer of $150,000. Pre 1850 uniforms can bring thousands.

They do not buy any firearms, of any vintage. Its Canada after all.

XXX.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
LOL - I have a friend that collects nativity scenes. She has dozens. She always says she is saving them for her daughter.

I laugh and think about this - nobody wants your junk!

The thing also is that she is short of money, so why spend more on junk made in China???

Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 AM

5,584 posts, read 6,515,763 times
Back in 2011 when I was downsizing due to a major life change, I took my husband's maiden aunt's silverware box with the silverware that I had moved with because I couldn't bear to part with it (and she wasn't even MY aunt) to one of these traveling gold and silver buying companies at a local hotel. I got over $500.00 for it and don't even miss it or regret it. It was gone, one less thing to worry about.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:19 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
I went way overboard in buying Lionel Trains and other manufacturers. I'll probably have a auction place sell some of the least desirable sometime. I don't want to do all the work, hassel of eBay.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times
Times and tastes change. Lots of younger homeowners furnish their homes with Mid-Century Modern. No one wants Colonial or French Provincial, etc. It goes for peanuts nowadays.

Part of it is the size of new homes/condos....those old tall china closets, grandfather clocks, etc. won't fit in many newer sleeker homes.

When my FIL died, he had a houseful of good stuff....his wife and he decorated their colonial home in the 1960s and 1970s (he was 91 at death in 2016). Other than items his children wanted, most of the big things went to charities, a few items were auctioned but the prices were far lower than they would have been 20 years ago. The auctioneer (we see him on Antiques Roadshow) told us that is just the way it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement