Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times

Advertisements

2 sleepy, and Lilly Lilly Lilly.

The very night I take melatonin before i leave work will be the night I fall asleep at freewheel going home. No thsnk you.

Next even when I was retired for 12 years and could pick and choose my hours to sleep, so to speak, I slept erratically.

I have since I was a teen.

I doubt it will change. It hasn't in 54 years.

If I get up to use the facilities, the mere light of thE nightlight makes me wide awake. So I'm up for a couple hours before I can sleep again.

Always been that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Is HRT the creams my wife gets from a compounder? She's been on them for a couple of decades with no ill effects. Lucky?
You can get progesterone in a cream, but I don't know about estrogen. My medications were oral. Not everyone gets a particular side effect, and I'm sure many side effects are rare, but for me, it was a close call and I don't think it's worth the risk. I'll just live with the flashes and insomnia until it passes (8 years and counting!).

Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Label says Estra and Estriol of different amounts. Research says it's Estrogen.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You can get progesterone in a cream, but I don't know about estrogen. My medications were oral. Not everyone gets a particular side effect, and I'm sure many side effects are rare, but for me, it was a close call and I don't think it's worth the risk. I'll just live with the flashes and insomnia until it passes (8 years and counting!).
I don't think there's any right answer about HRT. There are risks, there are benefits. They can come in creams, capsules, or a liquid. They used to be prescribed as two hormones taken together (estrogen, progesterone), but now doctors seem to be pushing estrogen only, which some people consider dangerous. A pharmacist told me that the Pharma industry is currently pushing a double-estrogen product ("bi-est"), but she, herself, considers estrogen therapy to be dangerous. (All the women in her family have died from estrogen HRT; she's the only one left standing, and she's only used progesterone for her sleep and anxiety issues.)

It's something every patient has to decide for themselves, in consultation with their doctor. If there's any family history of adverse effects, that should be factored into the decision. The thing is, the parental generation didn't have the "new" bio-identical hormones, from plant sources; they had the horse-urine-based hormones, that were proven in a study to be too high-risk for cancer. So prior family history might not be a clear indication regarding these new products.

What is it with humans and sleep? Has anyone ever heard of animals having insomnia?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:11 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
2 sleepy, and Lilly Lilly Lilly.
The very night I take melatonin before i leave work will be the night I fall asleep at freewheel going home. No thsnk you.
Next even when I was retired for 12 years and could pick and choose my hours to sleep, so to speak, I slept erratically.
I have since I was a teen.
I doubt it will change. It hasn't in 54 years.
If I get up to use the facilities, the mere light of thE nightlight makes me wide awake. So I'm up for a couple hours before I can sleep again.
lways been that way.
yep...I have a wireless phone charger next to my bed, I had to put tape over the tiny red light on it because it kept me awake. Last night, I guess due to cumulative exhaustion I fell asleep at around 11pm and woke up at 4am with my hand virtually paralyzed, I seem to have fallen asleep with my hand under my head /cry

Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yep...I have a wireless phone charger next to my bed, I had to put tape over the tiny red light on it because it kept me awake. Last night, I guess due to cumulative exhaustion I fell asleep at around 11pm and woke up at 4am with my hand virtually paralyzed, I seem to have fallen asleep with my hand under my head /cry

I finally found a bedside clock without a back light because that was keeping me awake. Weird but true. I thought I was the only one.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What is it with humans and sleep? Has anyone ever heard of animals having insomnia?
It's the blessing/curse of having an advanced, self-aware brain that can not only remember the past but create/project scenarios of the future in such great detail.

In the animal kingdom, maybe some of the large apes may be come closest to having "sleep issues." I wonder if it's ever been studied (but then again, how could researchers know? and an ape in captivity is going to behave differently than one in the wild.)

Old 08-08-2018, 08:05 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
It's the blessing/curse of having an advanced, self-aware brain that can not only remember the past but create/project scenarios of the future in such great detail.

In the animal kingdom, maybe some of the large apes may be come closest to having "sleep issues." I wonder if it's ever been studied (but then again, how could researchers know? and an ape in captivity is going to behave differently than one in the wild.)
This sounds like a question for Jane Goodall. She's still around, alive and kicking.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Yes, but does she sleep at night?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I am positive my use of HRT after menopause contributed to (if not caused ) my breast cancer. ugh

Has anyone had any relief by buying a new mattress? Mine is not that old, but I am thinking it might help me if I tried a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement