Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

There are many older folks who want to downsize and get rid of the work that goes with their homes.
There are also older folks who do not want to go into an independent living home.

there are many older retired folks who would be so happy renting an apartment, however, there are a few things that apartments do not do and that is to consider mildly handicapped persons of which I'm rather surprised at.

Why not put stall showers in apartments and move up in the world, by getting rid of the older low toilets, and install the high rise toilets? They are not more expensive, for sure....

Our country wants to be so diverse and says it takes pride in doing so, well from time to time, accidents happen and a person needs to have a first floor apartment with a stall shower at least?

I'm wondering why more apartment complexes do not cater to older people? Not rest homes, but there are older folks who would prefer an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There are many older folks who want to downsize and get rid of the work that goes with their homes.
There are also older folks who do not want to go into an independent living home.

there are many older retired folks who would be so happy renting an apartment, however, there are a few things that apartments do not do and that is to consider mildly handicapped persons of which I'm rather surprised at.

Why not put stall showers in apartments and move up in the world, by getting rid of the older low toilets, and install the high rise toilets? They are not more expensive, for sure....

Our country wants to be so diverse and says it takes pride in doing so, well from time to time, accidents happen and a person needs to have a first floor apartment with a stall shower at least?

I'm wondering why more apartment complexes do not cater to older people? Not rest homes, but there are older folks who would prefer an apartment.
I think it is because most older people are not disabled and do not need these accommodations. Years ago I accidentally installled a high rise toilet. It was awful and got it replaced with a lower toilet.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 AM

well believe it or not, I've even had young girls say, they'd prefer the higher toilets, and "what are we in the dark ages still"? They say while discussing at work...there are a lot of people who would rather have them....the older lower toilets are outdated and old fashioned anyway. And if your building a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment, why not put a stall shower in one? And we are not disabled....but a lot of people out there do have joint problems.....

Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 AM

1,204 posts, read 934,240 times
Maybe they don’t t want to attract older people, fearing slips and falls and lawsuits, or kitchen accidents causing fires? Or just a belief that older people will require more help, and time is money. Not saying it’s a valid concern, just trying to respond to your question by imagining what a management company might think. And I so agree with you about high toilets. We have had them for several years. The low ones feel uncomfortable now when I’m using a public facility.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well believe it or not, I've even had young girls say, they'd prefer the higher toilets, and "what are we in the dark ages still"? They say while discussing at work...there are a lot of people who would rather have them....the older lower toilets are outdated and old fashioned anyway. And if your building a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment, why not put a stall shower in one? And we are not disabled....but a lot of people out there do have joint problems.....
I’m curious, where do you live? In CA high toilets are regarded handicap toilets. So my plumber told me when he replaced my high rise toilet. Most people would prefer that their feet touch the ground while on the throne.
But to each their own

(What I like about this forum we can discuss anything, including toilets )

Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’m curious, where do you live? In CA high toilets are regarded handicap toilets. So my plumber told me when he replaced my high rise toilet. Most people would prefer that their feet touch the ground while on the throne.
But to each their own

(What I like about this forum we can discuss anything, including toilets )
um, I own one high rise and my feet do touch the ground....?

I don't know anyone whose feet do not touch the ground unless your under 4 feet? And I do know many people who would rather use the high rise toilets...so? And I'm going to say this one more time, I'm not handicapped, I do however, have joint problems. So we agree to disagree.....

and why not discuss toilets....it is a human function....no?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,266 times
There are Senior Apartments available in most large metro areas. Not a large number of them, but they are out there. There are also Senior condos available. The only restriction is you have to be a minimum age.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
There are Senior Apartments available in most large metro areas. Not a large number of them, but they are out there. There are also Senior condos available. The only restriction is you have to be a minimum age.
That isn't my point....I know there are apartments for seniors, however, they don't make it easier for seniors who have joint problems....and have to climb over a tub to take a shower? They need to start Accommodating older folks, who are not yet ready for a retirement home. This country always wants to brag about how diverse they are, well what about older folks and folks who have accidents, or have MS, but are able to function on their own?
People who do not want to give up their independence, and still wish to live in an apartment....

It's time we upgrade Amercia, we accommodate every one but our older folks and veterans? Why?

Everyone is going to get old, seems to me, to design apartments with a few changes to accommodate this wouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
I wonder why grab bars aren't required everywhere! Anyone can slip on a wet floor or in the shower. You'd think hotels would have them, just to avoid lawsuits. Then having slippery shower floors on top of that.

As for high toilets---the word is that they are not as "healthy"---putting one in an unnatural position for evacuation. But for those of us who can't really squat, higher ones are nice. You can just get the temporary ones if you need them. I am trying to wait as long as possible for that.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wonder why grab bars aren't required everywhere! Anyone can slip on a wet floor or in the shower. You'd think hotels would have them, just to avoid lawsuits. Then having slippery shower floors on top of that.

As for high toilets---the word is that they are not as "healthy"---putting one in an unnatural position for evacuation. But for those of us who can't really squat, higher ones are nice. You can just get the temporary ones if you need them. I am trying to wait as long as possible for that.
I agree with the grab bars...never really thought about that...but yes, there are a few apartments that are putting in stand/stall showers, but not many.

As far as the toilets are concerned, there have been many studies, and everyone seems to have their own opinion on it, but so so many woman at work wish they would install them, everyone gets stiff now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement