Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:48 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times

Advertisements

My mother thought eating cherries and then drinking milk would make a person sick. I was questioning that one by the time I was about 10. That was one old wives tale we were never able to make her see reason about
O googled it one day and it turned out that cherries and milk were the last thing that one of the presidents had before he died. It wasn't what killed him, but it was blamed on that it the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I used to cross my eyes pretty well but mom told me that they would get stuck cross-eyed at some point so I never did that again.
I never could figure out why parents would even care if kids did that! So what? - they can't keep it up for long and they'll get tired.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
If you don't wait 30 minutes after eating before going swimming you could get a cramp and drowned.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
The usual: Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, ghosts, gobblins and vampires, and the tooth fairy.

I also got the "eyes un the back of my head" routine.

Hee hee, this is a bit naughty, but the biggest lie my mother told me ( when i was 10 and prepubescent) that "sex was something ONLY between an adult married couple, only if they want to have a baby, never on sunday, only in the bedroom with the shades drawn and curtains closed, and only after midnight in the dark".

You can imagine my surprise it also worked for those teens who were unmarried, without wanting a baby, on Sunday , outside in broad daylight in the afternoon at the age of 13!!!

Ah, the good old days of growing up and losing ones innocence.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:18 PM

159 posts, read 136,783 times
My grandmother kept me several times a week, and she liked to bake. I was allowed to help, and lick the bowl, and make my own special tiny rye bread or pie or whatever.
She told me that she knew a little girl who put her hand in the stand mixer, and It Cut Her Hand Right Off! And she lived the whole rest of her life without one hand.
I had questions. What was her name? Why did she do that? How old was she? How did she write?
Grandmother answered them all.
Man, I was about 35 years old when I thought back on that and realized that she made all that up!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Eat your carrots, they are good for your eyes. There were others too. Too bad they didn't tell me how bad sugars/carbs were....

My eyes are good for my years and so the carrots may have given me a good foundation.,

Then Mom would tell me eat your fish, you'll get more brains.

Those old folks were not dummies.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-04-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Just thought of some more:

Chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

Eating raw meat will give you worms.

Drinking coffee too young will stunt your growth.

Don't cry like that or your face will freeze in that position.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
These posts are hilarious!

One incident forever ingrained in my mind did not involve a parent but my best childhood friend when I was about 8. She was a jolly girl, mischievous and lots of fun; I was fun too but gullible and not worldly at all. One day we were just kicking and wading through the puddles when she suddenly stopped, looked straight at me and asked if I knew what she wanted to be when she grew up. I said no and then she told me not to tell anyone but she was going to be a prostitute. I became very serious, stared at her with great admiration then just hugged her and said, “Oh, Joanne, I am SO happy for you, will you be going to a convent?” In my innocence, I had wrongfully assumed she was going to be a protestant, a word I had only heard and wasn't sure of the meaning but knew it must be a good thing and that my best friend was going to be a nun. You should have seen the look on my mom's face when I ran home to repeat the story.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:00 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Implied, but not stated directly: You can trust the knowledge, integrity and honesty of a man who is well-dressed and groomed.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
These posts are hilarious!

One incident forever ingrained in my mind did not involve a parent but my best childhood friend when I was about 8. She was a jolly girl, mischievous and lots of fun; I was fun too but gullible and not worldly at all. One day we were just kicking and wading through the puddles when she suddenly stopped, looked straight at me and asked if I knew what she wanted to be when she grew up. I said no and then she told me not to tell anyone but she was going to be a prostitute. I became very serious, stared at her with great admiration then just hugged her and said, “Oh, Joanne, I am SO happy for you, will you be going to a convent?” In my innocence, I had wrongfully assumed she was going to be a protestant, a word I had only heard and wasn't sure of the meaning but knew it must be a good thing and that my best friend was going to be a nun. You should have seen the look on my mom's face when I ran home to repeat the story.
Funny!

Speaking of gullible friends ....
The neighbor girl and I were friends by default because we lived out in the boonies and were the only girls and the boys certainly didn't want to have anything to do with us including (especially) our brothers. So we were sort of stuck with each other.

We spent a lot of time looking for hidden treasure, secret panels, knocking on walls to reveal concealed hiding places and secret doors (Looking back that was hilarious because the houses we lived in were about 2 years old, small houses not mansions at all.)

Anyway we were focused on finding secret hidden treasure. One day i made a fake old timey treasure map by wrinkling up a piece of paper smearing it with a bit of dirt to make it look real and Browning the edges in a candle flame. (My brother whose secret was making fires in his bedroom trash can always had a stash of matches.)

Then i took a flimsy thin cardboard box and put in it some rinky dink cheap plastic colored beads and a few pennies and a dime. And i buried it about 1 inh deep in the ditch next to the driveway. A few minutes later my friend came over and I showed her the treasure map and helped her decipher where it led us too and she got the shovel and started digging and found the loot.

Now at this point for sure I thought she'd figure out the joke i had played on her because to my thinking she would notice the already shredding cardboard and know it could not last long in wet dirt, and good detectives that we were she would see the date on the coins was the current year we were in (1967 we were 8 years old). So it could not be ancient treasure.

Well.....she didn't notice either of these clues she was convinced it was real . Which ruined the joke because then I felt bad she believed it and if I pointed it out i worried she would look dumb and I felt bad all atound. So I said well at least the map was real somebody must have got here 100 years ago and took the real jewels and gold coins already. She believed that too and I didn't play any more tricks on her. I decided she wouldn't make a very good detective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement