Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:47 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Forty years ago, many boomers were just starting out in their careers and were in their early 20's. In 1978, 401k's came into being and boomers and others in the workforce at the time were told a 401k would be "one spoke on the stool" of a person's retirement.

Unfortunately, it was too easy to do a hardship withdrawal from a 401k, leaving some who did that with less than they might have had otherwise in their future retirement.

Traditional IRA's started in 1974 as well. Roth IRA's came in 1997. I opened a Roth IRA in 2008 and should have done it earlier. If millennials would consistently fund either type of IRA from their 20's, and not dip into them before retirement, they would be in a better position when facing retirement down the road. I'm glad I opened a Roth IRA, but I did it at age 50 so mine won't be as well funded as it could have been. So that's on me. The point is don't forget to fund an IRA in your 20's! But I get how millennials think as my niece looked at me like I was from Mars when I tried to explain that to her!
You're off on an investment advice tangent. None of that is relevant to the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Mitch McConnell and the Repubs want to end all entitlements. So Millenials will be lucky if they get Social Security or any social programs at all. If any of you want Social Security in the future, better vote Dem!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Mitch McConnell and the Repubs want to end all entitlements. So Millenials will be lucky if they get Social Security or any social programs at all. If any of you want Social Security in the future, better vote Dem!
That is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. I'm tired of hearing this lie repeated over and over. I didn't hear any Republican running on a get rid of SS platform.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:39 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
nonsense !!!!!1

Old 11-24-2018, 11:39 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
You got the name wrong, it was Ryan, but he is retiring in January, not Mitch McConnell. But I think this post belongs to the political section. Shame on you for posting it here.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
If they ultimately cut this program, and working people no longer have Social Security payments deducted from their paycheck, there is detailed information on every one of us on how much our contributions were over our working life. Cut me the check and I'm good (I factor in my pension and my 401K savings in this decision) I cannot collect for another 10 years, and 2028 sounds like an important year in the calculus and lifespan of the program.

And quit calling it an "entitlement", I've paid into this program for over thirty years, and counting.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:22 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. I'm tired of hearing this lie repeated over and over. I didn't hear any Republican running on a get rid of SS platform.
No, what they do is keep pushing the age to collect higher, partial payments if taken "early", etc. No politician will ever "get rid of SS", what they will do is inflate it away until pretty soon all you can buy is a can of soda with it.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:24 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
A professional couple can see 80k today if they delay and that gets inflation adjusted as it is delayed .

Old 11-24-2018, 02:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If they ultimately cut this program, and working people no longer have Social Security payments deducted from their paycheck, there is detailed information on every one of us on how much our contributions were over our working life. Cut me the check and I'm good (I factor in my pension and my 401K savings in this decision) I cannot collect for another 10 years, and 2028 sounds like an important year in the calculus and lifespan of the program.

And quit calling it an "entitlement", I've paid into this program for over thirty years, and counting.
If you dont want to be a dirt farmer slaving away until you die the far right refer to any thing nice that someone wants as an "entitlement". I am sure there are entitled people but I have never met them. Wanting adequate pay for work performed and opportunity for GOOD work is now being labeled as "entitlement".

Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
...I've never seen Easy Rider and don't care to see it, since I don't like Jack Nicholson or Peter Fonda, and the reality is the only decent movies that came out of the 1960s was Planet of the Apes, Dr Strangelove and Guns of Navarone, although I do like Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music.
Thanks so much for this cogent response.

I saw Easy Rider when it came out, have loathed Jack Nicholson ever since he was nasty to the waitress (and I was waitressing at the time, as was my mother) and keep looking for other people who find his smarmy presence in films insufferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement