Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
No, what they do is keep pushing the age to collect higher, partial payments if taken "early", etc. No politician will ever "get rid of SS", what they will do is inflate it away until pretty soon all you can buy is a can of soda with it.

You're just propagating a different lie. Way too many people have nothing but SS for their retirement. Yes, there will be a push for higher SS taxes, removing the income cap and raising the FRA by a few years. But SS is not going away and no politician is going to get anywhere trying to eliminate it or drastically reduce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:48 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You're just propagating a different lie. Way too many people have nothing but SS for their retirement. Yes, there will be a push for higher SS taxes, removing the income cap and raising the FRA by a few years. But SS is not going away and no politician is going to get anywhere trying to eliminate it or drastically reduce it.
Thats because pensions have evaporated and 401k match is almost non-existant, wages are stagnant or on a slight decline. These things wont come without political blow back at some juncture.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Thats because pensions have evaporated and 401k match is almost non-existant, wages are stagnant or on a slight decline. These things wont come without political blow back at some juncture.
You complain about not having 401k match, for years my husband and I considered ourselves lucky to work some place that offers 401k, let alone match. My daughter’s own a small business and it offers nothing. She can only contribute to Roth IRA.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
You know it’s propanda when they mention the word soda. SS can buy lots of soda, if that’s your diet.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Today the way more opportunity to ear way more money than back in the day. The real is is financial education.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Today the way more opportunity to ear way more money than back in the day. The real is is financial education.
Huh?

Old 11-25-2018, 01:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Huh?
I second that.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 AM

33 posts, read 14,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's sad really that so many people are so incredibly ignorant of how Social Security actually works.

Nobody ever robbed anyone of anything. Ever.

You don't have to rely on 3rd Party web-sites, you can go to SSA's web-site and learn everything you need to know, so why don't you do that?
I must have struck a nerve, good! That’s nice to assume I have not been on the gov website. I have been on it and have seen how much I have paid into it when I’m the long run I most likely will not receive it back! Had I placed that money in other investments, I could have made money.

Am I mandated to pay into SS? What are the consequences if I do not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
i hate to say this, but you really haven't learned anything reading all these posts.
Once again, another person assuming I have not learned anything. I’ve learned quite a lot thank you and will continue to do so! And I find it contradicting when someone says, I hate to say this But.... - you clearly enjoyed the post or you would not have made it!

Old 11-27-2018, 03:30 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringmind33 View Post
I must have struck a nerve, good! That’s nice to assume I have not been on the gov website. I have been on it and have seen how much I have paid into it when I’m the long run I most likely will not receive it back! Had I placed that money in other investments, I could have made money.

Am I mandated to pay into SS? What are the consequences if I do not?

Once again, another person assuming I have not learned anything. I’ve learned quite a lot thank you and will continue to do so! And I find it contradicting when someone says, I hate to say this But.... - you clearly enjoyed the post or you would not have made it!
the consequences ? avoiding paying fica taxes carries penalties and interest levied by the irs ...

Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 AM

33 posts, read 14,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If they ultimately cut this program, and working people no longer have Social Security payments deducted from their paycheck, there is detailed information on every one of us on how much our contributions were over our working life. Cut me the check and I'm good (I factor in my pension and my 401K savings in this decision) I cannot collect for another 10 years, and 2028 sounds like an important year in the calculus and lifespan of the program.

And quit calling it an "entitlement", I've paid into this program for over thirty years, and counting.
This is what I would suggest, just end the program, cut the checks to those who paid into it and call it a day. The waste and fraud would be no more, taxs do not increase, the people dont have to pay for more government employees to run the program... lots of savings to be had for the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement