Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Amazing how many don't read the original thread question.

they just respond the way they choose... but it has nothing to do with OP's question.
I see the problem here I think. The title asks "How many of you that retired will have Thanksgiving alone or just with a spouse?"

But the bolded last sentence of the thread says,

"What plans do you have and do you have a big traditional meal?"

So maybe people interrupted these as two separate questions that could be answered differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Just the wife and I, the kids are at the farthest corner of the country. The grandkids are in a different corner of the country.

I don't do well with turkey, so we will do something that works.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
I just relocated and am having "issues" with the apartment complex I moved into--Thanksgiving isn't even on my radar....

Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
As said in another thread, I'll have a mini Thanksgiving here alone. I've had plenty of years with family and/or friends, this is just another way of being. As a loner, it's not unusual for me and I enjoy being alone.

I'll plan to have my grandmother's recipe of dressing, my favorite, some sweet potatoes, a green vegetable and maybe a turkey meatloaf, if I get around to it.

Will be a quiet day, music, cooking, reading, hanging with the 3 felines...
Gbh, not to be a fear monger, but check your ground turkey if you’re making that meatloaf. I’m sure you’ve seen about the huge recall of Jennie-O ground turkey.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 PM

705 posts, read 562,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I wish a mod would delete my post, I feel bad for having said anything in this thread.
Oh please don't! I truly enjoy reading about everyone's plans and everyone is welcome to share who they'll be with, if they are alone or just with a SO or spouse. If anyone should feel bad, it should be me for asking the question. I had no idea it would cause ill feelings, I just thought it'd be nice to see what everyone had planned. I'm sorry I made you feel bad.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I do think about the first Thanksgiving I will spend alone, 6ft under the old maple tree...

Burrrrr.... sounds kinda cold.

I better enjoy this season (if I hang on another week), stuff happens, would not surprise me in the least. Getting REAL ready, but definitely want another Turkey Dinner (if possible).

Sympathies to those among us who are painfully suffering their first Thanksgiving without their favorite person. It is real. I lost 5 friends in 5 weeks, and started calling old friends to catch up and found several who are now on their own. One cried and cried, and said they had been doing so for nearly a year. This will be the first W/O..S.O,

Take care of those who you can.

As a family, we tried to spend Thanksgiving assisting in Homeless shelters or nursing homes. But they often have plenty of volunteers on those days.

Be a friend, appreciate your friends. They are getting fewer.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Oh please don't! I truly enjoy reading about everyone's plans and everyone is welcome to share who they'll be with, if they are alone or just with a SO or spouse. If anyone should feel bad, it should be me for asking the question. I had no idea it would cause ill feelings, I just thought it'd be nice to see what everyone had planned. I'm sorry I made you feel bad.
You didn't make them feel bad any more than you made me feel bad. It's a reaction to what might be termed a Thread Nazi. One who irrationally gets upset if a thread does not follow their narrow version of "The Subject" of a thread.

It really gets old.

You're fine.

I have the attitude that when I start a thread it can go wherever it wants and I let it. Some of the most interesting threads I've started and been involved in go off on tangents.

It makes them more interesting.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Don't feel bad at all! It's a great topic and the nit pickers need to just knock it off.

I will be alone on Turkey Day. Lost my life companion last spring but we had adjusted years ago to no longer going to a huge family gathering where they ate at 1pm. Never missed that.

So it's me and my 2 dogs and I am laying out a quick feast of sliced turkey, dressing, mashed taters, cranberry something, yams with marshmallows, sweet peas, rolls,punkin pie, and whipped topping. Ought to be enough to last through Saturday.

I watch the parade and drink coffee then watch Christmas movies and football. Graze all day. I invited a few older friends but all declined. I really prefer to be alone anyway. Well, me and my mutts.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 AM

21,545 posts, read 8,727,966 times
It will be just Mr. Bay and me, as usual. We got invited to dinner at the home of the owner of an Italian restaurant where we've been regular customers for years. I thought that was a kind and generous offer, but we'd really rather spend it at home relaxing. Besides, the menu at Giuseppe's house is going to be steak. He's from Argentina and his wife is from Brazil, so I give him a pass. Turkey isn't part of their tradition. but come on - it isn't Thanksgiving without turkey! Besides, if we eat at someone else's house we won't have any leftovers. That's one of the things I am grateful for on Thanksgiving - not having to cook again for days afterward.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
This is my first year hosting Thanksgiving since 2006 or 2007. I'm not looking forward to it as my house is rather small. Thankfully the family is also, I will have about 10 people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement