Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

I am beginning to think that one of the major reasons for some of the varying opinions about retirement planning and success depends on how data driven we are or were required to be while employed.

Many in the forum had jobs that required them to develop measurable objectives with performance goals that could be measured. That for some either naturally or by habit transferred into their retirement planning and resulting evaluation of their retirement.

For others not at all and for some even if required for work they rejected for their personal lives.

We now in the forum find folks disagreeing and in some cases feeling put down by some of the viewpoints presented.

Many of us will continue to measure our retirement and the success of our PLANNING by our previously stated and planned for goals and objectives. Others not with a ten foot pole.

All is ok and all can be happy. Happiness is not as easy to quantify and measure as income and other things a numerical measurement can be attached to.

Even my wording of this thread starter is done in a performance measured language. It is hard to talk about and not use the language.

So hopefully we can all realize that we are wired differently and one persons stroke isn't a slap at another but just their way of measuring the success of their retirement planning. Just as with work having accomplished measurable goals doesn't mean you did or didn't enjoy the process.

Just because you didn't use measurable goals doesn't mean you didn't enjoy the process or outcomes.

It is in our individual hearts that we know our personal happiness with the outcomes whether they are measurable or not.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
I never thought about measuring success in retirement, just wanted to feel secure, and happy. So I guess that is the measurement that I have achieved. It is probably the difference that you described as being data driven, or not, or maybe even a difference in gender.

I do believe that some people are the glass half empty people, who will not see the positive. A few of those will always bring the conversation down. The best thing to do, after recent thread, for me is just not to engage them.

Mathjac often says that we end up living on what we have, or something to that effect. That is truth. We decide for ourselves whether to be happy or not. And we decide for ourselves if we have succeeded.

Thank you for this thread.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I never thought about measuring success in retirement, just wanted to feel secure, and happy. .........
You can also easily say that a great many people never thought about measuring or achieving success at any time in LIFE, they just wanted to feel secure and happy.....

As I understand the OP, others of us set goals and worked to achieve them. One approach is not necessarily any better than the other. In fact the goals we set are often personal if not arbitrary. Mine were largely inherited or if you prefer taught by my parents. They pushed the boy scout type objectives of service, honesty and good deeds while also adding learning, attempting to excel and achieve goals. My parents always urged my sister and I to do our best whatever we choose to do in life.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I never thought about measuring success in retirement, just wanted to feel secure, and happy. So I guess that is the measurement that I have achieved. It is probably the difference that you described as being data driven, or not, or maybe even a difference in gender.

I do believe that some people are the glass half empty people, who will not see the positive. A few of those will always bring the conversation down. The best thing to do, after recent thread, for me is just not to engage them.

Mathjac often says that we end up living on what we have, or something to that effect. That is truth. We decide for ourselves whether to be happy or not. And we decide for ourselves if we have succeeded.

Thank you for this thread.
I am currently sitting on the raised deck looking out into the woods watching the birds and squirrels at the feeders. It is warm sunny and a magnifent day. Is it a priceless moment yes with no need to quantify just to enjoy. Getting it all built is very data driven even while enjoying it isn’t.

Oh yeah and the relaxing music behind me doesn’t hurt!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I measure our retirement success by spending less time worrying about SWR, it can become boring by reading about people so obsessed with money, not saying you are, just different forums I’ve been reading. It’s not all about money, at least I hope I’ve done decent job of managing that part, but It’s about living and enjoying the next stage of life, the retirement life.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Sitting on the deck watching birds and squirrels reminds me of one of my major interests.... special places. In fact I have included the following on the back of all of my photography books: "Special places can be anywhere. They can be far or near, big or small, and even imaginary. Find those places which are special to you and they will nourish both body and soul."

I get a great deal of satisfaction in finding places that are special to me and in trying to capture what is special in my photographs and paintings.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Birds are my favorite but not squirrels. I would get my water gun out for them. They are thieves of my garden bounty.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 02-05-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I measure our retirement success by spending less time worrying about SWR, it can become boring by reading about people so obsessed with money, not saying you are, just different forums I’ve been reading. It’s not all about money, at least I hope I’ve done decent job of managing that part, but It’s about living and enjoying the next stage of life, the retirement life.
I am driven by money and make no bones about it. It is one of the easiest outcome measurements to capture and evaluate. I have five and ten year plans with annual reviews, evaluations and revisions. Just finished a major paradigm shift as a result. Planning to 94 is a shorter time frame and our ten year plan carries beyond 80. Eighty is a key year as it is a CCRC go or no go age. Obviously events can change that.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am currently sitting on the raised deck looking out into the woods watching the birds and squirrels at the feeders. It is warm sunny and a magnifent day. Is it a priceless moment yes with no need to quantify just to enjoy. Getting it all built is very data driven even while enjoying it isn’t.

Oh yeah and the relaxing music behind me doesn’t hurt!
The electricians just finished burying the cable to our river pump yesterday. So much more visually appealing than the orange cord interrupting the natural beauty. The day is also just gorgeous here. Enjoy,,

Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Birds are my favorite but not squirrels. I would get my water gun out for them. They are thieves of garden bounty.
I got a nerf gun last year and unloaded on them. What a mistake! Instead of nature being comfortable with us around they became afraid. Took awhile but the natural balance has been restored and there is harmony in the hood as they are our friends. Just buy extra food for them kick back and enjoy.
The big news today is that We think the Bluebird house has been rented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement