Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
So glad you were able to turn it around Willamette. We do have a lot in common!

I think talking about my work above in the thread suddenly gave me a burst of retirement joy, and it spilled all over my post.

I appreciate your comments on your work and how it affected your retirement. We have a lot in common. I spent 35 years in fish culture working at hatcheries in Oregon. The work itself was joy and I also had to manage a $1,000,000/year budget. I spent a lot of time analyzing our work, prioritizing spending, preparing yearly budgets that had to be submitted to the Army Corps of Engineers, our funding source. Parts of the job were not that good, but overall it was a very rewarding career. I retired in 2011, but I still keep in touch with people I worked with and pay attention to What Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is doing with this marvelous resource. I also love to fish and live 100 yards from a world class river with rainbow trout up to 3 lbs. I love my retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I agree. I'm in the planning stage so I'm all about the numbers. Once I do finally retire, I plan on changing my focus.
My work is unstable so I contingency plan for not working again. My current contract is up and I can’t point at my next thing. What I care about is knowing how much I can spend per year and not run out of money. Since I am career high income with a near-max Social Security check coming, I can ignore all the safe withdrawal rate stuff.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
This is why I plan to delay taking SS at 70, I don’t have to worry about SWR. I know Bogglehead now has a thread that 3% is now the recommended rate and not 4% for SWR. Sound like a headache for me, I’m glad I’m not constraint by that. I just want a simple plan that will work.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why I plan to delay taking SS at 70, I don’t have to worry about SWR. I know Bogglehead now has a thread that 3% is now the recommended rate and not 4% for SWR. Sound like a headache for me, I’m glad I’m not constraint by that. I just want a simple plan that will work.
Swedroe makes some great points. Unfortunately if in a workplace portfolio account RMD’s and fees could wreck havoc with a 3% drawdown.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
very nice music room! Mine is significantly smaller, about 14' X 16', but it's really well insulated with 16" walls crammed with sound deadening insulation and when I was playing in bands we would practice in there all the time. Never had any complaints from neighbors. In fact some evenings we would leave the door open and never heard a peep.

We had a drummer that I characterized as a "Cro-magnon" drummer. He was very loud! Sometimes we made him use brushes tied together. Rick was a big guy, about 6' 2" and 280. Unfortunately he developed pancreatic cancer and we lost him in 2015. I will always cherish his memory, although we had disagreements at times about songs to play. Our band was called Backfire. Our other guitar player ran a private fire fighting company, hence the name.
I'm reliving those memories right now!

I do have quite a bit of equipment in there. A 16 channel powered mixer, 2 400 watt PA speakers, an 8 track digital recorder, an organ, my wife's bass rig, my rig and so on. I'm not interested in forming a band right now, but maybe someday!
Sorry to hear about your drummer. Don't worry about the disagreements; that happens in every band.
I hate to hear about musicians passing. I know lots of people, but very few musicians anymore. When I was younger, they were everywhere, but now, except for those that want to learn an instrument, I don't know any. I had a good inkling about where we are slowly preparing our new barn to move into, though. In the ACE hardware store of my future small town, there was a large display of 'Slinky' strings. Whaaaa...t? When I asked about them, the store clerk said they were big sellers.
Looks promising...

Old 02-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Good morning Greg! I need to go down to the local hardware store and ask them when they are going to stock guitar strings. I have to drive 90 miles round trip to get strings. And I'm always tempted to try out different guitars and pedals. It's a Guitar Center so they are loaded with everything a musician could ever need. Here's a little joke for you. It's 28 F right now, the coldest day of the year. Whats been the coldest temp for you?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Haha! Love that 'Joke'!

Worst standing temperature was -16F, with a wind-chill of somewhere around -27. It warmed up almost 64 degrees in 4 days....funny enough, it was warmer where we are going up north than it was here. Below us by 15 miles it was -47F (wind-chill).

Guitar Center is a disaster for me. My wife and I have a pact; if we go to one anymore, I have to be blindfolded, wearing noise cancelling headphones...AND I CAN'T TAKE A WALLET.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My work is unstable so I contingency plan for not working again. My current contract is up and I can’t point at my next thing. What I care about is knowing how much I can spend per year and not run out of money. Since I am career high income with a near-max Social Security check coming, I can ignore all the safe withdrawal rate stuff.
Yeah, I ignore all the SWR stuff.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:52 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why I plan to delay taking SS at 70, I don’t have to worry about SWR. I know Boglehead now has a thread that 3% is now the recommended rate and not 4% for SWR. Sound like a headache for me, I’m glad I’m not constrained by that. I just want a simple plan that will work.
This is what drives me crazy. "They" tell you that 4% is a safe withdrawal rate and then when the market tanks they get conservative. During the financial meltdown, some gurus were pushing 2%. Umm, yeah, I'm 55 but I'll just ramp up my savings so I can cut my withdrawal rate in half...

One measure I read about here is to restrict your withdrawals in a year to a 70/30 weighted average of (withdrawal rate X assets at beginning of year) and (withdrawal rate X assets at retirement increase for inflation). I'm using 3.5% but my withdrawals are below that. I also monitor the growth in invested assets since I retired nearly 5 years ago; it averages 2.5%/year after withdrawals, which reassure me it's sustainable.

I think that people get into trouble when they MUST withdraw a certain $ amount every year to meet basic needs and in down markets it ends up being something greater than 4% of assets. A few years of that can sink your plans. I've got a lot of discretionary spending and giving that I could cut back if things got bad, and a steady income from SS and a couple of small non-COLA pensions to cover the necessities.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, I ignore all the SWR stuff.

Dumb question. What does SWR mean other then standing wave ratio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement