Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
No her first comment was before mine. Why else would I have posted mine. And her posts were pointedly towards what Tuborg said. No reference to my posts at all.

And I do believe everyone is different, but to continue to be negative is uncalled for.
Bella and Fun. Let it go. This is how threads get sidetracked and eventually closed. You are both good people and any comments by folks are really to my thinking not of any personal consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
AHS? American Horror Story? I did not see any horror story in cb2008 post. She just expressed her POV that happiness and satisfaction can not be measured.

I only agree partially with her post that one can not always quantify happiness and satisfaction.

What I don't agree is the somewhat didactic statement that We are all different. I have seen people truly relish the process of measurement. For example, my attorney sister who makes $300K a year always get a big kick out of getting bargain items from garage/estate sale ;-)

I also don't read the OP as 'gloating'. I agree with his observation that some people are data driven and others are driven by other factors like emotion and feeling.

Being a scientist and engineer, I am also very data driven. It is in my nature, training and profession to analyze everything with decisions typically made based on spreadsheet analysis. However, I am not always a stickler for data/statistics and do rely on my emotion or gut-feeling when it comes to important life decisions.

The last time that I prepared a financial analysis spreadsheet was 3 years ago when I decided to take the buyout. I used to monitor and track my investment (using morningstar portfolio) monthly but reduced the review/analysis to once a year (at the end of the year) to decide what tax saving action to take.

Sometimes, certain important or significant event in your life can completely change your life outlook and habit. For me, it was when we learned that our only daughter had breast cancer in October 2017. This bad news started a chain of actions in our life. We made the huge decision of moving from NY to ID to be close to her. I have not reviewed our portfolios since then. The fact that our beloved daughter could be gone before us totally changes my attitude about money, saving, investment etc. I find myself much freer to spend money on things which enhance our life, to create life memories. We spent a lot of money last year and sold some of our mutual funds shares (the first time in 40 years + of investments) to upgrade the old home (it was money well spent, the house had several offers in the first 3 days). We also bought some additional high quality furniture and garden/yard tools. I finally splurged and bought high quality linens/rugs/towels etc to replace the old ones which we donated to charities. I have no ideas what was our withdrawal rate last year and would not careless about the so-call SWR!

So, I can proudly state that I am no longer a data-driven retiree. The move to Idaho turned out to be very successful. I wake up everyday looking out at the beautiful scenery outside of 3/4 rooms of the house and count my blessing. We tremendously enjoy being close to our daughter. We see her every week (picking up and returning the grand puppies - we babysit them 2-3 days a week, staying the night at her house in Boise to attend concerts/events there or they come to our 'ranch' for a weekend R&R).

Yes, we are living 'for the moment'. Our 'life insurance' is the knowledge that we are resilient and can adjust our living standard to whatever required levels.

So, I agree with cb2008 that sometimes happiness and satisfaction can not be measured especially in terms of dollars and cents. However, I also agree with the sentiments expressed by other posters that 'money buy choices'.
A heartwarming story. In your place with your daughter I would do the exact same thing. Glad for you that it has all worked out so well.
As for data driven I am an accountant by training and I maintain our financial investments. I am also a novelist and gave up my job to become a writer. Not much money in it. So there you go. My husband is an engineer and while he is good with numbers he simply cannot get himself into the discipline of analyzing our cash flow or asset allocation theories. So I do it and I am good at it. And yes, I understand about money and choices, and I also understand that I am speaking from a position of privilage.
Not everyone has that privilege, and what choices they have may be limited or even none. I fail to see why that is so hard to understand.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am beginning to think that one of the major reasons for some of the varying opinions about retirement planning and success depends on how data driven we are or were required to be while employed.
Don't focus on winning the race.
Focus on what comes after you stop running.

Worked since 12 years of age.
Early retirement age 55.
Home,medical,pension.Comfortable.
Pay my bills on time. Everything else done on my time.
Vocation: Back breaking ,knuckle busting blue collar working fool.
Always the slave to my job and employees.
Missed watching my real family grow older as I worked so my boss could be with his.
Body damaged some healing returned. My youth now replaced by worn jeans and work shoes.
Some habits are hard to break.
Attended funerals for those who gambled sticking around to full pension and future golf outings.
Most who have retired don't return calls. I count only one or two whom I meet weekly in friendship.
Share myself with my wife,family and friends that are left. Laugh quite a bit.
Love my dog. Don't speak the same language but he hugs me alot.
I am truly blessed.

If I ever had to do it all over again. I couldn't. I'd be to damned tired................

Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

I am truly blessed.

If I ever had to do it all over again. I couldn't. I'd be to damned tired................
Best quote ever. Thank you for sharing this. Gives a little balance to this thread.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Bella and Fun. Let it go. This is how threads get sidetracked and eventually closed. You are both good people and any comments by folks are really to my thinking not of any personal consequence.
So exactly what was the purpose of this thread that got sidetracked?

Quote:
but just their way of measuring the success of their retirement planning.
Is it a pitch for

"Successful Retirement Planning!
Look How Rich I am! How HAPPY!
You Can Be TOO!"

Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Best quote ever. Thank you for sharing this. Gives a little balance to this thread.
May God Bless in more ways than one.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is it a pitch for

"Successful Retirement Planning!
Look How Rich I am! How HAPPY!
You Can Be TOO!"
Point to one post where anyone mentioned being rich? Successful planning means different things to different people. Life happens, plans change. The actual PLANNING can be successful irrespective of final metrics.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Worked since 12 years of age.
Early retirement age 55.
Home,medical,pension.Comfortable.
Pay my bills on time. Everything else done on my time.
Vocation: Back breaking ,knuckle busting blue collar working fool.
Always the slave to my job and employees.
Missed watching my real family grow older as I worked so my boss could be with his.
Body damaged some healing returned. My youth now replaced by worn jeans and work shoes.
Some habits are hard to break.
Attended funerals for those who gambled sticking around to full pension and future golf outings.
Most who have retired don't return calls. I count only one or two whom I meet weekly in friendship.
Share myself with my wife,family and friends that are left. Laugh quite a bit.
I am truly blessed.

Not interested in ceasing to run. The race isn’t over as there are future stages. I could do as Bernstein says “Game Over” however that world has changed and the competition for quality space down the road is shaping up to be intense. Plus for me the running is easy and fun. The equivalent of being able to practice what you enjoy reading and learning about. Requires little time, math comes easy and things like weighing alternatives are natural after all these years.

As I have noted several times we are all wired differently and need to pursue life as we see fit.
So congrat on your path as it is obviously bringing you joy as ours is for us.

As I have learned seeing others pass sooner than expected while others live longer than expected. Life can become a bear if you live along enough and don’t prepare to live that long with a solid dose of happiness!

Last edited by TuborgP; 02-08-2019 at 07:08 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
All I wanted was my freedom. After 40 years working, it was time. I did wait until I could draw my SS as I knew it would take months for my federal retirement to be calculated (complex career).

Worked out perfectly.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Not interested in ceasing to run. The race isn’t over as there are future stages. I could do as Bernstein says “Game Over” however that world has changed and the competition for quality space down the road is shaping up to be intense. Plus for me the running is easy and fun. The equivalent of being able to practice what you enjoy reading and learning about. Requires little time, math comes easy and things like weighing alternatives are natural after all these years.

As I have noted several times we are all wired differently and need to pursue life as we see fit.
So congrat on your path as it is obviously bringing you joy as ours is for us.

As I have learned seeing others pass sooner than expected while others live longer than expected. Life can become a bear if you live along enough and don’t prepare to live that long with a solid dose of happiness!
We are still investing somewhat aggressively. So far it has payed off well. Trying to keep a cushion for unforeseen circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement