Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sitting on the deck watching birds and squirrels reminds me of one of my major interests.... special places. In fact I have included the following on the back of all of my photography books: "Special places can be anywhere. They can be far or near, big or small, and even imaginary. Find those places which are special to you and they will nourish both body and soul."

I get a great deal of satisfaction in finding places that are special to me and in trying to capture what is special in my photographs and paintings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Now that is a BADA BING! Note the cap’s
Noted. And?

I'm not a numbers person and math is a struggle. But a whole heck of a lot of "data" went into our retirement down here. The numbers dictated it, so we made it work.

The amount of data for immigration is staggering, and being out of my comfort zone getting/doing it was a stretch and stress for me. But I did it, and here we are.

It was not a lifelong ordeal, just in the year or two approaching retirement.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Before I retired I poured over my financial statements on a daily basis. It drove my wife crazy. I put money into a deferred compensation fund and watched that thing like a hawk. Our pension plus SS allowed us to have a comfortable retirement. I haven't touched the DCF since then and don't plan on dipping into it until my wife hits Medicare age. I do love watching the birds and taking nice long walks.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Before I retired I poured over my financial statements on a daily basis. It drove my wife crazy. I put money into a deferred compensation fund and watched that thing like a hawk. Our pension plus SS allowed us to have a comfortable retirement. I haven't touched the DCF since then and don't plan on dipping into it until my wife hits Medicare age. I do love watching the birds and taking nice long walks.
Exactly. Planning for retirement for me was intense, too. Retiring is not. I still look at our financials just to know where we are, but planning headaches are all in the rear-view mirror. The biggest stress in retirement so far is I have guitar students coming over in one hour, and I have to get today's lesson plan in order...

Old 02-05-2019, 01:00 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
I was in a scientific/ engineering business where I analyzed and measured things.

It left me with a sufficient appreciation of the uncertainties that I don't make elaborate projections or plans.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:09 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
While the consumption, analysis, and application of data are vital to any scenario, people can sometimes get caught up in overwhelming amounts of data - amounting to "analysis paralysis," where you're so keen on the analysis itself the underlying objective gets lost in the shuffle.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
While the consumption, analysis, and application of data are vital to any scenario, people can sometimes get caught up in overwhelming amounts of data - amounting to "analysis paralysis," where you're so keen on the analysis itself the underlying objective gets lost in the shuffle.
That’s the great part of retirement for us as we live and enjoy the outcomes daily.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Even though some claim they don't have goals or objectives (or measure things in those terms), most have reasons for doing things. Unless one simply wanders aimlessly through life, those reasons are goals/ objectives, even if they don't immediately seem quantifiable or measurable.

For example, I may play golf for the exercise or camaraderie, not the score, but, those are still goals/ objectives -- and if they are not met, I will likely stop playing. Similarly, one may enter retirement with the vague goal/objective of relaxing and enjoying life ... but, unless one achieves and maintains a basic financial income and reserve goal/objective, one is unlikely to achieve their retirement relaxation and enjoyment goals.

A basic characteristic of people (versus animals) is that people consider the future. In doing so, almost every action has some type of goal/objective attached to it. Throughout my career, goals and objectives -- and finding ways to quantifiably measure results, was a way of life. But, even though some may not establish or measure their own goals and objectives, someone does -- And that measurement (even if it's only measuring sufficient hours punched on a time clock) has a direct impact on the individual.

Similarly, in retirement, one may have no identifiable goals or objectives, but, one still gets out of bed in the morning, rather than simply lying there and thinking, "I have no reason to get up." In that sense, I believe everyone has reasons for doing things, which become their life goals/ objectives ... even though they may seem nebulous or non-quantifiable.
Agreed. While the end goal for some people is not amassing the largest amount of wealth possible, they usually have other goals, and processes they follow to get there. Drifting aimlessly with no goal is where you get into real trouble.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I was in a scientific/ engineering business where I analyzed and measured things.

It left me with a sufficient appreciation of the uncertainties that I don't make elaborate projections or plans.
Me neither, I did top down, and then bottom up. When the plans aren’t too diverge, I said good enough. I retired. So far so good. I was conservative in my estimate. That’s the key.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Exactly. Planning for retirement for me was intense, too. Retiring is not. I still look at our financials just to know where we are, but planning headaches are all in the rear-view mirror. The biggest stress in retirement so far is I have guitar students coming over in one hour, and I have to get today's lesson plan in order...

You have guitar students? I've taught a few people over the years, but it's not something I've ever really wanted to do. I'm not really a structured guitar player. I do look at chord charts and play a lot of acoustic guitar to ballads that I love. I also built a music studio before retiring and i love going in there and cranking up my electric, playing along with bands, whether it's blues, rock, even a little jazz from time to time. I love watching Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Robin Trower, Hendrix and others play. I can do Trower pretty well, but Steve Vai just mystifies me. My technique isn't great, but I play with a lot of emotion.
Playing music is a huge part of my retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement