Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Luckily neither the wife or I are interested in taking a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Luckily neither the wife or I are interested in taking a cruise.
Cruises aren't the only vacations where trip insurance can be important, though.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
We buy our trip insurance when we book.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
With all that food and drinking, do most people gain weight on cruises?
Well duh! Lot of people, certainly. But most of those people that eat like that, also gain weight at home, and on every other vacation. You can find a lot of them in Golden Corral, too.

But that is not true for every person that enjoys cruises. I have a very good friend that is a member of the RC Diamond Plus level in their C&A rewards program. That's a LOT of cruises. He is slim, healthy, fit. Always has been.

There is a guy at my gym that takes a 10 day cruise once a year. He is outrageously fit. Works out like a demon several times a week. He gains FIFTEEN pounds on that cruise, most every time. He laughs about it - says it is worth every pound. In about 3 weeks he is back to his normal weight.

You can cruise...as often as you like, and have a blast. And still stay fit and healthy. It's not the cruise - it's the person.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No most people don't gain weight on cruises. If they eat a lot, they might gain a couple pounds temporarily, but most people only cruise for about 7 days. How much weight can a person gain in 7 days? And when you return to your regular mode of eating, it will generally fall right off.
You would be shocked.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM

813 posts, read 403,010 times
I haven't read every page but I don't think this was posted. This senior whose medical insurance at home is a Medicare Advantage plan was on a cruise and in Thailand a few months ago. She ended up with a wrist injury needing immediate surgery and as a result missed her flight back to the USA. It was also a good thing she had travel insurance. See the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...a-solo-cruise/

Last edited by Rastafellow; 06-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
No, it hasn't been posted before and that's a great example of what can go wrong (and right) if you're injured in a foreign country. Because of medical tourism, which the post mentioned, Phuket has some superb medical facilities. And it was a good example of something that could happen to anybody on an excursion- not just on a cruise, not just outside the US and not just someone with pre-existing conditions. It's why I buy travel insurance and make sure that evacuation and all the additional expenses are covered- the medical portion is not enough.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Cruises aren't the only vacations where trip insurance can be important, though.
I slipped on some rocks on the Maine shore today. I caught myself before my rear hit the ground, but my wrist feels a little jammed up. An older or frail person doing that could have easily broken the wrist.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I slipped on some rocks on the Maine shore today. I caught myself before my rear hit the ground, but my wrist feels a little jammed up. An older or frail person doing that could have easily broken the wrist.
A few years ago I went on an astronomy tour to view the northern lights in Iceland. On our very first night of observing, a lady lost her footing and slipped on some volcanic cinders while coming down the slope of a low hill. She broker her right ankle badly, and spent the rest of the trip in the hospital in Reykjavik recovering from the orthopedic surgery needed to put her ankle back together. When she was discharged from the hospital, she had to fly back to the US in Business Class in order to accommodate the orthopedic boot immobilizing her right foot.

No matter where you are in the world, an accident is but a slip away! I'm glad yours didn't result in any serious damage.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A few years ago I went on an astronomy tour to view the northern lights in Iceland. On our very first night of observing, a lady lost her footing and slipped on some volcanic cinders while coming down the slope of a low hill. She broker her right ankle badly, and spent the rest of the trip in the hospital in Reykjavik recovering from the orthopedic surgery needed to put her ankle back together. When she was discharged from the hospital, she had to fly back to the US in Business Class in order to accommodate the orthopedic boot immobilizing her right foot.

No matter where you are in the world, an accident is but a slip away! I'm glad yours didn't result in any serious damage.
To a point, a younger person is more likely to be able to "take a hit." I'm very heavy on the bottom for a man. I've fallen a few times the last few years, mostly on ice, so quickly that my butt was on the ground before I knew what happened. I have a large amount of "padding" there, and have never even really gotten bruised.

I was kind of a sickly kid, but have never had any major injury or illness since I was 20 or so. I've never had a significant surgery. I've never been hospitalized for illness. Most people do not think I am 33 at all. I get mid-late 20s a lot. I don't have the physical miles on the odometer lots of folks have. Other than being heavier, I don't feel any different at 33 than I did at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement