Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out why I might have more of a response than "Yeah, whatever. Cheap SO- who can afford cruises whinging when something bad happens." I've no problem with people liking cruises, no problem with beating on insurance when appropriate, but this is a "Bless his little heart" finger violin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What does 60 have to do with it? I am 63, and went to Greece for 10 days last year. Hiked miles and miles every day. A cruise would be a piece of cake.
The older you are, the more likely you are to have a sudden, completely unexpected health disaster such as a heart attack or a stroke. Plus, the older you are, the older your parents are and the older your kids are. People forget that trip insurance isn't just covering medical emergencies that happen to them - it also covers the costs involved with having to rebook flights and cancel trip plans in order to get home ASAP because something dire has happened to a close relative.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
What does 60 have to do with it? I am 63, and went to Greece for 10 days last year. Hiked miles and miles every day. A cruise would be a piece of cake.

My remark wasn't addressed to you.

Besides, privately between you and me , I doubt anyone with a propensity for risky behaviors is going to match your level of fitness at 63.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The older you are, the more likely you are to have a sudden, completely unexpected health disaster such as a heart attack or a stroke. Plus, the older you are, the older your parents are and the older your kids are. People forget that trip insurance isn't just covering medical emergencies that happen to them - it also covers the costs involved with having to rebook flights and cancel trip plans in order to get home ASAP because something dire has happened to a close relative.
My question was...what the heck is magic about 60? I know what trip insurance is. That has nothing to do with my question. If you want to say "hey when you start getting older and have health issues...", then fine. But 60 means nothing, as a number.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:30 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
My question was...what the heck is magic about 60? I know what trip insurance is. That has nothing to do with my question. If you want to say "hey when you start getting older and have health issues...", then fine. But 60 means nothing, as a number.
It's double the age of the poster who asked the question. That's the only significance, I think. At 30, it's still easy to believe that you're invincible. By age 60, you know that's not true, because you've probably been vinced a time or two (or know someone who has).

Old 06-04-2019, 04:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
At some point, people are going to risk NOT having the insurance if it's $300 or something. The odds of something happening in any one week if you're reasonably healthy are pretty small.
It's not just one week. Final payment for cruises is usually due 75-90 days before sailing. If you have to cancel within that period of time, you pay a penalty up to and including 100% of your cruise fare (depending upon how close to the sailing date you cancel).

Moreover, it's not just your health. Trip insurance covers you if a family member gets sick and you have to cancel your cruise or cut it short.

You really shouldn't opine on things when you have zero knowledge of the subject being discussed.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
This is just a personal oversight. It's kinda surprising really. Someone who can put $35k on a credit card for a helicopter retainer surely could have paid a few hundred bucks for actual trip insurance. FYI, a good source is https://www.insuremytrip.com/.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Personally, the thought of being stuck on a cruise ship for a week gives me the creeps.

After all the stories of ships infected with norovirus, people puking over the rails, rocking ships and filthy cabins, I can't understand the attraction.

A week of gluttony and excessive drinking is not my idea of a fun vacation.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
I think part of the problem is that some cruises have become so cheap that people who can't afford to rent an apartment at the beach opt for a cruise instead. Amazing, I know. Apartments at the beach near where I leave rent for around $1500 a week (or rooms at the Quality Inn for $250 a night), whereas a couple can get an interior cabin for $1000, including five-course dinners, buffet breakfasts, hamburgers and pizza for lunch, nightly entertainment, and transport to a variety of ports.

But since these are people on a tight budget, it is unlikely that they would spend $600 ($300 each) for good insurance. That would bring the cost up by more than half.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Personally, the thought of being stuck on a cruise ship for a week gives me the creeps.

After all the stories of ships infected with norovirus, people puking over the rails, rocking ships and filthy cabins, I can't understand the attraction.

A week of gluttony and excessive drinking is not my idea of a fun vacation.
I've been on more than 20 cruises and have never gotten ill or experienced a ship infected with Noro-virus. And as far as being "stuck" on a ship, many dock at 8 am, spend the day in port, and then sail at 5 pm - giving you time to get ready for dinner, enjoy the meal, see the show, and then go to bed, waking up the next morning just as you're arriving at your new destination. I actually consider it a floating hotel, and a very convenient way to see various cities.

(And NO.....I don't work for the crusielines! It's just my favorite vacation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement