Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So how was your trip to Maysville?
I don't want to derail this thread but it was awesome. Put an offer on a house and scheduling a home inspection now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to my future retirement location and honestly, my cat was the only thing I looked forward to coming back to. The first thing I did when I walked back into the door is call her name and she came out to greet me in a happy peppy manner. Today she's been by my side almost all day when most of the time she spends her days napping.
Some of us, myself included get very attached to our pets and they are more important than taking vacations. I never felt liberated when one of my dogs died either, just the opposite.
RIP sweet Beatrice.
I found a cat and dog rescue operation just a few miles from here. They pull senior pets from animal shelters and rehome them. I think I'm going to volunteer to foster a cat.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I found a cat and dog rescue operation just a few miles from here. They pull senior pets from animal shelters and rehome them. I think I'm going to volunteer to foster a cat.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
That's wonderful!!

Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to my future retirement location and honestly, my cat was the only thing I looked forward to coming back to. The first thing I did when I walked back into the door is call her name and she came out to greet me in a happy peppy manner. Today she's been by my side almost all day when most of the time she spends her days napping.
Some of us, myself included get very attached to our pets and they are more important than taking vacations. I never felt liberated when one of my dogs died either, just the opposite.
RIP sweet Beatrice.
I'm not suggesting that one would "feel" liberated as much as one would, in fact, "be" liberated. In my case, I intend to relocate and am really not sure how that's going to happen if I can't travel with my sick, elderly cats AND won't leave them with a pet sitter. In other words... I'll either buy a property sight-unseen and somehow try to get us all there once, for the actual move, or just stay put while I still have them, for which I'm grateful every day. It's unrealistic to say one isn't constrained by pets, but many of us happily accept it.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Fluffy, please forgive my misspelling of your beloved cat's name.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Our beloved Beatrice cat went peacefully to cat heaven tonight. She tried her best to stay with us but her liver had other plans.

I do not feel freed up to take a cruise around the world. I feel like I want another cat.

I have had cats continuously since the late Eighties. The tail count has waxed and waned; at one point we had seven fur slugs. And now there are zero.

It is not as liberating as I thought it would be.
Needless to say, I'm very sorry for your loss, Fluffy. How old was Beatrice? Going from seven pets to zero must be a shock.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I don't want to derail this thread but it was awesome. Put an offer on a house and scheduling a home inspection now
You must have a very trustworthy pet sitter! Congratulations.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You must have a very trustworthy pet sitter! Congratulations.
My next door neighbor came by each day to make sure everything was ok with her food and water. My cat runs and hides when anyone comes into the house. She run and hide even if the door bell rings. She was feral all her life until I gave her a home 2-3 years ago and is still very afraid of people except for me. She's in her mid teens now.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not suggesting that one would "feel" liberated as much as one would, in fact, "be" liberated. In my case, I intend to relocate and am really not sure how that's going to happen if I can't travel with my sick, elderly cats AND won't leave them with a pet sitter. In other words... I'll either buy a property sight-unseen and somehow try to get us all there once, for the actual move, or just stay put while I still have them, for which I'm grateful every day. It's unrealistic to say one isn't constrained by pets, but many of us happily accept it.
That’s the bottom line, what the individual is willing to trade off. Nobody can have their cake and eat it, too.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I wish the humane society was closer, I would love to volunteer with the animals.
If you're interested, there are other ways to volunteer without physically being there. Most rescues I know need help doing things that can be done online or over the phone, scheduling medical appointments, reviewing adoption applications, coordinating transport. There are many ways to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement