Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Some people get irritated about multi-tasking, as if it means they're not important to you. My dad was one of them. If he sensed you were doing anything else on the other side of the line than sitting motionless and talking to him, he would pause and ask if you were busy and would rather talk some other time.

NO, I wouldn't. I don't talk on the phone in the car, but otherwise the perfect time to talk is when I'm engaged in some mundane tasks like making dinner, feeding our pets, or taking a walk. If I have nothing else to do while on the phone, I'll be pacing in circles around the house--the one thing I will not be doing is sitting in a chair. That doesn't mean I don't want to talk. I enjoy talking. But if someone tells me that unless I carve out 30 minutes to do absolutely nothing but talk without moving then not to bother--well, I'm not going to be talking to them, on the phone or in person.

I don't think this is an old person vs. young person thing (I'm 50, definitely not young) but just a personality clash. Years ago, my new mother-in-law decided that I was "unsocial" because I preferred getting up and washing the dishes after dinner to staying in my chair at the table chatting for an hour. She'd say, "Just leave the dishes, sit down and let's talk!" and I would feel like I was going out of my mind sitting there. I took up knitting, and that helped, but a lot of people still assume that if I'm knitting I'm being rude by not really paying attention to the conversation--which is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 AM

357 posts, read 225,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That happened to me with a "friend." The only time I heard from her was when she was stuck in traffic somewhere and needed to pass the time. She interrupted the conversation abruptly, even if I were in the middle of a sentence, to announce, "well....got to hang up now....I'm pulling into the driveway."

She might have just as well said, "I've got no more use for you now." After a few of her "car calls," I told her it was dangerous to speak when she's driving on the highway, but that I'd call her in half-hour when she got home. She said, no.....that she'd be busy. And she never called again after that,
I have had the same from a brother and a friend. Calls to me are clearly drive-time distractions/time-fillers.
They only call so they can blah-blah-blah to me, not because they’re interested in anything I’m doing.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 AM

244 posts, read 235,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
My son lives 1000 miles away and he often calls while in the car. I understand it completely and it doesn't bother me in the least. I look forward to hearing from him no matter the circumstances. I often call people when I'm on the road. I consider it an efficient use of time.
Yeah, well I have mild attention deficit and, to me, the car noise is very distracting. I can’t carry on a conversation in a noisy bar either.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 AM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
I have a problem with a lot of the background noise when people call from their car. I think cell phones sometimes amplify noise so I do try to avoid talking to people while they are driving and doing other task that can be distracting.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
If someone calls while they are actually driving the car along the street or highway, I usually tell them to call me back when they get to where they are going and are no longer driving. The only exception is if they are just giving me a very short message, like "I'll be there in 15 minutes" and hangup. If they are a passenger in the car, OK, no big deal, talk away.

Talking on the phone while driving is distracted driving. It doesn't matter if it is "hands free" technology, using a ear phone and mic, or holding the phone. The person's brain activity is diverted from driving to the phone conversation they are having with you. It can be almost as dangerous (or maybe more dangerous) as drunk driving.

I could not imagine the sadness and guilt I would feel, if someone I cared about was talking on the phone with me, and something bad happened while this was going on. That is why the best thing you can do, for anyone you care about or even don't care that much about, is to tell them please hang up now and call me when you get to your destination or are not driving the car.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't have children, but I do have a distance friend who always would call from the car. She had a loud screechy voice at best, and I could feel her yelling at the dashboard. Hardly a conversation, and I don't think my cell is the best for conversation, either. I finally told her that I just couldn't not hear right and to communicate by email unless she was calling to say something like her flight is late. She's retired and has no reason to be yelling in the car like that. When she visited me once for a week, she was on the cell phone at my house, calling distance friends, and to me, yelling.

I refuse to have a conversation like that.
I do have a friend who is 67 who is on the road *a lot* for his job and can't really talk from his house because of his wife, and he truly is very busy with two jobs and caregiving. From him, I'll take a call.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:26 AM

130 posts, read 74,881 times
Maybe you should be happy that your "kid" thinks to call you

Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My kids never called when driving. They always put their phones away. Much better drivers than I am.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM

269 posts, read 480,972 times
Would you prefer they not call at all? I'm sorry this bothers you but unless the connection is terrible, you should enjoy the communication. They obviously want to talk to you or they wouldn't call at all.

Like most people today, I am very busy (wish I could retire), working full time, raising 2 teens, running a household and i really want to keep in touch with my aging and ill relatives as well as my friends. Usually, the only time I can give my undivided attention is when I am driving.

In today's age of technology and social media, I appreciate any face to face and phone communication.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If someone calls while they are actually driving the car along the street or highway, I usually tell them to call me back when they get to where they are going and are no longer driving. The only exception is if they are just giving me a very short message, like "I'll be there in 15 minutes" and hangup. If they are a passenger in the car, OK, no big deal, talk away.

Talking on the phone while driving is distracted driving. It doesn't matter if it is "hands free" technology, using a ear phone and mic, or holding the phone. The person's brain activity is diverted from driving to the phone conversation they are having with you. It can be almost as dangerous (or maybe more dangerous) as drunk driving.

I could not imagine the sadness and guilt I would feel, if someone I cared about was talking on the phone with me, and something bad happened while this was going on. That is why the best thing you can do, for anyone you care about or even don't care that much about, is to tell them please hang up now and call me when you get to your destination or are not driving the car.
I also consider it distracted driving. Pay attention to the road people.

To me calling while driving is just strange. But then i don't like to talk on the phone. I am a texter. Short and quick conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement