Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking they do it so they can have an "out" and limit the length of the call. They may find it nearly impossible to "end" the conversation with you otherwise. They want to occasionally talk a bit, just not for an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 10:50 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
(1) I never drive.
(2) I never call anybody.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
I’m on the other side of that. Not yet retired with elderly folks. Travel for work. Calling while driving allows me to talk to them with no interruptions. I wear earphones while talking to help with background noise. It’s the best I can do for now. And at this point, it’s not really conversation but listening to a rehashing of every story or complaint that I’ve already heard ad nauseum.
Really?

Do you realize how many "adult" kids are nothing more than whiny a-holes. Boooooooooooooooooooring.

Don't call, write when you get a life.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:01 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Any time, from anywhere, I'll take their calls. It's the way the world is these days and to not adapt can make you appear demanding or needy. You're retired. You can take a call anytime. But to a younger person juggling a career, child raising, a social life and more.. time is very precious.
^^^This

My kids have very little available time to chat. When they are driving they do have time so we're pleased to take the call.

A generation ago, one professional income could support a family; now, in expensive cities like San Fran, NYC, Boston or Seattle, it takes two professional incomes. That means your kids live a super hectic life. Time is their least available resource.

Just take the call and be glad you were able to live a more simple life when you were their age.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:11 AM

882 posts, read 766,600 times
Both of my children call me on their way to or home from work. It doesn’t bother me at all. They both have families and are very busy. It really never dawned on me for this to bother me.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:32 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This was never a problem when there was one phone in the house and it was mounted on the kitchen wall.
It was mounted on the kitchen wall so the chatty housewives could continue to cook their husband’s dinner while they talked to other housewives about the latest soap opera.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:00 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I have two of our children on my Find Friends app such that I can see where they are. If they are driving, I don’t bother them and I especially don’t text them. If they are driving, and it is important, I will call them and not stay on long. I can also FaceTime when they are not driving, so we can interact with the grandchildren. The third child takes forever to text back and sometimes never answers calls. And she is the one who lives farthest away.

By adapting to using text, I have found I stay in contact with them much more than if I used phone calls only. It wasn’t hard tow adapt, though, since I was given a company Blackberry soon after they first came out. They switched to iPhones later on for security reasons. That was about the same time I was going from pc to iOS in my personal life. I love how everything can be integrated in the Apple world. But that is another topic.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
Does your kid only call you when they are driving somewhere because they are so “busy”?

Does it irritate you? (I have ADD and the noise is very distracting.)

Does it matter to your kid that it bothers you? (It apparently doesn’t bother mine.)

Is it so hard to take a half hour out of their week to talk?
(We live across the country from each other.)

</rant>
I don’t care when he calls. Love hearing from him. It’s often from the grocery store when he needs advice on ingredients for a recipe.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:34 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
I don’t call anyone unless its business, and nobody calls me, therefore my time is my own.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:40 AM

829 posts, read 629,647 times
I used to call my mother almost every day on my 45-60 minute drive home from work. She lived with my older sister about 2.5 hours away and I'm told she looked forward to the calls, which came at a time nobody else was home. I had only about 3.5 hours from the time I got home to the time I went to bed, during which time I had dinner to fix, housework to do, errands to run and a husband to spend time with. My calls to mom would have been much further apart and shorter if I didn't/couldn't call her from the car.

I would consider it a blessing your child makes the effort to call you with whatever time they have available. I enjoyed talking to my mother, so I wasn't slighting her, but calling at a time when I could talk the longest - she's been gone 8.5 years and I still miss her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement