Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Like I said, I post for fun, however I’m not nostalgic about things at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I know with aging comes a little looking back over ones life. However, when is enough...enough?

Every day there is a thread harkening back to "when you were a kid," or "growing up, did you," etc.

Maybe it's me, but I don't have the nostalgia gene. Anyone else who doesn't feel the need to constantly re-examine ones entire life?
Nostalgia for me are glances in the rear view mirror. I don't long for anything in the past, and there are many things about life 40+ years ago (I'm 59) that I really miss. I'm still constantly upgrading technology, searching out new metal music, watching current movies, in short meaning I'm generally looking forward in life. But the past has its lessons. I try to draw upon my past to help me in making decisions now. I don't have nostalgia genes, but I work with my past instead of pushing it away. I believe I need to co-exist with my past.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
I knew a man once who lived in his past (in his head) because he hated his present and couldn't see a future. So sad.

I'm a bit middle of the road with all this. Somebody will say something that reminds me of something past, and it is interesting to remember and compare. But I don't stay there. Soon I'm back in the present again. As I age, though, I find myself more in the present than hopeful for the future. I don't beat myself up over mistakes made long ago either, or pine for those times.

I don't keep things from my childhood either. Stuff that's outlived its usefulness gets tossed.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Well, I can remember things from 65 years ago but not what I ate for breakfast this morning. Actually it is good to stretch your memory a bit. Comparing experiences is also interesting. We come from all over the country with all kinds of backgrounds and some of us find it more interesting than others.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:20 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
My wife was non-nostalgic in a strong way. Conditions changed and she dusted herself off and looked to the future, things that would have floored many people just were put out of mind. I look back somewhat regularly, but not in a nostalgic fashion and more to recognize the varieties of life and work that I've had, events I've witnessed, and lessons I've learned.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Guess I'm pretty much a non-nostaligic. Love that term.

I do like the I'm so old I remember thread on the other topics forum. That's sort of a game.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Don't think you're alone, charlygal.. I might get proven wrong but I don't think I've posted in any of those threads.
Nothing wrong with reminiscing, just not my thing.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:04 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I like remembering who I used to be and the stories that go along with it. Sometimes something will trigger a memory or some of the threads here will. It’s all good, like reading a book at the beach: nothing too taxing and a nice way to escape once in a while.
There's no way that I'm going to stop reminding my older sister that she drew a chalk line on the floor through the middle of our shared bedroom and told me that I wasn't allowed to cross it. My bed and clothing was on the far side of the room, so that was a problem. I laugh every time I think about it.

I choose to remember the good times. I have no use for the rest. Though the monsters, dragons and vampires occasionally escape their dungeons and threaten to ruin my day, they no longer frighten me.

I am me because of my past.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:50 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Not nostalgic about things most people tend to be...family histories, heirlooms, human traditions, etc. I do feel some nostalgia over things in nature...think back to specific places, trees, vistas, I loved, miss or mourn if they are changed or destroyed.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:10 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Being "in the moment" is one of the hardest things we humans can do. Seems we're either looking to our past or the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement