Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Frankly I would not be happy without either of those.

Definitely not for me.
Me either. So glad I have security and AFFORDABLE health care here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
Ecuador is on my radar, I've read nice things about it, and I think there are quite a few retirees from my hometown here that retired over there.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My benchmark is, if you wake up at 2 am with chest pains, who you gonna call?
This is a good question, prices a cheaper in rural areas with poor emergency services, thats just the way it is. Developed resort areas have better service but are quite more expensive. it is a catch 22.

thats why at lot of people chooses to live on the peripheries of tourist towns, where prices are cheaper but they have access to most of the modern conveniences, is just a question of finding the right balance.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
A valid question, that likely has valid answers in certain expat retirement destinations. This should be researched beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My benchmark is, if you wake up at 2 am with chest pains, who you gonna call?

Old 08-16-2019, 11:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
If you run into a major medical issue good luck. I know too much and wouldn't be satisfied I am mostly sure. Dental, too. My husband had a crown re-cemented on in Brazil and it fell off within a week. I'll take my US dentist.
I also don't like that there aren't enough rules to control various things, like someone mentioned, noise, other issues, too. Just various standards we're used to. Not that we don't have issues though! For some people, it's prob. paradise.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If you run into a major medical issue good luck. I know too much and wouldn't be satisfied I am mostly sure. Dental, too. My husband had a crown re-cemented on in Brazil and it fell off within a week. I'll take my US dentist.
I also don't like that there aren't enough rules to control various things, like someone mentioned, noise, other issues, too. Just various standards we're used to. Not that we don't have issues though! For some people, it's prob. paradise.
My real life experience - I had a temporary bridge for a tooth done in the US (which the real bridge was in construction in the lab) and needed to travel to Germany in the interim. The temp broke very quickly and I had to go to a dentist in Germany. They were appalled at the poor quality! And, I got a temporary bridge that was of much higher quality - for a very reasonable price. So, the idea that work quality in the US is uniformly great and that abroad is uniformly poor is simply false. At least speaking of Germany (and Japan), I have found the medical care to be noticeably better than in the US and the prices much more reasonable. And, I am not talking renowned and fancy hospitals - just the nearest doctor down the street type experiences. [Japan is a bit different but the same experience a high level.]

Old 08-16-2019, 12:03 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
She’s 63 and living by the beach in Mexico on $1,000 a month: ‘I can’t imagine living in the U.S. again’

Interesting.

Two issues for me; safety and good medical care or I could do it if I didn't have family.

But an interesting article.
Yes, I lived overseas now and I do not want to even try retiring in the US, let alone in a beautiful area.

It's just too expensive in the cost of living and medical.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I think this sounds amazing at 63 but I'm wondering about the feasibility at 73. Or 83. And she is single. Again; 63 would be okay but to be totally on your own, with no spouse or family at 73 might leave some very vulnerable.

I've done the road trip from Colorado to Mazatlan; it took 3 days. This was back in the 1980s & I don't know about the difference in safety but this was right after some American professor had been murdered on the highway.

I would agree that Mazatlan is beautiful, adorable & charming even & that the city seems more laid-back & American-friendly than others. Average high temps range from 80-93 & lows from 58-77; ya know ... I think if I could I would just go for it.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I think this sounds amazing at 63 but I'm wondering about the feasibility at 73. Or 83. And she is single. Again; 63 would be okay but to be totally on your own, with no spouse or family at 73 might leave some very vulnerable.
Why? Or rather, why more vulnerable than they would be back home?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
...The temp broke very quickly and I had to go to a dentist in Germany. They were appalled at the poor quality! And, I got a temporary bridge that was of much higher quality - for a very reasonable price. So, the idea that work quality in the US is uniformly great and that abroad is uniformly poor is simply false. At least speaking of Germany (and Japan), I have found the medical care to be noticeably better than in the US and the prices much more reasonable....
That's further evidence of the stark distinction between retiring in a first-world country, and a "developing" one. The latter, evidently, is done for cost-reduction... and the former, for improved quality of life.

Again I say: the whole point of retiring abroad, is to enjoy more options of culture, amenities or social interaction... rather than to save money on a sack of onions, a hand-woven carpet or a beachfront condo. Prices for most things (other than healthcare or higher education) in America are actually quite low. And the US federal government will demand a donation from your capital-gains, no matter where you happen to reside (unless you renounce US citizenship... not an entirely bizarre option)... so, international adventure does nothing to reduce the expense of taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement