Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Second day in a row for open windows. So nice that spring is here. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:07 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
With lower humidity and a breeze, I had to water my plants in the back tonight. I have an expandable hose I keep in a big terra-cotta pot out of the sun. Yeah, you can probably guess where this is going. I grabbed the hose out to hook up to the faucet, but the bottom of the pot looked different. There was a red rat or corn snake laying very still there. 10 minutes later, it left to find a better place in the yard. They are a good snake to have in the yard and are pretty easy-going for a snake. I decided to hang my hose where I can clearly see all of it from now on though. I’d post a photo, it is really a beautiful creature, but others don’t view snakes as kindly as I do, so I won’t in this forum.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
With lower humidity and a breeze, I had to water my plants in the back tonight. I have an expandable hose I keep in a big terra-cotta pot out of the sun. Yeah, you can probably guess where this is going. I grabbed the hose out to hook up to the faucet, but the bottom of the pot looked different. There was a red rat or corn snake laying very still there. 10 minutes later, it left to find a better place in the yard. They are a good snake to have in the yard and are pretty easy-going for a snake. I decided to hang my hose where I can clearly see all of it from now on though. I’d post a photo, it is really a beautiful creature, but others don’t view snakes as kindly as I do, so I won’t in this forum.
That reminds me of when I reached into the pool skimmer basket to get some leaves out. There was a racer there who was very grateful for the path out of the skimmer; right up my arm. Decided after that to look carefully before sticking my hand down into the skimmer basket.

We always had racers around our house in Florida. I liked them; my wife finally grew to tolerate them. I wonder how many generations there were in the 24 years we lived there.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Second day in a row for open windows. So nice that spring is here. lol.
It is weird (to me) to think of it being spring. You obviously are in the “bottom hemisphere.” Never been there myself. Is the Southern Cross what you use, like our North Star, Polaris?

Nice job of organizing the garage. I need to make better use of mine. Slowly getting there.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I will be 68 years-old on the 25th of September. How is that possible? I was only 20 just yesterday and now I'm an old fossil!

I hear you! I understand perfectly.

Every morning I look in the mirror to shave and I see a sagging face, grey hair, puffy eyes. Oy.

Wasn't it just yesterday I was 20 in college going out dancing in the discos to Barry White and Donna Summer? I remember the tight pants ... and the gold neck chain.

Wasn't it just yesterday I was in my early 30's driving around in my sporty red Honda Prelude. I was preoccupied with my career - should I ask for a promotion? Should I start applying to other competitors?

And suddenly ... here we are. I just got my senior transit pass. My phone is constantly ringing with people trying to sell me supplemental Medicare insurance. People are offering me their seat on the trolley.

What happened?

It all went by so fast!

On Facebook a few weeks ago I was informed another High School classmate just passed away. Yikes! The rustling trees outside mock me by whispering "YOU'RE NEXT!"

I tell myself that growing old is a privilege, and one that is denied to many.

I miss my Mom and Dad.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:53 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I will be 68 years-old on the 25th of September. How is that possible? I was only 20 just yesterday and now I'm an old fossil!

Was thinking of treating myself to a day up in Telluride to get up in the mountains and check out the fall colors. I could treat myself to dinner at some posh eatery, maybe have a glass of wine or two at the bar and flirt with the hopelessly young bartender!

But that will be a major expenditure on my slim budget. Telluride or hold onto my cash?

Decisions, decisions...
Spend a little of it in Telluride but you don’t have to go posh/expensive. GNAR TACO!!!!!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:53 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
That reminds me of when I reached into the pool skimmer basket to get some leaves out. There was a racer there who was very grateful for the path out of the skimmer; right up my arm. Decided after that to look carefully before sticking my hand down into the skimmer basket.

We always had racers around our house in Florida. I liked them; my wife finally grew to tolerate them. I wonder how many generations there were in the 24 years we lived there.
Yikes, what a surprise that was! The first rule I learned when gardening, especially here, is not to put my hand where I can’t see. Even with a pool cage, I quickly scan the pool before getting in. I hadn’t thought about the skimmer basket, thanks.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:22 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Yikes, what a surprise that was! The first rule I learned when gardening, especially here, is not to put my hand where I can’t see. Even with a pool cage, I quickly scan the pool before getting in. I hadn’t thought about the skimmer basket, thanks.

One day I was swimming and suddenly noticed a large reptilian head sticking out of the skimmer basket. It was a large Sonora Desert toad. I felt sorry for it and with some difficulty rescued it, even though it could poison my dogs if they got hold of it. It was very heavy and hard to get out. I relocated it outside the fence. I later found it had left an egg strip in the pool. Not wanting baby toxic toads around, I removed it. And now I close the pool cover at night even in the summer.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
No snakes or reptiles here. Thank God.
I'm a fan of C & W music and have been listening to some of my favorites this afternoon (when I thought I would be working around here). Have been watching Ken Burns' presentation of Country Music on PBS and it just really got to me. Had forgotten about so much of it, the "old timers" right on up through current. Times were pretty tough for many at the beginning.

Any fans out there?

Old 09-23-2019, 04:20 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
No snakes or reptiles here. Thank God.
I'm a fan of C & W music and have been listening to some of my favorites this afternoon (when I thought I would be working around here). Have been watching Ken Burns' presentation of Country Music on PBS and it just really got to me. Had forgotten about so much of it, the "old timers" right on up through current. Times were pretty tough for many at the beginning.

Any fans out there?
Funny, but true -- decades ago when I had to commute to downtown L.A., I would always have the station tuned to the country station during the work week, even though I preferred rock and classical. Somehow, the "easy listening, sing along" quality of C & W music just mellowed me out in bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic! I especially enjoyed the music of George Strait, Waylon Jennings, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, and MANY others. (Mostly all male, though; I never much cared for many of the female C & W singers -- I don't know why.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement