Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 04:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,327,431 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...3fe_story.html

"So you want to live to a healthy old age. But how?

You could start doing push-ups. A study published in February found that men who can hammer out 40 push-ups in one session had a lower risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease compared with guys who could do only 10 or fewer.

Or you could practice going from sitting on the floor to standing. Another study concluded that how easily people over 50 can do that is a good predictor of how long they might live.

Perhaps you want to work on your grip strength. That’s another measure that tracks longevity in middle-aged folks.

And if none of those appeal, you could always try improving your walking speed, which researchers have used to predict mortality rates in older adults."

"Exercise is key

The most powerful way to promote longevity and improve your long-term health is also simple and, depending on how you do it, free.

“There’s no question that exercise is the biggest anti-aging medicine there’s ever going to be — it’s really huge,” Lithgow says.

“Hands down, nothing compares to exercise,” says Laura L. Carstensen, founding director of the Stanford Center on Longevity. “The great thing is that most people can do it, and you don’t need 10,000 steps per day to get the benefits.” It takes remarkably little exercise to get longevity benefits."

Other things include getting enough sleep, eating well, minimizing stress, drinking moderately, and having and maintaining social connections.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 05:03 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

You could start doing push-ups. A study published in February found that men who can hammer out 40 push-ups in one session had a lower risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease compared with guys who could do only 10 or fewer.

Or you could practice going from sitting on the floor to standing. Another study concluded that how easily people over 50 can do that is a good predictor of how long they might live.

Perhaps you want to work on your grip strength. That’s another measure that tracks longevity in middle-aged folks.

And if none of those appeal, you could always try improving your walking speed, which researchers have used to predict mortality rates in older adults."

"Exercise is key

The most powerful way to promote longevity and improve your long-term health is also simple and, depending on how you do it, free.

“There’s no question that exercise is the biggest anti-aging medicine there’s ever going to be — it’s really huge,” Lithgow says.

“Hands down, nothing compares to exercise,” says Laura L. Carstensen, founding director of the Stanford Center on Longevity. “The great thing is that most people can do it, and you don’t need 10,000 steps per day to get the benefits.” It takes remarkably little exercise to get longevity benefits."

Other things include getting enough sleep, eating well, minimizing stress, drinking moderately, and having and maintaining social connections.

Your thoughts?

In a perfect world...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 AM

330 posts, read 429,062 times
I have no doubt exercise is good for you and how much of any kind of movement you get throughout the day is huge "sitting is the new smoking" but I would guess people that can do that many pushups are doing a lot of other healthy behaviors as well. so, hard to say how much is just the exercise.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:06 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times
Exercise. Hands down. Most people think they can lose weight with exercise - but they are wrong. The best benefit of regular exercise is keeping your physiologic numbers intact: blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, keeps Alzheimer’s at bay.

Good genes. I have the benefit of my mother’s excellent gene pool. Estrogen dominance which when I was younger was a curse.... has proved to be a help in my later years.

I had a funny compliment the other day .... like my mother, people have told me I do not look like I am 65 years old.... more like 10 years younger. But the dental hygienist said - “you don’t have the mouth, teeth and gums of an older person”. I didn’t know how to respond to that - but I’ll take it!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:

If only there were a little thing called causation involved.

I recall an analysis of the topic that showed you increased your life span by the sum of the hours put in exercising.

I just wish there were snow year-round. Most of my exercise is on the ski slopes in the Moguls.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Take care of yourself when you are young?

Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
LOL. If only. If you have an old-person affliction like arthritis, you can't do any of that stuff.

Except maybe walk fast, which I do. Every day.

My grip is worsening, due to hand arthritis and that depresses me to no end. "Here, DH, open this screw top water bottle". SIGH.

Certainly worth it to be ABLE to get off the floor, if you perchance find yourself down there. But it will take all my limbs for take-off.

Summation: Not interested in longevity, just quality. At this point.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:45 AM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
What do they mean by 40 pushups in one session? Weasel wording. Then they go on to say even less exercise reaps rewards. So which is it? Needs lots? Little is just as good?

Old 09-29-2019, 09:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that I don't really care about living to a ripe old age. What I want are quality years. We try to eat well, live healthy, exercise, have fun. Whatever age that gets me to, I am fine with.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,734 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Adequate and appropriate exercise (for your metabolism and physical structure)
Healthiest Food choice for you at this time (Considering heart / diabetes / digestive / blood disorders, metabolism)
PORTION control !

stay active in mind and body and soul.

(I swim vigorously whenever possible, good time to THINK as well)
Walk fast and a lot.
always take steps (while able)

If I can't sleep, I get up and do 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups, that puts me down for a couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Summation: Not interested in longevity, just quality. At this point.
Precisely!
Longevity is FAR down the list for me. Thus I ascribe to the foolish idea that every hour of sleep you lose comes off the 'tail-end' of your life. (3-4 hrs max sleep at the moment, many yrs with less).

30 yrs of working night shift / Asia support and coming home to barking neighbor dogs (neighbors worked days and left their (7) dogs home barking all day), ... preceded by 20 yrs of farming (including dairy farm boarding school (4AM 'wake-up-call') ruined any chances of sleep.

Ought to be croaking-off any minute now (That's fine)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement