Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
We buy Duke's. We'll see who lasts longer

You've got a bet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 12:14 PM

83 posts, read 67,666 times
Eating less (like eating 80% of your required daily intake) is the only really proven way to extend your life, it drops your metabolism, which slows down the ageing process (think turtle vs Humming bird).

Old 09-30-2019, 12:33 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Repeat after me: VO2 max, VO2 max. Keeping it from dramatically declining after age 60 is your best bet.
Where would someone go to have it measured? What type of medical professional?

Old 09-30-2019, 12:49 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Eating less (like eating 80% of your required daily intake) is the only really proven way to extend your life, it drops your metabolism, which slows down the ageing process (think turtle vs Humming bird).

Proven by whom and where; what medical journals? We are human beings. Having a low metabolism doesn't necessarily slow the aging process, but can be associated with disease, as in hypothyroidism.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You can increase your life expectancy by 20% if you make #4 above "Two Shots of Whisky Every Evening."
Well, I do 4 oz shots if that helps.......

Old 09-30-2019, 01:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...3fe_story.html

"So you want to live to a healthy old age. But how?

You could start doing push-ups. A study published in February found that men who can hammer out 40 push-ups in one session had a lower risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease compared with guys who could do only 10 or fewer.

Perhaps you want to work on your grip strength. That’s another measure that tracks longevity in middle-aged folks.
How about sexual push-ups, AKA 'the old in and out'?

And I do many more than 40 per session.

Wife works on grip strength.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
You can do what you want. As for me this is what I do:

Eat well, no sugar or anything that has sugar. Lots of vegetables and fruits, cut down on any processed foods.

Drink water, maybe put a lemon slice to flavor it up. No soda or other sugary drinks.

No tobacco or products made from tobacco. Don't smoke anything.

No drinking alcohol of any kind.

No energy drinks. No coffee, no starbucks

No drugs.

7 to 8 hours of sleep a night.

Work into your 80's or longer. If you can't work or choose not to work, keep a schedule just like when you were working. Get up in the morning, have breakfast, stay busy during the day. have lunch when you normally would have lunch. Have a plan for how you will spend your time.

I see it as a waste of a great life when someone retires and sits around watching TV all day. I have a neighbor like that. She is 70 now and watches TV constantly. Eats constantly. She recently spent the last couple months in the hospital because of her health. Poor lifestyle choices brought her to the hospital.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
I'm young but I feel like continually working will help you live long. Alot of centenarians still work at something. They don't sit around and just eat bon bons. Maybe that's the real key.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
I think the people who crank out 40 push-ups at a time are doing more than that to stay healthy. They obviously care about their bodies, and likely tend to do other things that keep them healthy as well, such as eat right, watch their weight, etc. So I wouldn't say that simply doing 40 push-ups at a time will make you live longer. There is more to their longevity than the push-ups....they work at being healthy, and doing push-ups is just one thing they do to accomplish that.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

I had a funny compliment the other day .... like my mother, people have told me I do not look like I am 65 years old.... more like 10 years younger. But the dental hygienist said - “you don’t have the mouth, teeth and gums of an older person”. I didn’t know how to respond to that - but I’ll take it!
LOL!

That reminded me about an experience when I was about 60. The technician during my osteoporosis exam told me "You have the bones of a 45 year old!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement