Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:11 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can do what you want. As for me this is what I do:

Eat well, no sugar or anything that has sugar. Lots of vegetables and fruits, cut down on any processed foods.

Drink water, maybe put a lemon slice to flavor it up. No soda or other sugary drinks.

No tobacco or products made from tobacco. Don't smoke anything.

No drinking alcohol of any kind.

No energy drinks. No coffee, no starbucks

No drugs.

7 to 8 hours of sleep a night.

Work into your 80's or longer. If you can't work or choose not to work, keep a schedule just like when you were working. Get up in the morning, have breakfast, stay busy during the day. have lunch when you normally would have lunch. Have a plan for how you will spend your time.

I see it as a waste of a great life when someone retires and sits around watching TV all day. I have a neighbor like that. She is 70 now and watches TV constantly. Eats constantly. She recently spent the last couple months in the hospital because of her health. Poor lifestyle choices brought her to the hospital.

Your neighbor sounds terribly depressed. Perhaps you can look into helping her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 PM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
What actually can help you live to a ripe old age

How about good genes?

I've thought of those that don't smoke and don't drink but then think of a relative who didn't do either of those things and passed away. Then you have the Keith Richards type. Oh yea, and George Burns. Both of which have/had lived a lot longer than many would have expected given their penchant for smoking, drinking and some other drugs.

Last edited by cat1116; 09-30-2019 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 08:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Getting together with friends, going out with them and socializing or playing cards is good for keeping spirits up. Good for general well-being.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:36 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Dan Buettner has pretty much decoded what it takes for whole populations to live a long life. The interesting thing he found out was that most long lived populations didn't really know what the key to long life was, either. They just lived naturally in a way that led to long life without thinking about it. It included things such as:

--A natural, plant based diet that didn't include sugar or other processed foods.

--Exercise, not as a separate activity, but as a normal way of being. i.e. They lived in "floor cultures" where you got up and down 25X a day. Or they lived in 3 story houses where you went up and down the stairs a lot. Houses were de-convenienced. i.e. No electric egg beaters...they mixed things with wooden spoons. No automatic garage door opener, they opened the door by hand. Driving your car everywhere was not the norm. Instead, walking or biking places was. Or they were like the 7th Day Adventists, where nature walks are essentially part of the religion.

--Regular spiritual practice of some sort.

--Strong family/community bonds.

The hard part is the implementation because so much of how are lives are set up in the U.S. work against a healthy lifestyle.

He's working on that too with his Blue Zones cities. Some success in places like Albert Lea, MN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so_1etvOJiw

Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
“Work into your 80’s?”

OH HELL NO.

Why would I spend a precious moment of MY life handing it over to an employer?

I think staying engaged with people - like volunteering or having a social circle is OK - but actually sitting at a desk for another 15 years?

You must be kidding.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 AM

83 posts, read 67,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Proven by whom and where; what medical journals? We are human beings. Having a low metabolism doesn't necessarily slow the aging process, but can be associated with disease, as in hypothyroidism.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03431-x

Old 10-01-2019, 07:33 AM

83 posts, read 67,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can do what you want. As for me this is what I do:

Eat well, no sugar or anything that has sugar. Lots of vegetables and fruits, cut down on any processed foods.
Fruit has tons of sugar, I think an apple has a much sugar as a Snickers Bar. And yes, it's all the same sugar.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I eat a lot of fruit, tons of sugar but I’m loosing weight. Lowest weight in almost 10 years. They are not packed as dense as Snickers, plus there’s fiber.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:23 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post

Thanks, but that isn't a medical journal. It is an extremely limited trial, and not on people, for the most part. Not conclusive, either.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 AM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Fruit has tons of sugar, I think an apple has a much sugar as a Snickers Bar. And yes, it's all the same sugar.

I am always surprised that people, particularly people who are into healthful eating, keep talking about fruit. It should be at the top of the food pyramid. Eat little to none of it. Loaded with sugar. A real gut-bomb as far as calories vs nutrition. Does it have good stuff in it? Sure! So does constantly maligned meat and saturated fat, and even grains. Whatever fruit has you can get eating other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement